PrEP in Ontario

garsento

I've just tested negative, courtesy of the Sunday session offered by the Hassle Free Clinic at the 519. I was not too surprised--I have been consistent in my condom usage, the only exceptions being the bareback sex I've had with undetectable guys and PrEPsters--but I was relieved. Unless, somehow, I've been infected within the window period, I should be negative and free to start on PrEP.

I know there are Ontarians here. If you are on PrEP, how have you gotten on it? What route did you take? What sort of funding did you get? (Pharmacare would be lovely in Ontario, but under Ford we're not going to get it.)

2 hours ago, Cutedelicategay said:

Agreed that prevention is better than cure but without factoring the pubmic health system the discussion will go nowhere. 

So, you're not willing to provide useful commentary on the actual process of seeking out PrEP in Ontario?

• Moderators
On 7/20/2018 at 9:04 AM, torcub said:

So, you're not willing to provide useful commentary on the actual process of seeking out PrEP in Ontario?

Moderator's Note: He did give you commentary on the process in his first post before he began sidetracking the discussion.

On 7/16/2018 at 3:01 PM, Cutedelicategay said:

Being in Ottawa I can say that you need either a referral from public health clinic to ID doctor who is a Prep provider. If you have a family doctor ask him or her. In Ottawa there are 2 Prep provider doctors. Most family doctors are reluctant as the duty of care is very high. You have to get tested every 3 months for HIV and other STI. Also chances of acquiring other STI are pretty high given the barebacking intent when on Prep. Family doctors find that too high risk for liability purposes. Truvada is around 900$ for 3 months while generic brand is 500$. 

Also, I agree your thread has been hijacked. I will split off the off-topic posts. Next time, please just report the problem. 

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 7/16/2018 at 1:45 PM, torcub said:

I've just tested negative, courtesy of the Sunday session offered by the Hassle Free Clinic at the 519. I was not too surprised--I have been consistent in my condom usage, the only exceptions being the bareback sex I've had with undetectable guys and PrEPsters--but I was relieved. Unless, somehow, I've been infected within the window period, I should be negative and free to start on PrEP.

I know there are Ontarians here. If you are on PrEP, how have you gotten on it? What route did you take? What sort of funding did you get? (Pharmacare would be lovely in Ontario, but under Ford we're not going to get it.)

I live in Toronto and started my prep a month ago.  I got the prescription through Talk Shop Sexual Health clinic operated under City of Toronto Public Health.  Just go online and book an counselling appointment.  They will ask your sexual habit and see if you are candidate for the prep. If you tell them that you always have sex with condoms and have just one partner, then they won’t think you need prep. Just Tell them that you don’t play safe all the time  and have multiple partners, then you are their intent target.  They will also test you for HIV and other STD.  You will also schedule a 2nd appointment in about 2 weeks time. If all your tests are ok, then you will get your prep prescription on your 2nd appointment. They are several clinics in GTA. The staff there are friendly and non-judgmental. If you want any other further info as to how to get prep in Toronto, go to this website https://thevillagepharmacy.ca . They have all the info you need.  If you don’t have private health insurance , the generic prep costs about $300+ a month.  I am paying about $30 something because I have ManualLife insurance through my workplace. Good Luck to you.

• 1 year later...

Went to my 1st appointment at Maple Leave Clinic in downtown Toronto (Yonge and College area). Took about 2 weeks from initial call to actual appointment. They ran me through a questionnaire, had a long chat with a cool nurse who talked about side effects, dosing, side effects, let me know about a new (more expensive) version for those who might have kidney problems, talked about potential upcoming 2 x year injection and possibly 1 x year implant of Prep. Then did blood work and urine test. Going back next week and if all good, get my prescription for Prep

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/16/2018 at 1:45 PM, torcub said:

Go and speak with Dr. Fannous at Medsexpert in the village. He'll point you in the right direction and can get you set up with trillium. However, it may be cheaper to get private insurance but you'd need one that covers PrEP. He may be able to help with that too.

Also, there's a PrEP clinical at Maple leaf medical.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...