HIV risk and Older Men

Guest FinalDL2021

Guest FinalDL2021

I just turned 50 Last month, and I have also been experiencing a real comfort level with my sexuality, and barebacking all at the same time. I have completely accepted the risk that are involved. Over the past year, I've has sex with other men that are undetectable, and I go to the bath houses and have anonymous sex on occasion, I am still HIV neg.  Does your immune system decrease with age? and is it easier to get infected at an older age? other than what some people would call high risk sexual behavior, I live a very healthy lifestyle, don't smoke and only drink socially. I am a Runner, and I also x-train at the gym on a regular bases. I am just curious to know what my chances are?

Guest KMMPaGuy

I'm just into my 70's, pretty good health. Active, but not a runner. Have decided to begin barebacking and not worry about the risk. I'm not doing PrEP.

When I counsel older guys, I point out that preventive medicine (PrEP) has les benefit the older someone is.... Basically with someone older the worse case scenario is that you become HIV+ and go in ARVs, which will have about the same negative impact on ones body as PrEP at that point.  You're going to be taking them for a shorter period of time (life span?) then someone in their 20s lets say. 

Just have fun and get tested regularly

• Upvote 1

Guest FriendlyBottom
1 hour ago, fillmyholeftl said:

When I counsel older guys, I point out that preventive medicine (PrEP) has les benefit the older someone is.... Basically with someone older the worse case scenario is that you become HIV+ and go in ARVs, which will have about the same negative impact on ones body as PrEP at that point.  You're going to be taking them for a shorter period of time (life span?) then someone in their 20s lets say. 

Just have fun and get tested regularly

This is news to me.  Can you provide a link to an article published in a peer-reviewed journal that substantiates this claim?  I'm very interested in reading more about this.  Thank you.

Guest FriendlyBottom
2 hours ago, BiTakenItBare said:

I just turned 50 Last month, and I have also been experiencing a real comfort level with my sexuality, and barebacking all at the same time. I have completely accepted the risk that are involved. Over the past year, I've has sex with other men that are undetectable, and I go to the bath houses and have anonymous sex on occasion, I am still HIV neg.  Does your immune system decrease with age? and is it easier to get infected at an older age? other than what some people would call high risk sexual behavior, I live a very healthy lifestyle, don't smoke and only drink socially. I am a Runner, and I also x-train at the gym on a regular bases. I am just curious to know what my chances are?

I think it's awesome that you've reached a new comfort level with your sexuality and are experiencing the unparalleled joy of bareback fucking.  Nothing in life is free of risk, but there are steps you can take to reduce your risk of acquiring HIV and other STIs.  PreP can nearly eliminate the risk of acquiring HIV and other steps can be taken to reduce your risk of other STIs (e.g. cultivating fuckbuddy relationships with a small number of "ethical sluts" -- i.e. men who get tested for STIs on the regular and are somewhat discerning in their choice of sexual partners).

To answer your specific question -- "I am just curious to know what my chances are?":  You live in the SF Bay Area, where the HIV prevalence is relatively high, and you enjoy taking raw dick and catching cum with multiple partners at the bathhouse (and elsewhere) who you don't know and haven't queried about your HIV status.  While the prevalence of HIV is high in your area, the use of HAART is common and, thus, many poz guys in your area are undetectable, but not every bareback top you may encounter knows his status much less is adequately medicated.  So....you are at risk of HIV infection.  I think if you had an honest, open conversation with your (hopefully, gay, experienced, and sex-positive) primary care doctor, he'd describe you as "high risk" and encourage you to get on PreP.  I can't give you a quantitative answer and I don't your doctor could either (e.g. "You have a XX% of acquiring HIV is your take 3 anonymous loads in your ass every month for the next year.")

20 minutes ago, FriendlyBottom said:

This is news to me.  Can you provide a link to an article published in a peer-reviewed journal that substantiates this claim?  I'm very interested in reading more about this.  Thank you.

Its my own opinion... its common sense

I`m an older guy too. 64  I am fairly new to gay sex. I am very sexually aroused by taking the risk of getting pozzed. So I am not taking or will I take Prep. I want my ass to be vulnerable to catching it. There are many poz guys out there that are dealing with being poz and they are living a healthy fun life. I want to have fun and just enjoy the sex to the fullest so for me bare full on breeding is the only way with everything that goes with that.

50 is a great age, 60 good too, perhaps 75 is an age you are enjoying life. You ever stop and look at your parents? I’ve lost one already, the remaining has health challenges. They raised me to think long term, they lead healthy lives. Fact remains that as we age we also start to develop health challenges. I too was once a super fit freak, running, gym etc. developed challenges with my knees, running had to go etc. I’m still fortunate, my health is still relatively good. I’m also watching around me and seeing people age, some say they don’t understand why they don’t have their health, they looked after themselves.

guess what I’m trying to say is that everything changes, you’ve spent your life looking after yourself, why toss it away? Not going on meds? What happens if your health takes a downwards spirals? Saved enough money? What happens if we find ourselves with no medical coverage for meds? There’s recently talk about a vaccine, years out perhaps, that to me would be ideal. You could have your cake and eat it too.

look after yourself, don’t toss it all away. 

Am 66 1/2yr old here, have never really had anything serious other than a couple of accidents that should have probably done me in over my life time.  I just came to the conclusion that in all my bottoming life and having been so careful and selective over the years, it did put a damper on a lot of things, so as of the beginning of 2016, began taking any and all anonymous that wished to take and old man's ass.

Have had a lot of fun since then and still remain neg so far, but have decided that when and if it does happen, will deal with the issues when they come up. For myself, I'm in the frame of thinking as about the same as with others here, this late in age, if it does happen and if I do decide on meds, I won't have to be on them as long now as if it had happened in my 20's or 30's, etc.

Guest FinalDL2021
3 hours ago, cman54 said:

I`m an older guy too. 64  I am fairly new to gay sex. I am very sexually aroused by taking the risk of getting pozzed. So I am not taking or will I take Prep. I want my ass to be vulnerable to catching it. There are many poz guys out there that are dealing with being poz and they are living a healthy fun life. I want to have fun and just enjoy the sex to the fullest so for me bare full on breeding is the only way with everything that goes with that.

I enjoy the thrill as well, makes me feel like a teenager again. I feel that is why I am so liberated about gay sex now. If I do get pozzed, I like the math, I am 50, a third of my life is left, considering I live to be 75-85, I would hope that if I do get knocked up, I catch a strain that is slow acting,