Became HIV + while on PreP

latinofever1

On 10/15/2018 at 8:51 PM, fillmyholeftl said:

Are you the California guy that I've read about in some journals the last few days ?  And how are things now?

Here is the med article, it should save @latinofever1 Having to answer the same questions over and over again.

https://www.medpagetoday.com/meetingcoverage/idweek/75657

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

OK no I am not the guy in the articles. They have not really investigated my case I believe because they cant get a genotype.  Heres where I'm at now... Just got new test results & still unable to determine genotype (strain) that I have. I am still not on meds & my doctor is now saying that I am an "Elite Controller" as my VL has gone down & my TCells have gone up even though I am not taking any meds. The highest VL I've had was 220copies mL & 1 month since that test it has dropped to 178. T-cells from 423 up to 528 this with no meds so not sure how to process all this. Being told I am "Elite Controller" I thought great I dont need to take meds but after researching it I found that actually "Elite Controllers" have the following issues:

When compared to non-elite-controllers on antiretroviral therapy (ART), elite controllers tend to have more than twice the number of hospitalizations, particularly from non-HIV-associated diseases that are known to disproportionately affect all people with HIV. 

When compared to non-elite-controllers on ART with undetectable viral loads, elite controllers had 77% more hospitalizations. Even non-elite-controllers with detectable virus fared better, suggesting that ART manages to minimize some of the long-term chronic inflammation that we know can increase the risk and premature development of non-HIV-associated cancers, cardiovascular diseases, and neurological disorders.

So I'm now caught in the debate of taking ART or not. Even if I decide to start treatment its a wild guess what drugs to use since they cant determine what strain I have. Even more so heres my thinking... So I seem to have a natural ability to fight HIV infection, & I was on PreP never missing a dose for two years.... How the hell did I become Poz in the first place... ?    IDK...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, latinofever1 said:

So I'm now caught in the debate of taking ART or not. Even if I decide to start treatment its a wild guess what drugs to use since they cant determine what strain I have. Even more so heres my thinking... So I seem to have a natural ability to fight HIV infection, & I was on PreP never missing a dose for two years.... How the hell did I become Poz in the first place... ?    IDK...

I don't know the answer to your questions, but some medications build up in a person's system over time (so if you miss a dose, it's not the end of the world). Could there be some PreP in your system perhaps skewing the results? Not sure if that could happen but it's a suggestion.

My CD4 was 54 in January 2001. I believe you don’t need a genotype to choose a drug regimen, and I also think all of them are antiviral somewhat against all viruses.

I had one of the foremost HIV doctors in the country  at first, and the one I have now has a lot of experience.  I do EXACTLY what he says, I take a flu shot and all the vaccinations etc.. If your doctor is just doing his best with internet searches he might be OK for most people but you need someone who’s seen it all, or he needs to consult someone who has.

Back before they knew for sure undetectable = untransmissable and the Federal guidelines changed to push everyone to be UD as soon as possible (to stop the spread) the guidelines used to suggest holding off until your CD4 dropped to some target - that target moved several times but stabilized at 450 for several years - because the meds are, well, toxic. Also people used to wear out their regimen and the early cases had run through them all. 

(Toxicity brings up another point. Health foods that “remove toxins” like Ponegranet juice and Grape Seed Extract flush the meds out of your system. Rolaids and Tums fuck up your absorption also)

I have to say do what your doctor recommends but it looks to me like hold off on meds and get labs done often (3 months if they will let you).

keep us posted, we are all learning and at my age I am in uncharted waters....a test pilot for an unproven rocket as it were.

Edited by Pozlover1
  • Like 1

Guest GoneFishing
18 hours ago, Pozlover1 said:

My CD4 was 54 in January 2001. I believe you don’t need a genotype to choose a drug regimen, and I also think all of them are antiviral somewhat against all viruses.

I had one of the foremost HIV doctors in the country  at first, and the one I have now has a lot of experience.  I do EXACTLY what he says, I take a flu shot and all the vaccinations etc.. If your doctor is just doing his best with internet searches he might be OK for most people but you need someone who’s seen it all, or he needs to consult someone who has.

Back before they knew for sure undetectable = untransmissable and the Federal guidelines changed to push everyone to be UD as soon as possible (to stop the spread) the guidelines used to suggest holding off until your CD4 dropped to some target - that target moved several times but stabilized at 450 for several years - because the meds are, well, toxic. Also people used to wear out their regimen and the early cases had run through them all. 

(Toxicity brings up another point. Health foods that “remove toxins” like Ponegranet juice and Grape Seed Extract flush the meds out of your system. Rolaids and Tums fuck up your absorption also)

I have to say do what your doctor recommends but it looks to me like hold off on meds and get labs done often (3 months if they will let you).

keep us posted, we are all learning and at my age I am in uncharted waters....a test pilot for an unproven rocket as it were.

wow 54 ! you have the big A☣️

Yes legally once AIDS always AIDS but there’s no discount at McDonalds or anything.

My CD4 is great and my VL undetectable now, and I can eat ass without any issues.

I use rubber gloves to change the cat litter and I dress more warmly in cold weather than I used to.

On 10/18/2018 at 4:03 PM, Pozlover1 said:

You state that Rolaids & tums fuck up their absorption... Where did you get that info? You may of just answered why I became poz while on PreP. I took tums & other acid reducers daily couple times a day. I have terrible acid reflux. I looked up on the internet, asked my doctors, truvada websites for drug interactions & never saw anything about antacids...     As far as Genotype they say that I must have a strain that is resistant to Truvada & knowing what strain a person has is very important to determining what ART drugs to use.  Anyway I am gonna be really pissed if I find out antacids are an issue because I specifically searched & asked about drug interactions.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

After reading more about this, it seems there are two primary strains of HIV?  One was the "original" and now a second strain is slowly becoming more prevalent - and Truvada contains two elements that prevent one strain but most likely not the second, newer one.  In addition, if you have autosomal (meaning from BOTH parents) CCR5-Delta32 (a deletion from your gene sequence) you are almost immune from contracting HIV, from possibly both strains.  So, I wonder, if someone has the autosomal CCR5-Delta 32 AND takes PrEP, have they fully protected themselves from HIV? 

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...