Joining the Poz Party

THIS IS A WORK OF FICTION

I'll skip the beginning, my personal history stuff and just get right to the part where I moved to Sun Crest Apartments during the Summer I turned 22. I had a semi-okay job and could finally afford to move out of my grandmother's house. I'm pretty sure I'd been to a party in this complex at some point and remember the units were clean and solidly built. It was one of those places that are built on The Holiday Inn blueprint. You know -- two stories of apartments with a long deck on the upper floor and wooden stairs separating the levels. The people on the bottom floor had little enclosed patios. I had my key and a car full of stuff. Grandma had bought me some furniture that wasn't due to be delivered for a few days. No big deal, I had a sleeping bag, a TV. my stereo and a microwave. I'd could "rough it" for a while. I was instantly aware of how cool all the cars were compared to mine. The second thing I noticed were the half-dozen or so men just leaning against the wood railing and watching me. They seemed friendly and I guess these were my neighbors. "Howdy!"

Smiles all around. "Hey there! Are you moving into 208?"

"Yep. I'm Josh." It was kind of odd to be introducing myself from down here. I never liked being watched or sized up. Invisibility was comfortable and would be my first choice for a super power. I started to unload my TV since that was the heaviest and everything else wouldn't be too hard to carry up stairs. Two of the watchers lumbered down to help me. 

"Nice TV. I'm Freddy by the way." He was probably in his late 20's/early 30's and looked like a big teddy bear in jean shorts and a baseball cap. He radiated friendly vibes. "I got this. I lug much heavier stuff for a living." He hoisted it chest level like it was nothing. The other guy was tall, skinny and distinctly Latin. "That's Ernie. He don't talk much. Grab the stereo stuff, Ernie."

I grabbed a laundry basket full of clean clothes and quickly got upstairs so I could unlock the door. It was strangely unlocked already...either that or I did the key thing incorrectly. My car was unloaded in minutes. 

"Is this all you have? You're not making a second trip?" Freddy seemed amazed that I owned so little. 

"This is it for now. I've got some new furniture coming in a few days. I'm fine."

"Yeah. You got that right. Well, we'll leave you to feather your nest or whatever. When you're done, come join us out on the porch." Ernie was studying my meager possessions and seemed to want to linger. Freddy left  and Ernie quickly took my hand as if to shake it but just held it for a second. 

"Ernesto. Hello." He quickly exited and closed the door gently. I got the feeling he didn't speak much English. 

Well I plugged in the TV and stereo, laid out my sleeping bag on the newly carpeted floor and was pretty much done. I wasn't all that eager to go meet my neighbors because I wasn't entirely ready to be social right now. Poor Grandma. She asked me to call her when I got moved in but I'd completely forgotten to buy a phone. I'd never had to do that before. Phones were always just there. You know? I was not getting this whole 'being independent' thing off to a good start. Oh well.

"There he is! That didn't take long." Freddy was the ambassador of the crew. "Have a beer. We're just here for the scenery. Tomorrow night there will be fireworks, but the amateurs shows already started a week a go." Oh yeah. It was July 3rd. "You should have been here on New Year's Eve last year...2000 and all."

"Yeah. It was kinda cold I bet." Freddy handed me a can of Coors Light. Ewww...but I said 'thanks' anyway. 

"We kept warm." A few of the guys chuckled, and all I could offer was a smile. Another neighbor moved up to shake my hand.

"I'm Edward. We usually make the new guy bring the beer, but we didn't even know the unit had been rented until this morning. That landlady is supposed to clear new people with us first, but you've passed the test...so far." Edward was a mixed-race guy with a body like Freddy's. "Are you even old enough to buy alcohol?"

"Oh yeah. For over a year now." I noticed that most of the doors on this level had deck chairs in front. I guess I needed to buy one. Maybe that was one of the 'tests'. ? 

Another man who seemed closer to my age asked "You're gay, right?" Fucking hell! I'd only recently begun to admit that to myself but I guess it was apparent to this crowd. This gay crowd. Gays. I went from knowing none to knowing a whole community of them.

"Yes. I am." Quick murmurs among the guys.

"Shit, Jack...let the kid finish a beer first before you start in with all that." I'd stick close to Freddy for now because he seemed like the only grownup here. The Dad. "You don't have to answer any question you don't want to." Grandma was probably making pot roast right now and watching the news. It would be safer there with her. Her front porch had a swing and potted plants while mine had a bunch of gay guys who seemed a little pushy. I drained my beer and asked for another. I needed a buzz in the worst way. 

"Ooh! Rush Hour is over. Who's first tonight?" Some guy I couldn't see seemed to be waiting for some kind of game to start. Freddy put a thick arm around my shoulders and led me toward the stairs. "Hold on, Jeff. I'm going to show our new neighbor around first." I knew my way around this place already because the landlady showed me everything before I signed the lease. The laundry room, the pool, my assigned parking spot, etc. 

"So you guys are waiting for a game to start? Like 'Simon Says'?" Freddy laughed. 

"Not exactly. Let me ask you something...why did you move to this particular place?"

"It's close to work and not far from my grandmother who is pretty much the only family I have. And plus I could afford the rent."

"So you haven't heard any stories about us? We're known in some circles."

"Known for what?" I'd moved into some sort of adventure without knowing it.

"You smoke? Want a cigarette? It's a complicated story." I'd never smoked in my life, but it seemed like a good idea at this moment. 

"You're sounding nervous, Freddy."

"It's like this. All of us on the second floor are gay. It just sort of happened. We hung out at the pool and on the porch, and some of us hooked up a few times. It was all very friendly and casual. It didn't take long before we realized we all had things in common....we all had bad relationship experiences and we were all HIV positive. Some recent, some not-so-recent. Still with me, Josh?"

"Yeah." Fucking hell. I wasn't expecting to hear anything like this.

"Well...we started a contest/game or whatever you want to call it. We, uh, began to entice delivery boys, joggers or just random strolling guys up to join our party. The goal was to fuck them raw and convert them. We called the game different things: 'Poz the Pizza Boy', 'AIDS Outreach', 'Virus Victim Roulette'.  Now we don't call it anything. It's just what we do for fun. Tell me what you're thinking?"

Uh. "I think that's kind of awful, Freddy." I wanted to be watching a bad Lifetime movie with Gran right now, with the door locked.

He took my hand in his hairy paw. "It is, isn't it? I know. I'm being honest with you. You don't have to do anything you don't want to...nobody will rape you or anything. I'll make sure of that."

I was in way over my head. "So this game starts after rush hour?" 

"Usually. It's a holiday weekend now, so it's 'round the clock. The guy who's gone the longest without sex gets first turn. After that, we wait to see who the potential victim fancies most. We're not sure if Ernie has ever pozzed anyone because he really doesn't know much English. He's got a lesion above his right eyebrow."

"Ernesto."

"Yeah. I think he likes you. Speak Spanish at all?"

"I know a little. I took it in high school but cheated on all the tests because my friend Becky was an assistant in the office and could get me all the answers beforehand." Becky. I wondered where she was now.

"I don't know his whole story...I haven't even seen his dick yet."

"Do you drug these guys first?"

"NO. That's against the rules. Actually, I have no idea what the others do behind closed doors. I've never done that. There's kind of an unspoken rule that says we're not allowed to stealth either."

"Stealth?"

"God, you're so green. That's when you make the bottom guy think you have a condom on, but you either take it off mid-fuck or you tear it." That was heinous. Ugh. "Some guys do that pretty regularly."

"Do you?"

"I won't say I've never done it, but..."

"WHY? I mean - did you ever stop to think that the reason you've never had a successful relationship is because you do stuff like that? What if you met Mr. Right one day?"

"I gave up on that years ago. Look at me." I couldn't look at him right now.

"I've already seen you, Fred."

"Then you know what an ugly guy I am. I'm past 30, overweight, drink too much -- and I have the ugliest feet in the world. They're size 12 and completely flat. You should see the footprints I leave at the side of the pool...no arch at all."

"Nobody looks at feet, Freddy...and the rest of you is fine as it is. Maybe you'd have a life partner by now if you weren't playing games."

"That's a sweet thought, buddy. It's too late for romance now. But you're young and healthy and nice -- you could actually have a boyfriend. Look, I'll talk to Lydia and she'll let you out of the lease. This might not be the right place for you."

"I'll be fine. Sorry if I upset you."

"You didn't. So you really think I'm fine as I am? Physically?"

"Oh hell yes. I'm not crazy about where your head is at right now, but otherwise, I think you're a catch." I had to be careful not to let him think I was somehow flirting now. I'd known people who took compliments as invitations.

"Wow. We've walked a long way. There's empty apartments in this area...want to go in one...just for a few minutes?" 

"How? You have a key?"

"No, but I know how to open locks around here. Come on." No. No. No. He was rubbing his crotch and I think he thought I wanted him.

"Not right now. I need a beer."

"Yeah, OK. But can I kiss you first?" Jesus, really? 

"Absolutely." And then he gave me a stubbly, coarse kiss on the mouth. It was my first kiss. I agreed to it so as to not get him mad. Maybe I'd go sleep at Grandma's house tonight. 

Let's go. It's getting dark and I need a beer too." We made it back up to the deck and everybody was still there, smoking cigarettes and drinking beer. That guy I recall was named 'Jeff' spoke up first.

"Enjoy giving him the 'tour', Freddy?" General whispers from the group.

"Nah. He turned me down. Just leave him be for now." Fuck this guy. Ernie was instantly by my side with a fresh beer.

"Gracias."

He smiled shyly and I looked above his eye to see if I could see the lesion Freddy told me about. I couldn't tell in the dying light. 

"I ordered a few pizzas. Mario's has a whole bunch of new delivery boys. I expect you all to chip in." It was Edward talking. 

"We'll get a look at him first," Freddy answered "Sometime's Mario hires boys who are legal to drive but not to fuck."

"Well, Ben wanted Chinese because of his thing for Asians, but they sometimes send girls."

"Any joggers come by?" Freddy seemed to have completely forgotten about me.

"That cute Italian guy ran by but he had headphones on and couldn't hear us call out." 

It was night and various fireworks shot into the moonless sky. Nothing too impressive. The pizzas were delivered by some kid who wasn't the least bit interested in hanging out.  Ernie was still next to me. He had cologne on and it smelled very nice combined with his sweat. Sexy. God, I wish I could remember a few Spanish phrases. Freddy was chatting with various guys in the group -- no doubt telling him what a wet blanket I was. Whatever. I'd drink a few more beers and then go to bed...with the door locked and the chain secured. Ernesto was only too happy to fetch me free beers. I could feel a major buzz coming on. He smelled so good. It would really piss Freddy off if I flirted with this handsome guy.

"Como estas esta noche?" I had no idea if I said that right.

He flashed a dazzling white smile. "Fine and well." He moved closer and I could feel all eyes on us. 

Some drunk frat guy stumbled by and Edward called out to him. "Are you lost?"

"Do you know where Brice lives?" He was wobbling and confused.

"Yeah. I'll show you." Edward was down the stairs in a flash. "Come this way." They went off into the darkness. And so it had begun. I just didn't get it. Ed was good-looking enough to snag a normal boyfriend...all of them were. I drained my beer and gave Ernie a good-night hug. 

"Disfrutar." I think I said 'enjoy', but probably mangled it.

"No. Not me. Have the good night now."

I turned on the AC on 'high' to drown out the sounds of the party and slept with the TV on. Maybe I should break the lease.

I totally missed the 2001 Independence Day because I didn't want to join that group. I liked Ernesto, but he had AIDS...or the start of it. I'd gone to Target early in the morning to buy a telephone. I called Grandma as soon as everything was connected. 

"Sorry I didn't call sooner, Gran. I forgot to bring my phone from the bedroom."

"Thank goodness you called now! I was so worried about you for some reason. I hardly slept a wink. The firecrackers didn't help. I'm turning off my hearing aid tonight and hoping to God one of those bottle rockets doesn't land on my roof and set the whole place on fire. How do you like the new place?"

"I don't. I made a mistake moving here."

"Well come home then. I'll pay whatever you need to get out of there." Just then somebody knocked on my door and then tried to turn the knob. Freddy.

"I think I need to leave soon." I let the sob in my throat be audible.

"Tonight? Your room is all ready and I put a new air freshener in there."

"Not tonight. It'll be crazy out there with all the fireworks and parades and stuff."

"Whatever you think is best. The key is still under the cement turtle. It'll be so good to have you back, Josh!"

"Thanks, Gran. Don't forget to take your pills in an hour."

And it was settled. I'd forget this whole experience and pretend people like this didn't exist. Except...except Ernie. I'd miss him a little, I guess. My lunch and dinner consisted of the awesome cookies Grandma had sent with me. I watched a million dumb movies on TV and flinched every time somebody knocked on my door or tried the knob. I was pretty sure I'd made it clear to Freddy that I wanted no part of this crap. My mistake was saying anything nice to him and kissing him. I'd take it all back if I could. To add to my unease were the random booms and pops of pyrotechnics in the sky. What a wretched holiday. I drifted off to sleep despite the noise. Sometime around 4 in the morning there was another knock. For fuck sake, didn't he ever give up? The knock was softer and the doorknob didn't jostle. "Josh. Sleeping?" It was Ernie. Maybe Freddy had put him up to this and was waiting to pounce as soon as I unchained the lock.

Fuck it. I had access to 911 now. I opened the door and there was Ernesto wearing nothing but a pair of red boxers. 

"Sorry for wake. Can I see you this a few seconds?

"Entrar."

"Thank. Is scared?"

"Que?"

He scanned his brain for words. "Is scared come out?" 

He seemed to want to know why I didn't join the crowd last night. My Spanish was exhausted and I was still woozy from sleep. 

"No. Just tired. I don't know much Spanish. I'm sorry."

"No. Fine. I was am worried for you." 

"Thanks. You're a nice guy...and you look great in underwear." He really did. The only light in the room was from the mute TV screen. I openly stared at his nearly nude body. He liked that. "How was tonight's party?" He shrugged and then looked down at my sleeping bag.

"Camping?"

"Sort of. I was just using it as a mattress tonight because it's too warm to get inside. I've had this thing since I was nine years old." I had no idea if he understood any of what I was saying. He walked over to my AC unit and switched it 'maximum cool'. ?? 

"Time for camp." The pieces of the puzzle were starting to come together. He wanted to get in the sleeping bed with me, He also had a very visible boner beneath his boxers. I moved closer and touched it ever-so-gently. "Nice." He wrapped his arms around me. "You suck?"

Well, I'd gotten my first kiss out of the way...time to give my first blow job. I knelt down at his feet and pulled the boxer shorts down. Ernie's dick shot straight up, almost reaching his navel. Thick black pubic hair framed the meat beautifully. I kissed it before I could have any second thoughts. "So nice!" he said over the roar of the air conditioner. "More."

I couldn't speak much Spanish but it turns out that a was a natural-born cocksucker. I gagged a little but was savoring the feeling of a throbbing, hot penis in my mouth. The flavors and the smells must have short-circuited my brain because I had concerns about his status or his lesions or anything like that. Nothing mattered except for his cock. The room was getting cold and we both had goosebumps. 

"Inside for camping, Josh. OK?" I unzipped the bag and gestured for him to get in with me. He was a little tall for it, but we fit together nicely. I was completely horny yet still appreciative of the coziness. "Fuck?"

"Yes. I'd like that, Ernie."

"Good." He got on top of me and I felt his leaking cock head move down my stomach and between my legs. I knew what pre-cum was but hardly ever produced it myself. Ernesto seemed to make a lot of it. Dude was oozing. "Is ready?"

I was. I think. I'd never once thought my virginity would be taken by a poz man inside of a sleeping bag. Maybe I'd seen too many soap operas and romantic movies with Grandma, but I thought everything would be softly-lit and traditional. Whatever...this seemed exactly right to me now. It burned like a motherfucker when his dick first snaked its way into my ass. I didn't yell out, just breathed in and looked up at him. I finally saw the lesion above his eyebrow in the flickering TV light. I reached up and touched it softly with my fingertip. It was slightly raised and I swear I felt a snap of electricity from it. I had just read a book about a guy who could magically heal people just by touching them. He'd take in their pain or illness inside of him and then disperse it. I wanted that kind of power now. I don't know what my facial expression was saying, but Ernie looked at me like his heart was breaking. I didn't want him to stop now that my hole was getting used to his dick's invasion. I reached down and held his tiny butt, pulling him in deeper. That was all the encouragement he needed. 

He bucked and thrust like a pro. I winced occasionally as the pain bit a few times. The feelings of pleasure were beginning to take me to new places. It was a sensation of being filled and being mastered by this man. Despite the coldness of the room, Ernie's face was sweating and a drop of it hung to one of his eyelashes. I'll never forget that tiny detail. His eyes were closed but mine were wide open and that famous purple sore on his forehead was my focus, its glowing beauty. He grunted and let loose a few volleys of poison semen inside of me. No going back from here. He lied his damp body down on top of mine, exhausted. I remember a 'safe sex' commercial on TV that ended with "Sex...It's not worth dying for." But it was! Oh man, was it ever. 

We slept off and on for the next few hours as the sun came up. He finally pulled away and said "I better get back before any of them see me come out of your apartment."

"What? How...?"

He smiled shyly. "How did I suddenly learn to speak English so well?"

"Well, yeah. What's the deal?"

"I don't know exactly why I started to pretend I couldn't. Shyness, maybe. It was easier to pretend I didn't understand the language when I first moved in. I didn't have to make small talk and I could listen in on everything going on like I wasn't there." I guess I understood that.

"But..." I had so many questions, but nothing was forming. 

"I hope you decide to stay here with us. Freddy is all worried that you want to get out of your lease because of him or because you're scared of AIDS. I knew that you were just a little freaked out is all. "

"Freddy is a predator."

"Not really. He's just insecure and tries to overcompensate. We all have something in our bloodstream that makes us feel inferior to regular people. Maybe this whole poz party thing is a way to take ownership of the diagnosis. I'm not a psychiatrist, but that's my theory."

"Makes sense. I guess I really do belong to the group now."

He shrugged. "Maybe, but it's not certain. It can take a few times." He hugged me and left in the early morning light. I switched off the air conditioner and smelled the air. So much gunpowder was in the atmosphere that the world smelled like it was burning. It started to rain while I was in the shower. It always seems to storm on July 5th. Maybe the clouds were pissed off at having been shot so many times. Cloud seeding.

Much to Grandma's dismay, I didn't move out. I joined the party. Freddy and I made peace and even fucked up a few times. I eventually hooked up with every single one of my neighbors,but never once made it with an unsuspecting delivery guy. Not my thing. Ernie and I talked a lot in private, but never in front of the group. This was my community now and that's why I still live in #208.

END

• Like 4
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Toon said:

He bucked and thrust like a pro.

I need an Ernie like this .... great story!    Loved all the small details and character development.    Thanks for sharing this story with us!

• Upvote 1