Truvada Resistant Strain - PrEP failure?

BarebackFan

15 minutes ago, funkmeup said:

Who posted? PM me link?

I MUST have his mutated strain growing in me! Imagine if even just 100 BreedingZone pigs had it - it could be impregnating thousands of neg boys on prep and spark it's epidemic of AIDS beauty

MAN THIS WOULD BE GREAT 

• Like 1
  • Downvote 2

5 hours ago, descartes70817 said:

Yeah, there's nothing romantic or fun about prostatiitis, or about enlarged lymph nodes, or about temperatures of 103F, or about catching pneumocystosis pneumonia and having to spend 8 days on intravenous antibiotics and undergoing test after test and scan after scan. The $38K in medical bills - and that's with insurance - hurt too. No telling what permanent damage I've done to my liver and other organs and nervous system, and to my heart and lungs. So far I've been able to carry on working but who knows how long for. 

Sending you good vibes, bro.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

• Moderators

I saw the announcement in the Facebook Group PrEP Facts: Rethinking HIV Prevention and Sex which is run by Damon Jacobs, a well-known PrEP advocate. It is still Facebook as opposed to a curated website, but it's not just drivel.

Here is a more scholarly discussion of the case: https://blogs.jwatch.org/hiv-id-observations/index.php/case-report-prep-failure-can-learn/2017/02/05/

• Like 1

Guest descartes70817
8 hours ago, drscorpio said:

I saw the announcement in the Facebook Group PrEP Facts: Rethinking HIV Prevention and Sex which is run by Damon Jacobs, a well-known PrEP advocate. It is still Facebook as opposed to a curated website, but it's not just drivel.

Here is a more scholarly discussion of the case: https://blogs.jwatch.org/hiv-id-observations/index.php/case-report-prep-failure-can-learn/2017/02/05/

Thank you for the link drscorpio. Shame about the asshat in the comments section but a lot of good information and professional input. No matter what anyone says 98% effective is still always better than 0% effective for everyone concerned.

Guest descartes70817
19 hours ago, Detchiller said:

Sending you good vibes, bro.

It's all good. Slowed me down a bit for a while but it never stopped me.

• Moderators
5 hours ago, descartes70817 said:

Thank you for the link drscorpio. Shame about the asshat in the comments section but a lot of good information and professional input. No matter what anyone says 98% effective is still always better than 0% effective for everyone concerned.

You're welcome!

My perspective on this: at this point, I know far more people personally who got pozzed when a condom broke than have been pozzed by PrEP failure in the whole world. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 5

PrEP effectiveness is way above 98%. Four cases out of the many who use PrEP as compared to the conversion rate of those who do not use protection or even those who rely (solely) on condoms makes it the most effective form of prevention of HIV transmission, even when it is the only form of safe sex practiced. When used in combination with other forms of protection, I do not believe there has been a single case of transmission.

• 1 month later...
Guest alwaysready

I suspect that % will continue to fall, as guys realize they are poz. you can be poz a long time without knowing it. the resistant strains are the big issue, esp. with the spreading of the hiv cluster from the south all over the country.

2 hours ago, alwaysready said:

I suspect that % will continue to fall, as guys realize they are poz. you can be poz a long time without knowing it. the resistant strains are the big issue, esp. with the spreading of the hiv cluster from the south all over the country.

Although one can be poz for quite a while without knowing, persons who take PrEP do undergo regular tests to determine status.

1 hour ago, PissPigBrooklyn said:

Although one can be poz for quite a while without knowing, persons who take PrEP do undergo regular tests to determine status.

Yeah, I was about to say this. I would not know for three months max at which point I would have either gotten tested or found that I was unable to pick up my refill from my HMO until I got my HIV test done and my results back.

The whole failure thing is being way overplayed by everyone. Virtually no prevention is 100%. But PreP comes about as damn close as you're going to get.

Sorry, I probably just ruined someone's fetish. It's kind of an antiquated fetish though... There's reliable prevention and no apocalypse on the way. Think of PrEP efficacy more as a one in several thousand chance of infection each time a negative person on PrEP fucks a positive guy. And no, that's not you're going to get it after a few thousand fucks (probably and stats just doesn't work that way here), but rather that with each fuck you have several thousand to one chance that you're going to stay negative.

Like, you're more likely to get into a fatal car accident than you are to get HIV while properly taking PreP. Hit by lightning even, depending on where you live. Hardly anything to put on the brakes on fucking or taking PreP for. Really, the only scenario where it's worth putting on the breaks is if you're about to get in the aforementioned car wreck.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/18/2018 at 8:29 PM, RBinWeHo said:

A guy on Facebook has recently related his recently HIV+ diagnosis that occurred as he was taking Truvada. 

Per his post:

"My doctor told me (and I could hear the shock in his voice) that I had proper levels of Truvada in my blood, hower I had indeed contracted that rare, one in a million strain of HIV, you know, the one that we think, "oh that won't happen to me" strain.

Truvada failure is rare but not unknown or unreported. It's like wining the PowerBall or getting struck by lightning ... but it does happen.

Of course, my question would be, does this recently-pozzed guy also carry the Truvada-breaking strain of HIV?

After the debacle of “real news” posted by the Russians on Facebook during the 2016 elections, why would you consider as real anything posted as “fact” on it? 

If you are interested look for a scientific/medical reasonable source and educate yourself on the Truvada-resistant strain. But Facebook?? 

• Upvote 1

• Moderators
10 hours ago, BreedingTop71 said:

After the debacle of “real news” posted by the Russians on Facebook during the 2016 elections, why would you consider as real anything posted as “fact” on it? 

If you are interested look for a scientific/medical reasonable source and educate yourself on the Truvada-resistant strain. But Facebook?? 

There is a very well curated group on Facebook, PrEP Facts: Rethinking HIV Prevention and Sex. If he was talking about reading something on that group, it's a good source. Otherwise, I agree with you. 

Guest Memphian
On 1/31/2018 at 6:35 PM, rawfuckr said:

A test for levels of truvada in blood is not available outside of clinical trials or very specific labs, so this story sounds fishy to me.

I wondered about that.  I guess I could see the manufacturer having the technology and the incentive to test it if they got a sample in this case.