Became HIV + while on PreP

latinofever1

Just throwing in a few real facts. I started taking Truvada in Oct 2016. I tested as required every 3 months & strictly adhered to taking  my Truvada as directed daily.  I went for my normal 3 month test on July 20th 2018 & when I went to see my doctor for results I had tested + for HIV 1.  After further testing I have a viral load of 31 ml, CD4 @ 423 & when they tried to Genotype to get strain type they are unable to determine it. . Shows probable mutations & drug resistance predicted. I'm not trying to push anyones decisions either way just getting the facts out there. I was told to stop Truvada but the have not started  on any meds yet because I dont think they know what to give me.  I'm just saying it is a fact you can be on Truvada take it everyday as directed & still become infected. I am prooof of it....  I'm hoping this isnt the start of a real bad strain because people are trusting PreP way to much as I was. Anyway waiting on more tests & will post again as I get more info...                    BTW    I'm in Central California so its out there somewhere....

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks guy for sharing.  I am sure it was a surprise to you.  If comfortable, can you share anything more over your sex/drug pratices?  Anything out of the norm for you?  I ask as you seem very compliant so am trying to figure out if there were any other mitigating factors.  Don't mean to pry though.

Just to answer a couple questions posed to me... No I am not a drug addict. I smoke a little weed now & then but thats it.. LOL So it has nothing to do with a drug problem. My meds were not generic.,  Every pill I took was from a sealed container dispensed to me from Rite Aid pharmacy straight from Gilead.  

• Upvote 2

On 9/4/2018 at 6:35 PM, latinofever1 said:

Just to answer a couple questions posed to me... No I am not a drug addict. I smoke a little weed now & then but thats it.. LOL So it has nothing to do with a drug problem. My meds were not generic.,  Every pill I took was from a sealed container dispensed to me from Rite Aid pharmacy straight from Gilead.  

Firstly a straight up big thank you for letting us know your situation.  You must be well pissed off with this; I for one really appreciate any info you can give the rest of the prep community. 

Second thanks for answering our probably insensitive, repetitive, and probably plain-old annoying questions. I guess many of us are information junkies and appreciate whatever updates you can share.

let us know what we can do, DMs if that helps or what suites you too.

thanks again

Edited by Littlebill77
Typos
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

I should be able to give an update in a week or so. They have been unable to determine a genotype to determine the strain I have. My viral load is to low for the tests to determine it. Doctors say I should have a high viral load because I am not on any meds so have been waiting for it to go up... Just tested a few days ago waiting on results... I will update when I know something...

• Like 1

On ‎8‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 6:25 PM, latinofever1 said:

Just throwing in a few real facts. I started taking Truvada in Oct 2016. I tested as required every 3 months & strictly adhered to taking  my Truvada as directed daily.  I went for my normal 3 month test on July 20th 2018 & when I went to see my doctor for results I had tested + for HIV 1.  After further testing I have a viral load of 31 ml, CD4 @ 423 & when they tried to Genotype to get strain type they are unable to determine it. . Shows probable mutations & drug resistance predicted. I'm not trying to push anyones decisions either way just getting the facts out there. I was told to stop Truvada but the have not started  on any meds yet because I dont think they know what to give me.  I'm just saying it is a fact you can be on Truvada take it everyday as directed & still become infected. I am prooof of it....  I'm hoping this isnt the start of a real bad strain because people are trusting PreP way to much as I was. Anyway waiting on more tests & will post again as I get more info...                    BTW    I'm in Central California so its out there somewhere....

Are you the California guy that I've read about in some journals the last few days ?  And how are things now?