Health Insurance - USA

4Bare

Health Insurance in the USA sucks.  Make sure that your health provider is a provider,  If you have an operation make sure everyone there is a provider, your responsibility according to our USA insurance .companies.  And our prescription drug costs for PrEP, cancer drugs, and HIV drugs are the highest than in Canada and the EU.

For anyone who is gay like me you should be concerned about this topic in the USA.  I was on PrEP stopped it because it was costing over $600.00/month with insurance.

Edited by 4BareCocks

1 hour ago, 4BareCocks said:

For anyone who is gay like me you should be concerned about this topic in the USA.  I was on PrEP stopped it because it was costing over $600.00/month with insurance.

Damn!!! That's disconcerting on so many levels :'( What can we do to try and fix this I wonder? I'm gay and it really bothers me to hear this. Been so out of the loop that I knew nothing about what's going on lately :(

Guest ignignokt
14 hours ago, 4BareCocks said:

That is insanely high! 

Are there any alternative plans available by chance, through your work or in your area? In ATL, there's a prep program for people who are uninsured. It might include underinsured too. 

Gilead also has a co-pay assistance card you can get for free. I'm not sure of the maximums though

Well, I agree that healthcare in US is really fucked up. Besides starter use health benefit from PrEP, which I do not question here, I've seen a note to suggest that if you take it continuously, then later decide to stop and subsequently do become infected (no time frame reference) - I am not a medical professional - a return to it as possible infection treatment won't be as effective as for someone without prior built-up tolerance. Same as with continuous use of antibiotics for something else. Meaning you'd have to add more content to the med cocktail (and pay more), and have additional side effects to deal with to get similar outcome.

That is on top of clear economic gain for the producer in the mean time (selling tons of pills to people who do not require them but choose to use them). Remember, PrEP is a choice, not a requirement. Unfortunately, the only option to that effect at this time. And as a market circumstance has it, the higher the demand, the higher the price - hype, hype, hype, and the less and less coverage there would be offered from the insurance company to cover your costs - they'd be bleeding money otherwise, and there is enough punters anyway to proliferate discounted access. That is by a willing and limitless demographic base to enable cashflow to an unlimited amount into the coffers of the producer. Just milk'em like cows. Those insurance prescription riders are reviewed and revised every year - whatever cost you have now, you can't plan on it long-term. And whoever really needs that treatment, would have to pay up their last dime if they don't want to deteriorate - again, I am not advocating either side there either. This is what is the most appalling to me. There will be never a cure of the virus - there is no economic interest in curing it, just celebrated prostitution of humanity to the highest willing bidder.

Too much?

• Like 1

On 3/24/2018 at 11:44 PM, 4BareCocks said:

Health Insurance in the USA sucks.  Make sure that your health provider is a provider,  If you have an operation make sure everyone there is a provider, your responsibility according to our USA insurance .companies.  And our prescription drug costs for PrEP, cancer drugs, and HIV drugs are the highest than in Canada and the EU.

bruh..., I cannot even state how infuriated I am with the cost of my meds, and my insurance is messed up too.

• Upvote 1