Taking a month’s pause from PrEP?

BB4fking

I recently had an accident on my cycle and it was immediately clear that I wasn’t going to be active for a while with my severe ankle sprain  - I had to immediately cancel a two week holiday in Japan which was due to start 4 days later (dammit I was really looking forward to some hot sessions at the famous Tokyo 24 Kaikan - hoping more Japanese guys and taken up barebacking since I was there 2 years ago). I,ve been on daily PrEP for a couple of years now initially having bought it online on prescription but for the last 18 months on a medical research trial due to run for another 6 months (during which the Truvada is free). As I was on a sponsored trial that requires me to take a dose every day I have continued to do so even though it was obvious I wasn’t going to be fucking around at my local cruise club as I usually would every week. It got me to thinking though - this was a case where I knew I’d be having no sex for at least 5 weeks - in such a case I guess it would be safe to stop taking the pills for 4 weeks and then restart for at least a week to get the medication back in the system before hooking up. Is that what other guys on PrEP would do if they ‘knew’ there was no chance of sex for a month?

On 10/12/2018 at 4:11 AM, BB4fking said:

I recently had an accident on my cycle and it was immediately clear that I wasn’t going to be active for a while with my severe ankle sprain  - I had to immediately cancel a two week holiday in Japan which was due to start 4 days later (dammit I was really looking forward to some hot sessions at the famous Tokyo 24 Kaikan - hoping more Japanese guys and taken up barebacking since I was there 2 years ago). I,ve been on daily PrEP for a couple of years now initially having bought it online on prescription but for the last 18 months on a medical research trial due to run for another 6 months (during which the Truvada is free). As I was on a sponsored trial that requires me to take a dose every day I have continued to do so even though it was obvious I wasn’t going to be fucking around at my local cruise club as I usually would every week. It got me to thinking though - this was a case where I knew I’d be having no sex for at least 5 weeks - in such a case I guess it would be safe to stop taking the pills for 4 weeks and then restart for at least a week to get the medication back in the system before hooking up. Is that what other guys on PrEP would do if they ‘knew’ there was no chance of sex for a month?

Current street recommendations are to take it 7 days after last event to get off from it. At the beginning of PrEP people were suggesting full 4 weeks, like PEP, but with the new efficacy data of on demand PrEP, where it's taken only for 2 days after, it's clear that 4 weeks is overkill. Thus most folks these days go for 7 days to get off.

To get back in, even just 2 doses hours before sex is highly effective, on demand PrEP uses this. But we can measure that maximum rates of truvada in the bum peak after 7 days of daily dosage, so if you want to be more conservative 7 day lead in is the right thing to do. 

• Upvote 1