Class action suit, anyone hear of this?

So the today I was watching TV and a commercial about a class action suit against the makers of Atripla & Truvada and others is being filed. Because they find serious long term side effects and they claim the manufacture knew and withheld replacements. So my question is; anyone else hear of this? Also anyone participate in the suit? And does this concern anyone else?? 

Now they are saying it leads to bone density problems where you fracture easily. I did read of a study where researchers found the levels of the combined drugs where not needed to be as effective to maintain  undetectable viral levels. They also found the drugs were more caustic to liver & kidney tissues as well as bones than previously disclosed. This was reported in POZ magazine in 2016. But the study was closed due to funding issues. Personally I’m concerned enough to have a appointment with my Dr. 

I started Truvada/Prep in 2014.  Long term bone density loss was very clearly stated as one of the long term side effects at that time.  It gave me second thoughts about taking it voluntarily, but since I had been barebacking about 10 years at that point and started letting/wanting more guys breed me, I figured the alternative was to end up poz and on more than one drug anyway, so I accepted the potential side effects and started popping the daily pill.  When a new clinical trial started for Descovy a little over a year ago I quickly jumped at the opportunity to join it since the bone density issue was one of the main benefits, and I also got off on the slightly increased risk of not knowing which drug I was on - Truvada or the untested drug.  I didn't feel like they were keeping it any secret that ALL these drugs have some serious potential side effects.....they are pretty powerful drugs.   

Having said that, I also don't put it past the pharmaceutical companies to keep coming up with new and improved drugs just to keep the formula changing in time for the patent to be up/when it goes generic.  The Descovy study has 2 more years left.  I'm sure the intention is to make that the drug of choice for Prep.  The formula is changed a little from Truvada to lessen the long term effects.  If people were converting at a higher rate than on Truvada (the placebo) they were supposedly going to end the study.  Since it's now been over a year, I am assuming it is just as effective, and they are now looking more at the side effects over the effectiveness against HIV.  That's just my guess.  

I wrote more than I planned on that, but my point is that I thought it was very clearly stated as a long term side effect in 2014.  Over time, they keep coming up with new/better drugs, but if the alternative is going back to the 80s, friends dying and FEAR of sex, I'll take the side effects and all this hot sleazy sex I'm having :)  I may have a different perspective due to the fact I'm taking it voluntarily I realize.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

Nothing new here. Side effects have always been well-documented and well-communicated.  My main beef is that it takes forever -- if ever -- for any of these "specialty" drugs to ever have generic equivalents. THAT is where the legal action should be. 

9 hours ago, ButchGuy78 said:

Now they are saying it leads to bone density problems where you fracture easily. I did read of a study where researchers found the levels of the combined drugs where not needed to be as effective to maintain  undetectable viral levels. They also found the drugs were more caustic to liver & kidney tissues as well as bones than previously disclosed. This was reported in POZ magazine in 2016. But the study was closed due to funding issues. Personally I’m concerned enough to have a appointment with my Dr. 

If you do go talk with your doc, I'd be interested to hear what he/she has to say and whether it helped with your concern. 

I've been on prep for about 4 years now and haven't had any bad side effects (other than maybe some nausea for the first couple weeks I was on it).  But, I'm also young enough that if there are long term side effects that have been documented for sure, I'd like to know about them.

• Upvote 1

Guest FriendlyBottom

I think this link will give you the basics about one (or both) of the lawsuits filed by AHF against Gilead Sciences:

https://www.fiercepharma.com/pharma/gilead-shelved-safer-hiv-drugs-for-years-to-protect-its-monopoly-patients-say

(In a nutshell, Gilead has two formulations of tenofovir (one of the two drugs that make up Truvada).  The one that they marketed first (TDF) supposedly carries a higher risk of side-effects.  The one they held in reserve until the TDF patents expired is TAF which they've recently released as part of Descovy.  One or both of the lawsuits asserts that the "new and improved TAF" could have been and should have been released sooner to prevent some individuals from experiencing serious side-effects from TDF.)

I’ve been on Atripla for 8 years. I personally have noticed some changes in myself with joint pain as well as bone issue. A simple break that took longer to heal only to be rebroken. While I’ve had good results on Atripla. The underlying side effects are just too large for me to ignore. I’ve had friends that were on Atripla had similar issues, switched and are glad they did.  I do believe that each drug and prescription work and act differently for different individuals. So I made a appointment with my Dr, we sat down and analyzed each component and the amount and he looked at results of other patients. He felt it would be a safe transition to Genvoya. But it will be monitored with lab work to ensure no issues arise. As far as the class action suit he said he had heard of new studies challenging the old drugs effectiveness and volatility. But he was quick to say he cannot say for sure because he is not a memeber of the study. So fingers crossed that switching is a smooth transition. 

• Upvote 1

Same stupid ass bullshit lawsuit for practically every damn drug out there. Wouldn't be surprised if the same ugly blond bitch is the spokesman in the commercial.

Hell, they sue for talcum powder, hernia repairs, and common GERD medications.

Every medication has its risks vs. benefits, and if people would take a few minutes to read the risks, they would know if they wanted to take the medication, or ask their doctor for something different, if available.

But today, we live in a sue happy society where people rarely takes responsibility for their own lives.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1