Does being fat make it harder?

With dealing with HIV as a virus no but it's all the secondary shit such as diabetes and heart disease comes in to play. I've been on HIV medication for over six years my weight fluctuates a lot especially since I'm an emotional eater and been taking Janumet to regulate the blood sugar for over a year 

• Like 1

On 5/15/2018 at 3:53 PM, analluv27 said:

With dealing with HIV as a virus no but it's all the secondary shit such as diabetes and heart disease comes in to play. I've been on HIV medication for over six years my weight fluctuates a lot especially since I'm an emotional eater and been taking Janumet to regulate the blood sugar for over a year 

Got it. So essentially being thinner is better but it doesn’t affect how the big is deal with medication. Thank you for your response. 

The true take away is to be healthy as possible keep track of your cholesterol and sugar levels if memory serves me correctly a lot of HIV medications can inadvertently spike both cholesterol and sugar. Watch one's diet with some exercise and Bob's your uncle

• Like 1

Both of the answers you got were great,  and they are right on point.  Any type of health problem adds and extra wrinkle to HIV treatment.  And because the meds are so strong on organs (for some people), it's better to be putting less other medication in your body.  As you know, being overweight usually comes with a myriad of other issues down the road --- often the very same issues meds exacerbate, cholesterol , sugar, kidney problems.  So the short answer is yes,  it is better to take off the weight for anyone,  it is twice as important for an hiv positive person.  I recently read that a person who seroconverts at 35 can expect to live to be 78 if he is a non smoker.  A smoker with hiv who seroconverts at 35 can expect to live to be 63.   Obesity shortens the lifespan often as much if not more than smoking.  

• Upvote 1