Hankie code, will I have any luck?

orionboy1

Guest FinalDL2021

I find myself being nostalgic for the ways guys used to Cruise, and think it would be erotic to encounter such a ritual. I have only heard of the Hankie Code in Documentaries.  Considering myself a good spokesman for the Gen-X generation. I started out, meeting other men, answering ads in a local newspaper, then I got the courage to move on to Bars; I never actually saw the Hankie code being applied.

I've always liked the code. And I've definitely seen it done -- actually, I think I've seen red (fisting) more often than the other ones. Also, I think some guys use bandanas or something in their pocket just to signal they're gay (and top or bottom). I have the ones I'd use (dark blue, light blue, yellow). I've carried the dark blue one (left side) a few times, and maybe the light blue one with it. I can't remember where or why, but I've done it. Nothing with the yellow one.

Nothing happened that wasn't already going to happen. I wore the dark blue one over my face when one guy did video of us fucking, and that's about all.

18 hours ago, BiTakenItBare said:

I find myself being nostalgic for the ways guys used to Cruise, and think it would be erotic to encounter such a ritual. I have only heard of the Hankie Code in Documentaries.  Considering myself a good spokesman for the Gen-X generation. I started out, meeting other men, answering ads in a local newspaper, then I got the courage to move on to Bars; I never actually saw the Hankie code being applied.

Much the same. I'm in my forties, and it seemed like the Hankie Code was already a relic of a bygone era when I first started actively seeking hookups with men in the early 90s. The only reason I knew about it at all is because in my quest for fresh jerk-off material in the pre-internet age, I had read (or at least skimmed) every book at my local library that had anything to do with queer sexuality, culture, or history.

I knew about it but never saw it used either and I've been around for a while. Maybe it was more an American than a European thing. For me it would be a Navy Blue on the right. Right or left was easy enough to remember: L(eft) = Leading, R(ight) = Receiving (if I'm correct for all options).

Maybe it's an idea for a bar to organize a Hanky Night to crank up the number of customers ? If you have a place where Left and Right can practice what they show of course.....

hanky-code.jpg

Edited by NLbear
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

It is definitely sentimental of a note to flash a hankie off-premises these days. But there is still a very common use of the same hankie color scheme in general attire and sex gear that can be seen at all major gay events worldwide. Stripes, ribbing, piping, weaving, hosiery and even lacing - anything can carry a color-coded meaning for an in-person encounter. Here strength can be in numbers too. And many can invite a compliment or two to strike a convo with or without a mutually-satisfying 10-min or more long term relationship. It's even more fun to indulge in other things than one vs. grand ole fucking waiting for another session to start.

Would seem to me that there is no NAVY BLUE code for barebackers, just for catcher or pitcher. After all, back then in the 70's 80's BAREBACK fucking was the norm. There wasn't even a name for it! Then came that tacky rubber fashion that never really caught on, not with the church and not with the hardcore gays, lol. Safe sex or whatever? Mister CONEHEAD used them as bubble-gum!

I would think wearing a T-shirt from BBRT or one that says RAW HIDE, CUM-DUMPSTER, 'no saddle' or  'strictly BB' or something that bold would be more effective in an underlit bar. I would rather wear those fashion statements.

Note how the color codes for cowboys and scat are confusingly close. I wonder how many drunk COWBOYS woke up in a mess of manure in the motel mornings!? LOL (failure to communicate)

I at was at a big antique Mall today and one of the clerks had a navy blue hankie in is back right pocket.  I hadn't thought about the hankie code in a long time.  Funny it would be in the forums tonight.  I was with my partner so I couldn't do anything about it, he was damn hot too for a fifty something guy.  Have seen him there before so will check things out more!!!!  

Guest takingdeepanal
On 6/30/2018 at 4:28 PM, NLbear said:

I knew about it but never saw it used either and I've been around for a while. Maybe it was more an American than a European thing. For me it would be a Navy Blue on the right. Right or left was easy enough to remember: L(eft) = Leading, R(ight) = Receiving (if I'm correct for all options).

Maybe it's an idea for a bar to organize a Hanky Night to crank up the number of customers ? If you have a place where Left and Right can practice what they show of course.....

hanky-code.jpg

Orange on the right can have one of two meanings:

Just cruising; OR

Anything anytime. 

10 hours ago, rawsatyr said:

Would seem to me that there is no NAVY BLUE code for barebackers, just for catcher or pitcher. After all, back then in the 70's 80's BAREBACK fucking was the norm. There wasn't even a name for it! Then came that tacky rubber fashion that never really caught on, not with the church and not with the hardcore gays, lol. Safe sex or whatever? Mister CONEHEAD used them as bubble-gum!

I would think wearing a T-shirt from BBRT or one that says RAW HIDE, CUM-DUMPSTER, 'no saddle' or  'strictly BB' or something that bold would be more effective in an underlit bar. I would rather wear those fashion statements.

Note how the color codes for cowboys and scat are confusingly close. I wonder how many drunk COWBOYS woke up in a mess of manure in the motel mornings!? LOL (failure to communicate)

There was an attempt at a barebacking hankie navy blue with white polka dots but it never caught on, possibly because use of the hankie code was rare by the time it was attempted and also because that pattern was very difficult to find in a hankie. I believe there was another attempt also on Bareback jack but I don't remember what that one was.

7 hours ago, PissPigBrooklyn said:

There was an attempt at a barebacking hankie navy blue with white polka dots but it never caught on, possibly because use of the hankie code was rare by the time it was attempted and also because that pattern was very difficult to find in a hankie. I believe there was another attempt also on Bareback jack but I don't remember what that one was.

Thanks for that update. To be honest, in all the years of 'being out' and in the bars I don't recall to EVER notice a hanky on anyone. Maybe I wasn't looking, maybe it was already a 'by-gone trend'. Yes a navy-blue with polka dots sounds like a tough ticket to fill... I have however noticed something (somewhere) with navy-blue and black stripes, a flag I think. But maybe too close to what cops put on their licence plates...

• Like 1