First Time I've Been Appalled by Access to Sexual Health Services UK

Well this is the first time I've ever struggled to access sexual health services here in the UK.

CALLED my local clinic and the earliest appointment I could get is over 2 weeks away even though I have symptoms.

Normally it's within 24 hours

The only option they could offer is walk in clinic which could take up to 4 hours to see me.

I work full time so it's not like I can just drop everything to sit and wait for hours.

What I don't understand is why they can't offer more appointments.

Anyone had any issues like this before or any info on better access to testing/home tests in the UK?

Guest Cumlaut

The underfunding by the horrendous conservative government is causing trouble all over the NHS. However it's an organisation that already had its fair share of problems anyway.

Recently it took me 3 weeks to get a result from my tests, even though they said it would be within 10 days. The form I got had a tick-box option to get the results by mail, then it turns out "we don't do that any more" as I later found out over the phone. Fucking Christ. And their texting service was down for the last 3 weeks apparently, which is why I got nothing.

Whereabouts in UK do you live, btw? If it's London I'm not surprised.

I have to give them some credit... in the end I was seen and treated within 2 hours which in hindsight is pretty good still and the doc was amazing.

I just wish they had more appointment slots available. They seem to focus everything in under 25s rather than us deviant pigs.

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah my clinic does 1 late clinic a week that I can get to without having to take time off work. You have to phone a week in advance for the appts for it and you have to phone as soon as the phonelines open otherwise you miss out!

Find this being a more and more common occurrence with GUM clinics (and GP appts too) but once at the clinic, can't fault the staff at all!

appointment slots are more for people that have special needs as such and most people prefer drop in which depending the time  can be very quick.

It is nothing to do with funding as some others are trying to claim.

Depending on location the opening hours can vary but are flexible once or twice a week tend to stay open late also if you know the issue and none of the local ones fit your time schedule you can see your local health professional at your gp practice you dont need to see a doctor