Getting PREP in UK

fungayboy

I have been thinking of going on PrEP but in the UK it isn't (yet) available on the NHS. I have been looking into it and found the site https://www.iwantprepnow.co.uk which explains about it. Looking at their suppliers they say actually sell PrEP and their preferred reseller "Dynamix International" anyone have experience with them? Also they sell both Tenvir and Ricovir - with Tenvir being cheaper by a bit.

Just wondering what those who use it are on?

Fungayboy,

Hi! I'm across the pond in Canada; I live very close to Toronto, Ontario. I'm on the generic Truvada - Mylan-Emtricitabine/Tenofovir Disoproxil. The generic version of Truvada made by Mylan is now covered under my provincial health ministry drug plan. Also, I've been on Truvada for almost 2 years now.

Here's a backgrounder for you: http://thesexyouwant.ca/prep/how-to-get-it/

I don't know if the info here helps you! Governments anywhere love paperwork. Paperwork is totally unnecessary. Get generic Prep into the hands of barebackers as soon as possible! Cheers!

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, fungayboy said:

A down side of being south of the border :(

no quite the opposite,but soon we will be free and when  the remaining parts of uk will be in very serious economic trouble

Westminster state they are the sovereign power and say no but we are the people and we say YES

we are a modern progressive free thinking nation fit for the 21 st century whilst Westminster is stuck in days of empire which no longer exists and IS NOT FIT FOR PURPOSE

I feel so sad for ENGLAND its high time you found and established a new, proper and fitting identity then and only then will you have a chance and some hope for a deserved future for your citizens. as opposed to a new blue passport, DO NOT BE FOOLED BY THE ELITE,THEIR CRONIES IN THE MEDIA(ALL OF IT)  wake up WE HAVE

• Downvote 3

• 4 weeks later...

I live down south and on a PreP trial being run by the NHS. Get yourself down to the local sexual health clinic and ask to join the trial, the one I'm on is called "Impact" and you get it for free. Just have to commit to quarterly check ups, which makes sense if not on PreP for all the other nasties out there..

• Upvote 2

• 1 month later...

There's an active NHS trial now in England, open for 10,000 people. Only selected GUM clinics are offering it but seems you can just go to your nearest one, even though it might not be your usual clinic.

Some areas, like London, Manchester and Newcastle have been in the trial since October, more are now accepting sign ups, and there are more still to come. Should be around 230 clinics in total once they're all setup. 

Details are at https://www.prepimpacttrial.org.uk

• 5 weeks later...

Just an update, I've started on the Prep trial this week - 

Went to the clinic, nurse went through the scheme and what it involves. Did an instant HIV test (no point doing Prep if you're already HIV+) and a full screen for everything else.

I'm doing event based, so two pills at least 2 hours before sex, then one a day until two sex free days have passed. Alternatively, you can choose to take it every day. In either case, you get three months supply of Truvada.

I've got to go back every three months for another HIV test and full screening, so they can monitor if it works, and they're also investigating if it leads to an increase of other STIs. Then, I'll be given another three months supply of drugs.

Happy to answer any questions about it, just shout

• 1 month later...
On 1/8/2018 at 12:20 PM, fungayboy said:

I have been thinking of going on PrEP but in the UK it isn't (yet) available on the NHS. I have been looking into it and found the site https://www.iwantprepnow.co.uk which explains about it. Looking at their suppliers they say actually sell PrEP and their preferred reseller "Dynamix International" anyone have experience with them? Also they sell both Tenvir and Ricovir - with Tenvir being cheaper by a bit.

Just wondering what those who use it are on?

Hey mate,

Prep is available via the NHS through the IMPACT trial.  Message me if you want details

• 2 months later...
On 8/26/2018 at 8:02 PM, Coventrylad said:

I’ve been thinking of getting prep later this week. Would they ask a lot of questions about my sex life to decide if I should take daily or on demand? 

Cheers. 

If your talking about prep on the impact trial 

they don’t decide about daily vs event-based (on demand), that’s your choice.

as forlots of questions, no more than at any Sti/std clinic screening (how many partners, etc.)