Viral Rebound Question

My question is this:  How long, in a general sense will it take for a viral load to rebound after stopping meds?  I know everyone is different, so thats why I said in a general sense.  The background is that I am switching from Atripla to Biktarvy soon, and I have a bud that has been chasing for years.  He asked me to do it, and I agreed.  To do so, I am going to take a brief holiday between meds.  I have been poz for 5 years, on meds for 3.  I have only ever shared the "gift" the same way I got it, via blood slam.  That doesnt require much of a vl to be successful, but he wants it the old fashioned way...

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Guest Porthos

I've read that your viral load will climb relatively quickly to about the same level when you started meds, then climb slower over a longer period of time

Yer ,

Im asking the same question because I have buddies who have been chasing without success   One has asked me to assist in his conversion 

I'm  considering coming off Atripla for enough time to get my V.L high enough to do the job

• 2 weeks later...

You may want to consider looking at this study conducted in 1999 on a small group of people. Proceedings National Academy of Sciences of USA http://www.pnas.org/content/96/26/15109.figures-only

Levels returned to greater than 500 copies/ml (vl) within 6 to 15 days (median 10 days) and approached or exceeded pre-therapy levels in all patients within 21 days. From my reading of the study it seemed viral load increased approximately every 2.5 days. So if you start out at vl of 50 then 2.5 days later you would be at 100 and 2.5 days after that be at 200, then 400 after another 2.5 days and so forth. In other words the viral load doubles every 2.5 days until it reaches a point ( but in the tens of thousands or higher) that varies by individual. 

In another study There were no instances of transmissions by seropositive subjects with undetectable viral loads or with serum HIV-1 RNA levels of less than 1500 viral load. .N Engl J Med 2000; 342:921-929 March 30, 2000.

I read someone else that viral loads above 30,000 are good for breeding but of course the higher the better. Some it is always best to breed multiple times spaced out over time (like days). Gettting 5 loads in one night is not as good as getting one load a night over 5 nights

I am not a medical professional so it is possible I have incorrectly interpreted something. I have included links to the studies for people to read on their own and draw their own conclusions. Also, maybe there is more current information I am not aware of.

Happy breeding.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/24/2018 at 6:08 PM, dclookin said:

You may want to consider looking at this study conducted in 1999 on a small group of people. Proceedings National Academy of Sciences of USA http://www.pnas.org/content/96/26/15109.figures-only

Levels returned to greater than 500 copies/ml (vl) within 6 to 15 days (median 10 days) and approached or exceeded pre-therapy levels in all patients within 21 days. From my reading of the study it seemed viral load increased approximately every 2.5 days. So if you start out at vl of 50 then 2.5 days later you would be at 100 and 2.5 days after that be at 200, then 400 after another 2.5 days and so forth. In other words the viral load doubles every 2.5 days until it reaches a point ( but in the tens of thousands or higher) that varies by individual. 

In another study There were no instances of transmissions by seropositive subjects with undetectable viral loads or with serum HIV-1 RNA levels of less than 1500 viral load. .N Engl J Med 2000; 342:921-929 March 30, 2000.

I read someone else that viral loads above 30,000 are good for breeding but of course the higher the better. Some it is always best to breed multiple times spaced out over time (like days). Gettting 5 loads in one night is not as good as getting one load a night over 5 nights

I am not a medical professional so it is possible I have incorrectly interpreted something. I have included links to the studies for people to read on their own and draw their own conclusions. Also, maybe there is more current information I am not aware of.

Happy breeding.

Interesting and good info.  My only issue is that I was still in the conversion phase (dead end of it tho) when I started meds at my bf's insistance.  So, I sure as hell hope that my vl doesnt get back up to that "over 10 million, so we can't measure it" number, which is where I was at.  I was burning thru t cells faster than a nascar race at that level, altho it would pretty much ensure that one fuck is all it took.

On 6/12/2018 at 6:08 PM, sbw1174 said:

I converted by blood  slam, I've been on bictarvi  a month, a couple of years ago when I lost insurance and went off meds my viral climbed to an aids level in a few months

Grrr, I become hard reading this!

• Upvote 1