Prepsters are stretching it too far...

Guest Cutedelicategay

Guest Cutedelicategay

So I met with this dude who wanted to fuck me. We met for a coffee as that's what he wanted. Cute fit well hung guy. He is on Prep and told me that he is taking Prep for added protection and still uses condoms. This came as a surprise to me.

I know thats what the health care practitioners are required to say and Prep provides for only 98% protection and doesnt prevent other STI from spreading etc. But statistically there are a couple cases of Prep failure, one being in Toronto, given over a few hundred thousands on Prep. I know people who are on Prep because they want to bareback. Bacterial infections are nasty but 100% curable while Hiv is manageable not curable. But I felt this guy is stretching Prep too far. I fail to understand why is he taking chemicals when condoms have done the job well this far? He is the first person on Prep who said this to me. I turned him down as I never allow condoms enter my sanctum.

Does anyone else have an opinion or similar experience to share?

I know two guys that use Prep + condoms.  One is a good friend (but not sex buddy),  We talk pretty openly.  I know he and I have fucked with some of the same guys, and those guys have all barebacked with me, and usually ALWAYS bareback, so I have to wonder if he's telling the truth.  On the flip side, he's a total germophobe......uses purell like it's his only protection against the world, SAYS he won't hook up with a poz guy even if he's undetectable, and even with his Prep and condoms......so I don't know.   The second guy is pretty new on Prep.  We play, and I've told him I want to fuck him raw, but he says he still uses condoms to reduce the stds......it's hard to argue if that's his reason since I've personally caught several now that EVERYONE has gone raw and dipping dicks in everyone's holes in town.  I think it's just a matter of time for guy #2.  I brought him to a sex party and when the HOT HOT guy fucking him started losing his hardon with a condom on, my buudy let him fuck him raw :)  He'll be cumming around soon!

Guest alwaysready

the web show 'history' deals with this prep + condom issue. I don't agree with what was scripted, but understand their reasoning.

Guest GoneFishing

that’s a bummer 

plenanty of fish in the semen my friend 

come over ill take care of your ass ! ☣️?

• Moderators

Some guys don't take PrEP to fuck bare. They want it for back up in case a rubber breaks. 

I don't think it makes much sense for HIV prevention. PrEP works so well, the condom isn't really doing anything against HIV. But it still prevents other STIs, and some guys are paranoid about those, too. 

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, drscorpio said:

Some guys don't take PrEP to fuck bare. They want it for back up in case a rubber breaks. 

I don't think it makes much sense for HIV prevention. PrEP works so well, the condom isn't really doing anything against HIV. But it still prevents other STIs, and some guys are paranoid about those, too. 

Prep is better protection than condoms for HIV, and plenty of guys who religiously used condoms ended up poz anyway, so it makes sense even for condom users to add that extra layer. It's not superfluous.

As for other STIs: I don't think it's fair to use the world "paranoid." No, they're not going to kill you, but they are a huge pain in the ass. Since going bareback I started getting them 3-4 times a year. Each time involves missing work to go to the doctor, copays that add up, and shots that aren't necessarily much fun (the ones for syphilis hurt like hell, in particular). Plus, notifying partners can be an unpleasant task, and I am man enough to do so, as should we all.

I have no trouble understanding why someone would choose to use condoms for those reasons alone. Some guys don't mind them all that much. For me, they do reduce pleasure, (though I will agree to fuck a dude who insists on one, if he's hot enough). But not everyone is wired the same.

Edited by 6811283
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Another thing: while the scare stories about resistant gonorrhea are exaggerated for now, there may come a time when it's a real threat. At that point, condoms really may become a necessity again (at least until they develop new antibiotics).

Once you've tasted bareback it's very hard to go back. So it might make sense for guys who are OK with condoms to stick with them, so they don't forget how to enjoy "safe" sex.

Edited by 6811283
  • Upvote 1

On ‎7‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 5:16 PM, Cutedelicategay said:

So I met with this dude who wanted to fuck me. We met for a coffee as that's what he wanted. Cute fit well hung guy. He is on Prep and told me that he is taking Prep for added protection and still uses condoms. This came as a surprise to me.

I know thats what the health care practitioners are required to say and Prep provides for only 98% protection and doesnt prevent other STI from spreading etc. But statistically there are a couple cases of Prep failure, one being in Toronto, given over a few hundred thousands on Prep. I know people who are on Prep because they want to bareback. Bacterial infections are nasty but 100% curable while Hiv is manageable not curable. But I felt this guy is stretching Prep too far. I fail to understand why is he taking chemicals when condoms have done the job well this far? He is the first person on Prep who said this to me. I turned him down as I never allow condoms enter my sanctum.

Does anyone else have an opinion or similar experience to share?

In my outreach/testing efforts I've come across a number of guys who use PrEP as backup.  They're mostly Bi and with Girlfriends

• 3 months later...

I have one friend who is on PrEP and uses condoms. He is the only guy I will play with and use condoms as we've been friends forever. He's married and his wife knows he plays with guys, but the one requirement is he use condoms, and he's always honored that. I wish he'd go bare just once, but after all this time, I doubt he ever will.

I don't think it's overkill to use both. Condoms have like a 2-3% failure rate, so if a man has 100 partners a year (or in 5 years, or in a decade), that's 2 or 3 chances to get HIV. For a lot of people, 1 chance is WAY too many. So I understand wanting a backup plan/extra protecting in place. It's no different than a woman who uses multiple types/methods of birth control because she REALLY does not want to get pregnant. I mean, my car has seat belts, but I'm glad it also has airbags and other safety devices.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, raunchycumslut said:

I don't think it's overkill to use both. Condoms have like a 2-3% failure rate, so if a man has 100 partners a year (or in 5 years, or in a decade), that's 2 or 3 chances to get HIV. For a lot of people, 1 chance is WAY too many. So I understand wanting a backup plan/extra protecting in place. It's no different than a woman who uses multiple types/methods of birth control because she REALLY does not want to get pregnant. I mean, my car has seat belts, but I'm glad it also has airbags and other safety devices.

But if he's on PREP, the 2-3% failure rate of a condom breaking doesn't play into equation.  Protecting against other STI's makes sense, but getting fucked with a condom covered cock does not feel as good as a raw cock. I'll take my chances with STI's but feel 100% safe with PREP alone for not catching HIV. (If and when I become single again)

2 hours ago, punaman said:

But if he's on PREP, the 2-3% failure rate of a condom breaking doesn't play into equation.  Protecting against other STI's makes sense, but getting fucked with a condom covered cock does not feel as good as a raw cock. I'll take my chances with STI's but feel 100% safe with PREP alone for not catching HIV. (If and when I become single again)

Based on what the OP said, his friend was using condoms for protection from HIV (and presumably, other STIs). Neither PrEP nor condoms offer 100% protection (condoms have an established 2-3% failure rate, PrEP doesn't have an established failure rate (to my knowledge) but is known to have failed in rare instances, and a failure rate of <1% is still above a 0% failure rate, meaning there is some risk). What you or I feel is an acceptable level of risk for more enjoyable sex, is not relevant when someone else is making decisions about their health. No matter how you look at it, Condom+PrEP is lower risk for HIV transmission than either method alone, so if he is worried about HIV, but doesn't want to be abstinent, HIV+PrEP is his best option.

Guest Memphian
On 7/18/2018 at 7:54 PM, drscorpio said:

I go to an women's clinic affiliated with Planned Parenthood for PrEP, oddly enough.  (Although it's kind of hot sitting in a waiting room with all these young women who you KNOW put out or they wouldn't be there.  But that's a topic for another day.)

My point is when I was sitting in the exam room waiting on the doctor the other day there was a huge poster on the wall extolling the virtues of IUDs over the pill and condoms.  The failure rate for the pill is higher than I would expect.  I can't remember but it was at least 10 percent I think.  The poster said it would be close to 100% if all women would take them properly but apparently that's easier said than done. The failure rate for condoms was a lot higher than that according to the poster., and I'm sure a lot of that was due to operator error.

I only went on PrEP so I could go bareback all the time, and I don't have any problem sticking to the dosing regimen because like a lot of guys in their mid 50s, I'm used to taking some medicines every day anyway.  But I guess for younger guys with more hectic lifestyles a condom would add a layer of security.  I remember a 50-60 y.o. guy at the adult theater that would only suck cock after putting a condom on it.  I'd give up sucking cock if I were that afraid.