Became HIV + while on PreP

latinofever1

Guest Natural-bttm

Prep is only 90% effective.  In the USA Doctors say 100% effective.   What they don't tell people there are other strains of HIV.  Those strains are resistant to PreP.  Don't use that big brand named search engine (G) to find your info, not only do they track but also block info.    http://www.newnownext.com/infected-with-hiv-while-on-prep/03/2018/

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/22/2019 at 5:22 PM, Guest Natural-bttm said:

Prep is only 90% effective.  In the USA Doctors say 100% effective.   What they don't tell people there are other strains of HIV.  Those strains are resistant to PreP.  Don't use that big brand named search engine (G) to find your info, not only do they track but also block info.    http://www.newnownext.com/infected-with-hiv-while-on-prep/03/2018/

I already posted somewhere in the forum that I personally know around two dozen people who have been taken PrEP regularly and still seroconverted. Apparently, it's not working towards some strains. And I don't think the medical community will do anything about it.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/8/2018 at 6:32 PM, latinofever1 said:

I should be able to give an update in a week or so. They have been unable to determine a genotype to determine the strain I have. My viral load is to low for the tests to determine it. Doctors say I should have a high viral load because I am not on any meds so have been waiting for it to go up... Just tested a few days ago waiting on results... I will update when I know something...

A friend of mine is a non reactor she doesn't get sick and doesn't need meds as her immune system naturally surpresess the virus.

Could this be your case as well?

• Moderators
9 hours ago, Pozlover1 said:

Like antibiotic resistant Gono and insecticide resistant mosquitos, it’s not “evolution” per se but everything adapts as only survivors live to reproduce. 

There is a mitigating factor here though. HIV that is resistant to both drugs in Truvada is particularly weak and doesn’t spread very well. That is part of the reason Truvada was picked over other drugs to use as PrEP. That’s not saying what you are talking about will never happen, but there are no signs of it happening yet. 

Details of a study done in the Seattle area http://www.aidsmap.com/How-much-PrEP-resistant-HIV-is-out-there/page/3245143/

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Pozlover1 said:

Like antibiotic resistant Gono and insecticide resistant mosquitos, it’s not “evolution” per se but everything adapts as only survivors live to reproduce. 

And this virus is probably unique in it's ability to survive because it has 'found' a population that works hard to ensure it's spread, some purposefully (i.e., "chasers" and "gifters").