Truvada Resistant Strain - PrEP failure?

BarebackFan

A guy on Facebook has recently related his recently HIV+ diagnosis that occurred as he was taking Truvada. 

Per his post:

"My doctor told me (and I could hear the shock in his voice) that I had proper levels of Truvada in my blood, hower I had indeed contracted that rare, one in a million strain of HIV, you know, the one that we think, "oh that won't happen to me" strain.

Truvada failure is rare but not unknown or unreported. It's like wining the PowerBall or getting struck by lightning ... but it does happen.

Of course, my question would be, does this recently-pozzed guy also carry the Truvada-breaking strain of HIV?

• Like 3

3 hours ago, RBinWeHo said:

A guy on Facebook has recently related his recently HIV+ diagnosis that occurred as he was taking Truvada. 

Per his post:

"My doctor told me (and I could hear the shock in his voice) that I had proper levels of Truvada in my blood, hower I had indeed contracted that rare, one in a million strain of HIV, you know, the one that we think, "oh that won't happen to me" strain.

Truvada failure is rare but not unknown or unreported. It's like wining the PowerBall or getting struck by lightning ... but it does happen.

Of course, my question would be, does this recently-pozzed guy also carry the Truvada-breaking strain of HIV?

Have him stealth me and let's find out. I'm on Prep.

• Like 2

On 19/01/2018 at 1:29 AM, RBinWeHo said:

Yes he does as the strain that managed to infect him will replicate once in. He'd likely be given different meds but the danger (and the reason why his doc is worried) is that a truvada-resistant strain could also mutate to be resistant to other meds if he doesn't take the new meds properly.  If through his lifestyle he passes these strains on then that's when it starts to become a problem as you are now dealing with more people with resistant strains.

Edited by htsends
spelling
  • Like 1

On 1/18/2018 at 5:29 PM, RBinWeHo said:

"My doctor told me (and I could hear the shock in his voice) that I had proper levels of Truvada in my blood, ..."

A test for levels of truvada in blood is not available outside of clinical trials or very specific labs, so this story sounds fishy to me.

• Like 1

Guest GoneFishing
On 1/25/2018 at 12:05 AM, Davidc said:

Prep is still the best game in town

As I like to call prep training wheels to take raw loads.  Next step is to half ass doses to increase the thrill. ☣️

Guest descartes70817
10 hours ago, Detchiller said:

I heard the Cuban strain responds to meds, it’s just that it progresses to AIDS very quickly if left untreated.

Maybe that's what I caught. I tested negative in September 2013 but diagnosed with full blown AIDS with AIDS related pneumonia in February 2017. It responds to Triumeq in me.

6 hours ago, descartes70817 said:

Maybe that's what I caught. I tested negative in September 2013 but diagnosed with full blown AIDS with AIDS related pneumonia in February 2017. It responds to Triumeq in me.

Glad you got something that works for you. People romanticize the illness at times, but I think most of us appreciate life as long and as fully as possible.

• Upvote 4

Guest descartes70817
2 hours ago, Detchiller said:

Glad you got something that works for you. People romanticize the illness at times, but I think most of us appreciate life as long and as fully as possible.

Yeah, there's nothing romantic or fun about prostatiitis, or about enlarged lymph nodes, or about temperatures of 103F, or about catching pneumocystosis pneumonia and having to spend 8 days on intravenous antibiotics and undergoing test after test and scan after scan. The $38K in medical bills - and that's with insurance - hurt too. No telling what permanent damage I've done to my liver and other organs and nervous system, and to my heart and lungs. So far I've been able to carry on working but who knows how long for. 

Edited by descartes70817

On 19/01/2018 at 11:29 AM, RBinWeHo said:

Per his post:

Who posted? PM me link?

I MUST have his mutated strain growing in me! Imagine if even just 100 BreedingZone pigs had it - it could be impregnating thousands of neg boys on prep and spark it's epidemic of AIDS beauty

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2