Syphilis - Is there a legal reporting requirement where you live?

Guest PozGoat

Guest PozGoat

I live in Illinois, USA. The state requires by law that doctors must report new syph cases to the county govt when diagnosed. My understanding is that this is pretty much the case in every state.

Just curious? Has your doctor ever told you of a syph reporting requirement to any local govt agency or any govt agency?

I've been contacted by county health officials in the past but ignored them due to the fact that I was always moving due to work etc.

Just curious if others have experienced this?

Edited by PozGoat

• Moderators

Yeah, I went through that when I was diagnosed 5 years ago in Louisiana. I told them I had no contact information for sex partners which was mostly true. I told a couple of fuck buddies personally. 

I think every state does that. Florida does that and I went through it in 2012. I just said that I will contact one sex partner myself to shut them up. Lucky for him, I didn’t pass syphilis on to him. I got it from an older guy who couldn’t get me off and failed to tell me when me and him met. Stupid of me to delete the number of the one passing it. By the way, the health department called a month later for an update :(

I had Gono twice. Both times I knew they had it. The second time I was driving a delivery truck for work. I stopped in the clinic, squeezed out some cheese, got the shot. They said stay there 30 minutes. I waited for them to come out and look to see if I was still there then hauled ass. It was anonymous at that time. There were about 20 guys there and all hot.

Edited by Pozlover1

Guest bukkakio

May work in a different way over here in Europe, I wasn't required to provide contact info of any kind before getting my shot. My doctor mentioned a running syphilis epidemic all over the continent by the way.

• 1 month later...
Guest nelly26

All states require it.  Some private PCP's don't report it but clinics must (this is why you should try to always go to a PCP for STD checks). Not sure why however. Very strange.  I've had it before and feel like I'm on some random list somewhere. 

Edited by nelly26

• 1 month later...
Guest BBBoyfromTN

All three of the states I've lived in (Tennessee, Georgia, and Texas) have legal requirements to report syphilis, but it's dependent of the health care provider to report it and the penalties vary. If you're being treated at a county clinic they take it pretty seriously and do try to contact your sex partners. If it's a private physician most just treat the STD; anything beyond that varies. There are other private groups that offer testing and treatment that likewise offer anonymity and confidentiality and it isn't reported. I've tended to stick to those as it's nobody's business but my own that I've had an STD. If I know the guys I've been with lately I'll let them know to get tested, but honestly, most of what I do is anon, so I don't know them.

• 2 weeks later...

In most cases the lab is the one that reports it, not the healthcare provider. Some health departments don't call people routinely, they just collect the data and monitor to make sure others are doing their job correctly. 

• 2 years later...

It’s a ridiculous system. If I understand the law correctly they are required to report a positive test. Once you have had syphilis you will always test positive and they have to dig deeper into the testing to determine if it is a new infection. So old, cured infections are still are being reported which is a waste of time and helps no one. Probably skews statistics as well. 

As far as I know, there's no requirement for syf cases to be reported here. Pregnant women are often tested, because of protection for the baby.

When tested at the sex-healthcare centra there is a possibility to use an anonymous way to warn your partners for any STD that might pop up. You get a code, fill in the data online (just contact info) and they will receive a text-message or e-mail.

On 12/2/2021 at 9:45 AM, Treehugger said:

It’s a ridiculous system. If I understand the law correctly they are required to report a positive test. Once you have had syphilis you will always test positive and they have to dig deeper into the testing to determine if it is a new infection. So old, cured infections are still are being reported which is a waste of time and helps no one. Probably skews statistics as well. 

I had syph years ago. When I am doing the STI panel, I simply tell the testing clinician that they will find a low titer score on the syph test.  I have never had a problem with them treating it like it was a new infection and wanting contact info.  I don't believe that it is reported as I have not received any follow up from the state health department.

In Pennsylvania they do. I had early stage syphilis last year, I had the bloches on my skin, I thought it was pityriasis rosea which is something I had in the past. I was raw dogging hookers like crazy at the time and taking loads from randos so God knows where I got it.. Anyway I went to the doc for a full std screening and sure enough they called me the next day to tell me to come in. Long story short, yes they automatically report, I received a call from the county health department and they asked me some questions. 

11 hours ago, FelchingPisser said:

I had syph years ago. When I am doing the STI panel, I simply tell the testing clinician that they will find a low titer score on the syph test.  I have never had a problem with them treating it like it was a new infection and wanting contact info.  I don't believe that it is reported as I have not received any follow up from the state health department.

I am in the same situation but was told by the nurse since my lastest siph test came up positive (as it always does) she was required to report it to the health department even though it was an old infection. They didn’t pester me about contacts and who knows if she knew what she was talking about.