Changes To The Server

rawTOP

• Administrators
On 4/25/2018 at 10:34 PM, SubFFboy said:

Any chance you can enable IPv6? I have a dual-stack connection that preferences AAAA records so that would make things better again Also, it's the future, man. :P

IPv6's main advantage is more addresses. But I have the IP addresses I need, and IPv6 maps to IPv4 addresses, so it's not like people can't access my site because I'm on IPv4. IPv6 has some theoretical advantages, but I can't see them making a significant difference in my site performance. So I don't see the need to support it.

I am only posting because I am having most breedingzone.com pages take a LONG time to load.   And it has become the rule not the exception. Sometimes pages will pop up at normal speed and I think it is fine, then it goes back to taking 4-5 seconds loading loading loading loading before another page comes up. It is very frustrating, and taking longer than pages full of animated ads, which seem to be the most difficult for my location and device.

I am in Virginia outside DC , on an iPad pro running the almost very latest software (apple puts out updates ridicuouly often nowadays). I am using Fios 75 up/75 down, which is usually plenty fast .

Puffin browser.

Edited by bbfarm
add browser info

1. UK (London)

2. x64 based pc laptop

3. firefox 59.0.2

Accessing the site is now about 4-5 times slower. I have also noticed since the change my likes are not listed on the leaderboard. Today 30/4/18 I should be listed amonst the top 3-5 for most liked items for the week starting 23/4/18, but my 19 likes are not listed at all in the section below the top 4 leaders. This would have happened before the update.

• Administrators
30 minutes ago, DaddyBare said:

1. UK (London)

2. x64 based pc laptop

3. firefox 59.0.2

Accessing the site is now about 4-5 times slower. I have also noticed since the change my likes are not listed on the leaderboard. Today 30/4/18 I should be listed amonst the top 3-5 for most liked items for the week starting 23/4/18, but my 19 likes are not listed at all in the section below the top 4 leaders. This would have happened before the update.

To be clear… Two changes were made last week – an upgrade to the server OS to enable HTTP/2, and an upgrade of the software that runs the site. The leaderboard issues and the email issues are forum software issues that are a bit out of my control. Presumably there will be a "dot version" upgrade that will iron those problems out.

What I'm most interested in, in this thread are the general performance issues – how quickly pages load. I've looked closely at Google Analytics and I'm seeing a 3.7s slowdown overall in home page load times (125% slower), and just loading the HTML for the home page is 62% slower. I've made my host aware of the problem. We'll see if they can fix it. And when they fix it, how much better it gets.

So page load times is what I'm working on – site functionality problems I'll look into later.

9 hours ago, CigarBear68 said:

All email notifications have stopped the last 5 or so days. My account settings are the same, but no emails notifying me of messages have arrived. 

Same here. Zero email notifications. I have logged in/out, reset the "following" button on topics I was following, checked/updated my settings for email notifications but nothing works restarting the email notifications. They stopped last Friday/Saturday.

Speed is good though (in The Netherlands). I don't really see a difference with before the server change. I'm on Windows 10 using Chrome on a laptop. Mail is Outlook (no problems receiving mail from other sites). 

• Upvote 1

• Administrators

Emails should now be working. I doubt the missing ones will be resent, but going forward you should be getting the emails you're expecting…

• Upvote 2

• Administrators

This morning I also found a major reason why pages were loading slowly. I'm giving it 24-48 hours to see if it speeds things up for you guys. Fingers crossed!

• Upvote 2

Did anything change to how the filter works for Activity Streams? I have one that should show me the few threads I follow and show me the UNREAD items in that thread. It no longer works, and I have recreated it.

I attached a pic of the filter I use.

2018-05-04 20_27_13-Unread Topics since last visit - Breeding Zone.png

• 3 weeks later...

Oh...you're in ATL. ITP/Midtown (I'm just...curious)? I'm posting from Tucker, and the profile photo uploader on the left isn't working. I'm also confused how to navigate my personal gallery. I don't mind if you have a common gallery, if that's the case.

• 2 months later...
Guest takingdeepanal
On 5/5/2018 at 11:29 AM, Topdk4urazz said:

Did anything change to how the filter works for Activity Streams? I have one that should show me the few threads I follow and show me the UNREAD items in that thread. It no longer works, and I have recreated it.

I attached a pic of the filter I use.

2018-05-04 20_27_13-Unread Topics since last visit - Breeding Zone.png

Maybe you have to re-add them.

• rawTOP unpinned and unfeatured this topic
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy, and Guidelines. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.