Reveaking medication to strangers

BB4fking

Since I went on PrEP I’ve become a little more self conscious when asked what medications I’m on. It’s not all that frequent but happened several times recently. I guess I’m conscious both that Truvada is used not just for PrEP but for HIV treatment (and PEP) and also PrEP itself isn’t so well known. Just giving the name of the drug may not suffice as it might be assumed that I’m on treatment for an infection which may mislead a treatment provider. I was asked by a dentist recently and felt compelled to give a little explanation about PrEP in the presence of her assistant. No problems and all very pleasant and professional but not quite expected by them or me. I could imagine some closeted guys simply not revealing the medication but I’m always straight up with healthcare providers.

More interestingly perhaps I had an accident on my bike last night. I was helped to the side of the busy road and laid out on the pavement before the ambulance arrived. A group of about 5 very kind strangers stayed with me while waiting first for my partner to come and later the ambulance. Amongst the strangers was fortuitously a doctor and, though I didn’t realise it at the time, also a guy on his way home from the emergency department of the hospital I was shortly to head to! (Also present the guy I’d collided with and a young woman who wanted to share her bottle of water - I almost cried at the kindness of strangers!) Anyway, the health professionals asked me about medications and once ago I needed to explain about Truvada, this time also in the presence of members of the public. I was asked again three times when at the hospital- this time the doctor mishearing PEP for PrEP requiring clarification.

Anyway, these cases slightly reminded me of earlier time years ago when coming out or mentioning that your partner was the same sex or the notion or fear of risk of HIV arose in the context of healthcare. However the comparison with the past was only fleeting and I was pleased at how those old stigmas have disappeared in my country. While PrEP itself may be unfamiliar in the general community I felt no embarrassment on my part or these various professionals or bystanders at these revelations either of the medication or the gay partner.

i hope other people’s experiences have been as positive.

Edited by BB4fking
Missed a word out
  • Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Memphian

I actually see a doctor at a women's health clinic  for PrEP.  Some place affiliated with Planned Parenthood.  I've debated about telling my other doctors about it because I'm not out as Bi.  (Silly I know.)  I was at my regular doctor's office for a sinus infection a couple of months ago and updated all my medicines for their file but didn't mention the PrEP.

When the nurse was taking my vitals and whatnot, she's looking at the computer and discussing my medications and she asks, "And are you still taking the Truvada?"  So of course I said yes.  I guess they have access to my pharmacy history or something.  It surprised me but I suppose it's a good thing because they really do need a complete history on patients so I need to get over my issues.

I can completely understand wanting to clarify why you're taking it -- I was in much the same boat when I started -- but in a clinical or hospital environment, your healthcare providers should need to know is that (a) you're still taking it, and (b) at this time, you are not HIV-positive. 

If you're in an environment where they may not know -- even if they should-- such as a dentist's office or eye care provider,  then my personal choice had been to say something along the lines of it being a prophylactic prescription for sexual health.

As to knowing which medications you're on, that's tied to whether your healthcare providers such as primary care physicians, hospitals, and surgeons are in same medical group (such as Kaiser Permanente) or, if they are not, whether or not you signed intake paperwork saying your current provider(s) could access your medical chart from other locations / groups / practices.

And I know my experiences aren't/won't be the same as yours, but I hope I've helped to ease your mind at least a little bit. 

Edited by rawloadstaken
Remove duplicate paragraphs
  • Upvote 1