Hankie code, will I have any luck?

orionboy1

In the modern age of apps like Grindr, A4A, BBRT have probably made the old school hankey code obsolete. While I am sure many guys of my generation probably arent even aware there was such a thing, but guys I typically go after are in their 40s and 50s and Im sure most are well aware of what the hankey code is. 

I just recently bought a navy blue one (BB sex) and a light blue one (oral). Im sure Id obviously have luck in gay bars and stuff. 

Question is, lets say I were to wear these either hanging out of my front or back pocket while out shopping? at the mall? the grocery store? 

I have never had a hookup outside of using the apps or being at a gay bar. I think it would be hot if a guy approached me randomly in the mall or something and asked if I wanted to meet him in the bathroom for a quick suck or something. 

So, think Ill have any luck ? or will I just look silly? 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, orionboy1 said:

In the modern age of apps like Grindr, A4A, BBRT have probably made the old school hankey code obsolete. While I am sure many guys of my generation probably arent even aware there was such a thing, but guys I typically go after are in their 40s and 50s and Im sure most are well aware of what the hankey code is. 

I just recently bought a navy blue one (BB sex) and a light blue one (oral). Im sure Id obviously have luck in gay bars and stuff. 

Question is, lets say I were to wear these either hanging out of my front or back pocket while out shopping? at the mall? the grocery store? 

I have never had a hookup outside of using the apps or being at a gay bar. I think it would be hot if a guy approached me randomly in the mall or something and asked if I wanted to meet him in the bathroom for a quick suck or something. 

So, think Ill have any luck ? or will I just look silly? 

I see a guy around here...I'd say he is mature (50s-60)  Tries really hard to dress young.  The NP hat is skewed, the jeans slung low.  He walks around with a red hankie in his left back pocket ALL THE TIME.  I think he looks like a fool.  Oh the leather writ straps don't even come off when he's working out at the gym.... LOL

I agree with mj that about needing a card to remember the colours. Hankies did have a place in our shared gay history. I never did use or even memorize the colours and in which pocket the hankies went. I don't know about using hankies in 2018. I probably won't. 

To the OP, I would try it out especially if you go for 40 and 50 year old guys.    Can't hurt to go retro.

I do think there were too many colors in th e hanky code.    In general, left pocket meant Active, while right pocket meant Passive.

Main ones I remember are:

Color                                      Left back pocket                                   Right back pocket

Navy Blue                              Fucker                                                   Fuckee

Light Blue                              Cocksucker                                            Wants cock sucked

Red                                       Fister                                                     Fistee

Yellow                                   Water sports-Giver                               Water Sports-Receiver

I think Black meant S&M with  left being the Sadist, and right being the Masochist.

There were another 7 or 8 colors, maybe more, but I can't for the life of me remember what all the fetishes are.

I almost exclusively displayed Navy Blue, right,  with Light Blue, left and/or right a distant second.

Before the internet and all the hookup sites, it was an effective communications system at the bars trying to arrange a hookup.

• Upvote 1

I think this is an awesome thing. While tech has evolved to where this isn't as relevant anymore, it's still usable if you go to parties or group get togethers. Alto I'd say much of my generation may not have been exposed to it. I still love it.

Guest alwaysready

this is venue dependent. leather bars, and that type of space. you can find the code in google and I am sure most if not all of you could find a way to shrink it to pocket size. there really only about half a dozen or so colors you see generally.

I've heard the old hanky code originated in San Francisco during the Gold Rush days. There were so many men around but hardly any women so that when the guys wanted to dance hankies worn on the left side meant you lead, the traditional male role, while worn on the right meant you followed. That eventually morphed into the multiple color hankie Cole in the 1970's.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, btm2bbred said:

To the OP, I would try it out especially if you go for 40 and 50 year old guys.    Can't hurt to go retro.

I do think there were too many colors in th e hanky code.    In general, left pocket meant Active, while right pocket meant Passive.

Main ones I remember are:

Color                                      Left back pocket                                   Right back pocket

Navy Blue                              Fucker                                                   Fuckee

Light Blue                              Cocksucker                                            Wants cock sucked

Red                                       Fister                                                     Fistee

Yellow                                   Water sports-Giver                               Water Sports-Receiver

I think Black meant S&M with  left being the Sadist, and right being the Masochist.

There were another 7 or 8 colors, maybe more, but I can't for the life of me remember what all the fetishes are.

I almost exclusively displayed Navy Blue, right,  with Light Blue, left and/or right a distant second.

Before the internet and all the hookup sites, it was an effective communications system at the bars trying to arrange a hookup.

Oops!   I gotta make a correction to my "Light Blue" entry.     It is  just the opposite.   Left pocket means "Wants cock sucked" , while Right pocket means  "Cocksucker".

I Googled "Hanky Code" and found a table that lists about  70 colors.     Who knew that Gold Hanky meant:    Left= Has 8"+, while Right = Wants 8"+ ?

The old DC Eagle bar, then on 7th Street NW in the 80's used to hand out business cards with the Hanky Code on the back for about a dozen colors.

Breedable70 -- Thanks for the info about the Gold Rush days.    

I see guys with the main ones out at the Eagle and other leather type bars.  The ones for piss play, anal sex, cock sucking.  Rarely see any of the ones beyond that could also be due to the fact that it's not easy to find every color hanky at the local Target.  I see blue ones at Dollar Tree but other than that I guess Amazon would be my next place to look.

I'm old enough to remember when hankie codes were popular.  My old haunt when I lived in NY was the LURE and you could see the full spectrum on display.  You'll need a navy with white polka dots for bareback and you might have to go to your local fabric store to find it.  Older guys will appreciate this bit of silent communication.

On 6/21/2018 at 10:25 PM, seaguy said:

I see guys with the main ones out at the Eagle and other leather type bars.

The Eagle here in Portland actually has -- or at least had -- a vending machine that offers hankies. It's delightful.

And yeah, I've had pretty good luck with it.

13 hours ago, evilqueerpig said:

You'll need a navy with white polka dots for bareback 

I’m confused - To signal bareback, you want navy blue, or it has to be navy blue with white polka dots

I would imagine the latter would be significantly harder to come by, and thus the plain navy blue would be the default code for a practice as fundamental as fucking bare. Could the polka dots be an additional signal for willingness to take loads?

I have never attempted to use the system, but am willing to employ any method that gets one more cock balls-deep inside me.