how i can i get prep?

mike18fan

I enjoy hooking up with guys every now and then and usually I meet them going to the CrewClub here in DC for anon sex about once a month. I'm the guy who lays on the bed face down naked with the door open.  In the last few months I've noticed that fewer tops are willing to fuck me. I get lots of guys that come into the room, rub my butt some, finger my hole a little, and then take off. Only about 1 in 10 will close the door and take off their towel and stay awhile.   I think it's because I have condoms laying out. There are so many bottoms now on PrEP and willing to do it bare with them that they just move on to them.  And I can't blame them for that decision.  So, I desperately want to start doing it bare with them also - but I also want to stay neg. I'm having trouble figuring out a way to afford PrEP.  My insurance won't cover it (yet they will cover HIV medication if I was to become poz).  Anyway, is there a less expensive way (getting in from overseas etc) that others are able to use to get this stuff? Would a generic be good enough? I'm starting to think that if I can't get it, I'll just have to trust guys who tells me they recently tested neg and offer to let them cum inside my butt bare. Or else, stop trying to hookup because i won't be able to compete with so many bareback bottoms available. Any advice? 

Guest descartes70817

Can't speak for DC or any other city, but here in my home town there's a clinic who will prescribe it if your primary care doctor won't. This clinic won't judge you and only charges what you can afford to pay. Since I'm poz undetectable my meds are covered by the Ryan White program so my copay is zero, but I can't say for sure that PrEP is. Must be worth asking though.

Edited by descartes70817

My insurer is Tricare Prime (I'm active duty military and they will not cover the cost of pre-exposure drugs).  However, I could possibly afford generic (depending on how much it costs - prices seem to vary a lot online).  Appears to only be available overseas and not here in the US.  I was researching possibly getting a prescription for it from a clinic nearby that knows about this medicine more than my primary doctor. Primary care doctors in the military are really only interested in keeping members fit for full duty and there is still a lot of stigma attached to men having sex with men.  So, their experience/knowledge vary on this stuff a lot.  But the process to get a generic shipped to the US looks strange - nobody takes credit cards, the prescription process is different - some require it, some don't, they only accept bitcoin for payment etc. And, I don't know if the pills are regulated or even quality assured.  For all I would know they could be sending me tic-tacs in a bottle and the first guy who squirts his load in my rear end could turn me poz and there would be nothing I could do about it.   All I would be able to do is start my HIV medication regimen for the rest of my life. It feels unfair - I don't think the taxpayer should have to pay for this stuff, but at the same time there are others out there whose insurers are covering it and they get to enjoy sex with men because doing it bare isn't as a big a risk for them.

You might want to check out here; https://www.truvada.com/how-to-get-truvada-for-prep/truvada-cost They have co-pay assistance cards that are good for up to $3600 a year and yes even if your "co-pay" is the total price they still work. It might not cover a pill a day, but it might be enough for a few days before and after your next trip to the club

Edited by lower_bucks_bottom
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, mike18fan said:

I enjoy hooking up with guys every now and then and usually I meet them going to the CrewClub here in DC for anon sex about once a month. I'm the guy who lays on the bed face down naked with the door open.  In the last few months I've noticed that fewer tops are willing to fuck me. I get lots of guys that come into the room, rub my butt some, finger my hole a little, and then take off. Only about 1 in 10 will close the door and take off their towel and stay awhile.   I think it's because I have condoms laying out. There are so many bottoms now on PrEP and willing to do it bare with them that they just move on to them.  And I can't blame them for that decision.  So, I desperately want to start doing it bare with them also - but I also want to stay neg. I'm having trouble figuring out a way to afford PrEP.  My insurance won't cover it (yet they will cover HIV medication if I was to become poz).  Anyway, is there a less expensive way (getting in from overseas etc) that others are able to use to get this stuff? Would a generic be good enough? I'm starting to think that if I can't get it, I'll just have to trust guys who tells me they recently tested neg and offer to let them cum inside my butt bare. Or else, stop trying to hookup because i won't be able to compete with so many bareback bottoms available. Any advice? 

I used to live in the DC area for many years and the Whitman-walker clinic (https://www.whitman-walker.org/)is a great resource.  Follow the link and check them out.

8 hours ago, mike18fan said:

My insurance won't cover it (yet they will cover HIV medication if I was to become poz).

That is so typical of our misfunctional healthcare system.  Ridiculous. I wish I had something to suggest - I checked out Gilead's site, and they confirm that your plan won't cover PReP. Whitman-Walker looks promising. I also searched and found this:

https://www.cdc.gov/hiv/pdf/risk/prep/cdc-hiv-paying-for-prep.pdf

Good luck!

Unfortunately in Hungary the PreP is not promoted, it costs 1000$ a month. Fucking expensive. More then a general monthly loan. I try to order from abroad. Supposed I'm neg yet. After I've got the lab result, I fucked with seven guys bb, and collected ten loads (in 10 days). :D

Guest bukkakio
On 6/9/2018 at 7:32 PM, descartes70817 said:

Aldaychemist sells Temvir EM 300/200, accepts Visa cards and ships internationally.

Did you personally order from that website?

Guest descartes70817
1 hour ago, bukkakio said:

Did you personally order from that website?

I order other medications from them, and they've been reliable so far.

Here is a comprehensive list of reliable suppliers of generics: https://www.prep.global/get-prep

All of these will ship to the US. Many people around the world use generic prep and many samples have been lab tested and found safe.

Counterfeit meds are not unheard of but that can happen even with "legitimate" prescription drugs. There are scams out there -- it's an unfortunate reality of life. But it's very rare, and not a reason not to take generic prep if you are at risk of HIV.

The only important thing, if you are going to self-source prep online, is to do so ONLY under the ongoing care of a competent doctor/nurse practitioner. You need (a) to be certain that you are HIV-neg on starting and to re-test at regular intervals (b) to have your kidneys checked periodically for potential (rare) adverse effects.

I'm pretty sure I've heard of military personnel whose prep is covered by Tricare. You might contact the Prep helpline that helps people work out insurance questions: 1-800-226-2056.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1