Can't take PreP for health reasons, or other

Fatbearsub

• 4 months later...

I’m a 64 year old man with no prior history of stds and I’m recently tested HIV negative. Because of my age and decreased age related kidney function plus history of kidney stones several dr’s have advised against me getting on Prep. It is a very powerful med and hard on a body let alone a 64 year old. Also, there was a concern that any damage to my kidneys could be irreversible. If I was in my 20’s 30’s, 40,s or 50’s I would get on Prep immediately, but now?

My Dr also said if i did get pozzed and started treatment immediately there are less harsh drugs available and the chances would be I would die from other causes before HIV caught up with me. So getting on Prep for me the risks outweigh the benefits. I still only bareback and accept the risk

I was on PrEP, and my history of kidney stones was never a concern for my doc. However, I did contract pancreatitis when I was on PrEP which put me in the hospital for 13 days. My doc said Truvada could have contributed to the pancreatitis and he took me off it. He has a huge HIV/Infectious Disease practice and is a huge supporter of Truvada, so it's not a gay sex phobia.  I told him I only bareback and he said "I don't care, you can't go back on PrEP."    (My adherance to it wasn't the best anyway...)

To your question ... I accept the risks. I think taking PrEP is the gateway drug to taking poz loads ... but that's just me.

I mentioned before about this people unable to take it or it causing health problem and people on here attacked me even when I stated I work in health care with these people.

It all comes down to each person and what they want to do just like when advised to not drink/smoke but people still continue to do it so you can either source PrEP and only take it when you expect encounters (not best protection but still offers something) which is risking your health but should be less risk then taking all the time.

or you can bareback with risk of contracting HIV then final one only have sex protected.

Ken some of that advise is good but the thing about the HIV medication not being harsh that is false for doctor to state yes they have come long way but even so they react different to different people and if you already have health issues then no way would they be pleasant to take (people that have liver/kidney problems taking any medication you need to be very careful)

A lot of people should try keto it really does help with health issues especially when it comes to liver/kidneys most doctors wont tell you this due to health care is a money maker now so the guidelines are all suited for that direction this is why medical people that was against some medications have suddenly switch to approving it due to $$$ they get from it.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

I was worried I could not go onto PreP but speaking to the staff at the local clinic, they were confident there would not be a negative issue with the other meds I take. Before going onto PreP I was careful with who I let BB me. Until I got so turned on by one guy he fucked me bare and came in me> He was a full time active gay top, and I was concerned I might regret it. But I am still HIV -ve.