Is this guy crazy?

I was speaking to another fellow strict top who never bottoms ...he is uncut and does bareback on a very regular basis with anon strangers in the sauna/bathhouse...almost every weekend. He says he hasn't tested for HIV in over 3 years. I asked him why? I said that for someone barebacking on such a regular basis and fucking so many hundreds (literally hundreds ) of anon holes each year - he really should be testing. He said no, he is fearless and doesn't "give a fuck". I asked, does he not worry at all whatsoever about HIV? he said no, that as a strict top, it is "very unlikely to ever happen". I told him he is crazy and that if he carries on, he will, at some stage whether sooner or later, end up poz eventually....and given that he is uncut, I said his risk is not low, but actually quite moderate to even high. Still, he would not have it. He said I don't know what I'm talking about. I said to him if tops couldn't get it, then how did AIDS become such a huge thing in cities like New York, San Francisco, L.A. , London, Paris etc in the epidemic of the 1980s and early 1990s? Gay and bisexual men were dropping dead like flies...surely, they couldn't all be bottom. He said that it was only because of versatile guys that the virus spread and not because of strict tops .

I think this guy is talking bullshit and just doesn't want to face hard, cold facts. He's maybe just scared shitless of what he's doing and knows it's very dangerous...maybe he suspects he may indeed already be poz and just in denial? He basically ended the conversation by saying that he can fuck raw without being on PrEP or taking PEP as long as he remains a strict top, and he should be ok.

Is this guy crazy? Or is he correct? 

Edited by concerned1

Guest Upstateguy518

You're not gonna change his mind so let it happen. He's bound to catch it sooner or later fucking raw, Doesn't matter if you top or bottom.

Being wrong or misinformed is not the same as being crazy; however, some people refuse to accept facts that run counter to their beliefs and will continue to be wrong or misinformed.   You did your best to educate the person, now you need to let it go for your own peace of mind.  

• Upvote 1

If he really said "very unlikely to happen" he's admitting that there is a risk as a top, so that's something.  But, the "very unlikely" part is probably being too generous.  The risk is lower as a top, but not impossible.  And, as you have said, his being uncut will add to the risk. 

As others have said, you may not get him to change his mind during the course of a conversation with him, but having a conversation at all is a good starting point.  It may not be wise to "hit him over the head" with a bunch of stuff (factual articles you may find online to send him and such), but if it ever comes up again you might want to have something to show him. 

It's up to him what he wants to do and the level of uncertainty he's comfortable with.  It would be unfortunate if he is infected with HIV (and any other STI's out there) and doesn't find out until it progresses to a critical point of sickness, not to mention the fact that he would be spreading things like crazy if he really is having so much anon sex every week.  That's not good for our communities (the gay/bi community, the barebacking community, the sex-positive community), despite what some of the bug-chasers and spreaders on this site may say.  Sometimes I think we all still need to see that poster/diagram they have in testing clinics that show how having multiple partners spreads diseases like wildfire. 

Bottom-line:  ALL of us are susceptible to STI's/HIV, especially when we bareback, and being a strict top doesn't necessarily make it any less of an issue.  (just think of all the other things he has probably been exposed to - gono/chlamydia, syphilis, herpes. Is he getting tested for those?)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Guest descartes70817

I would say he is sadly misinformed. I educated myself and accepted that there was a lower, but still significant, risk of infection, even as a strict top but it was a risk I accepted. I convinced myself that I would never fuck enough guys to be at serious risk but I was as wrong as I could possibly be about that. I didn't test, and that was how the first I knew I was poz was after I almost died from double pneumonia last year. Tell your friend to grow the fuck up and take responsibility for himself. Having to track down everyone you can remember to inform them sucks, especially when one of them is your wife.

• 1 month later...
Guest BBBoyfromTN

Like others have said he's not crazy, just misinformed, probably in denial, and likely using that as an explanati N/justification for fucking bare. My sex Ed in school was awful and I'd heard that whole "you can't get it if you're a top" bs too. I'm uncut and only found when it was too late that tops are at WAY more risk if they're uncut. Of all my fuck buds the ones who were uncut have almost all either pozzed or went on PREP; one was all top and he got pozzed so there's some annecdotal proof.

you tried to educate him but he's not going to admit to being wrong or misinformed. Guys like that, and like me, won't admit to that. Even after getting a good sex education I still barebacked cause it felt good, I hated condoms on me and in me, and loved the feeling of a guy cumming inside me and cumming inside a guy. Maybe he's poz and wants to spread it to other guys...who knows.