Syphilis - Is there a legal reporting requirement where you live?

Guest PozGoat

3 hours ago, Treehugger said:

I am in the same situation but was told by the nurse since my lastest siph test came up positive (as it always does) she was required to report it to the health department even though it was an old infection. They didn’t pester me about contacts and who knows if she knew what she was talking about. 

I also has syph once, years ago and still, when doing my 3 monthly std checks it still returns positive for syph. Does this require any additional treatment? 

Not unless your titer goes up.  When you are initially diagnosed and treated, you will have a high titer level, such as 1:128, following successful treatment, this will begin to drop.  Over a 6-12 month period, a four-fold drop is generally expected (so 1:128 goes down to 1:32), and it  continues to decline, slowly, for they years to come.  If your titer level suddenly went up, such as going from 1:10 -> 1:64, that indicated reinfection.  It is also possible for the initial treatment to fail, with a similar indicator.

TLDR: As long as the numbers continue a downward trend, no further treatment is generally required.  If they start to rebound, however, then you get to look forward to another round of overly large shots of penicillin g procaine.  If you get tested at the same facility each time, they will have your previous results and will make sure everything is OK.  If you go to a new place, you may need to let them know that you previously had it, and low-level titers are expected.

I hope this answers your question satisfactorily.

39 minutes ago, Twinkles1983 said:

I also has syph once, years ago and still, when doing my 3 monthly std checks it still returns positive for syph. Does this require any additional treatment? 

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, TexasBbCub said:

Not unless your titer goes up.  When you are initially diagnosed and treated, you will have a high titer level, such as 1:128, following successful treatment, this will begin to drop.  Over a 6-12 month period, a four-fold drop is generally expected (so 1:128 goes down to 1:32), and it  continues to decline, slowly, for they years to come.  If your titer level suddenly went up, such as going from 1:10 -> 1:64, that indicated reinfection.  It is also possible for the initial treatment to fail, with a similar indicator.

TLDR: As long as the numbers continue a downward trend, no further treatment is generally required.  If they start to rebound, however, then you get to look forward to another round of overly large shots of penicillin g procaine.  If you get tested at the same facility each time, they will have your previous results and will make sure everything is OK.  If you go to a new place, you may need to let them know that you previously had it, and low-level titers are expected.

I hope this answers your question satisfactorily.

It does. Thanks 😻