New HIV drug wins FDA approval

Trogarzo is the first drug in a new class of antiretroviral medications that can provide significant benefit to patients who have run out of HIV treatment options,

Trogarzo will be administered in the form of a shot once every 14 days by a trained medical professional. It can also be used in combination with other antiretroviral medications without losing its effectiveness.

Not sure if this is where I’m supposed to post this but thought I should share 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Well here comes the price gouge effect that without some quality insurance and/or financial assistance this drug will be out of the range for some people.  

Oh lets not all going dancing in the street either; I just read this, "...43 percent of the trial’s participants achieved HIV RNA suppression."   So there is only a 43% chance of this new drug working in clinical trial patients...well in my mind that is fantastic news less your one of those fortunate few this new drug works on, the rest have a grim future still waiting for them.

Edited by ConversionPiglet
  • Upvote 1

If you want to be so negative about it that's fine, but this drug is for people who have run out of treatment options & still have high viral loads despite being on HAART and even a 43% percent chance of achieving undetectable levels is a good thing. Moreover, any decrease in viral load has been shown to increase projected longevity, so even if you're in the 57% who don't become undetectable from this treatment it's still beneficial. 

• Upvote 3