Tattoos and meanings

ObligingBottom

Hi everyone,

I have no tattoos. I have been thinking about getting a tattoo or three for the last several years.

My freaking puritanical Jesus-loving Mom got a tattoo before I did.

Anyway: I need some inspiration about tattoos to get. I don’t want huge tattoos but I do want significant (as in impactful) tattoos.

I’d like to get the following:

1. A tattoo indicating I’m a bottom — I was thinking the triangle symbol that defines the gay movement but pointing downwards to indicate bottom, but I’m open to better ideas. Location: not sure.
  2. A semi-colon which indicates depression — on my left wrist in Helvetica font, smallish
  3. A tattoo for depersonalization — I suffered this for about 4 years and am in remission at the moment. Not sure what design it would entail so I’m open to ideas. Location: not sure.

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions they can give me (within reason) about these?

Totally appreciate your response in advance.

Thanks!

Edited by ObligingBottom

22 minutes ago, ObligingBottom said:

Hi everyone,

I have no tattoos. I have been thinking about getting a tattoo or three for the last several years.

My freaking puritanical Jesus-loving Mom got a tattoo before I did.

Anyway: I need some inspiration about tattoos to get. I don’t want huge tattoos but I do want significant (as in impactful) tattoos.

I’d like to get the following:

1. A tattoo indicating I’m a bottom — I was thinking the triangle symbol that defines the gay movement but pointing downwards to indicate bottom, but I’m open to better ideas. Location: not sure.
  2. A semi-colon which indicates depression — on my left wrist in Helvetica font, smallish
  3. A tattoo for depersonalization — I suffered this for about 4 years and am in remission at the moment. Not sure what design it would entail so I’m open to ideas. Location: not sure.

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions they can give me (within reason) about these?

Totally appreciate your response in advance.

Thanks!

All the various triangles sewed onto German concentration camp residents’ uniforms pointed down.

I don’t know who turned them upside down in our use today

The semicolon refers to a suicide attempt.

Edited by Pozlover1

If you understand that a hard table top is really just atoms with more space than material

if you understand that the narrow spectrum we see is not all that’s out there

if you understand that the Spiritual World is the REAL one and the one we live in is imaginary,

I’m not so sure depersonalization is a bad thing....

Just now, Pozlover1 said:

If you understand that a hard table top is really just atoms with more space than material

if you understand that the narrow spectrum we see is not all that’s out there

if you understand that the Spiritual World is the REAL one and the one we live in is imaginary,

I’m not so sure depersonalization is a bad thing....

Thanks for your response.

I’m looking for inspiration for a tattoo design to remind me I survived it.

It was a horrible thing to go through, and I never want to go through it again. 

I have fought tooth and nail to recover from it.

Using your own words: If you understand that emotion is what connects you to yourself and to others in this world, how could you live without connections to your emotions?

I appreciate emotions but I try not to let them override practicality. 

An example would be an occasional sex partner that you don’t really trust so you don’t leave valuables laying around and don’t believe anything they say. I can still appreciate them as a person if I don’t have unrealistic expectations. Are you using him or is he using you? I don’t care, my self worth comes from inside not outside

Just now, Pozlover1 said:

I appreciate emotions but I try not to let them override practicality. 

An example would be an occasional sex partner that you don’t really trust so you don’t leave valuables laying around and don’t believe anything they say. I can still appreciate them as a person if I don’t have unrealistic expectations. Are you using him or is he using you? I don’t care, my self worth comes from inside not outside

Depersonalization is literally the separation of emotion from a person. I could laugh and not feel anything. That’s what I went through for years. Feeling pretty much nothing.

I just want a tattoo that can remind me I never want to go back there again.

1 hour ago, ObligingBottom said:

Depersonalization is literally the separation of emotion from a person. I could laugh and not feel anything. That’s what I went through for years. Feeling pretty much nothing.

I just want a tattoo that can remind me I never want to go back there again.

I just googled Depersonalization Disorder Symbol.

it’s like an S sorta with “I am real” and “I am safe” 

37 minutes ago, Leather69 said:

I don't know whether this is appropriate.. but perhaps a pussy cat with claws out.. and the text "I'm here" to indicate that no matter what... I'm going to be around..

Very very very interesting!

I have a cat — her nickname is Sissy, somewhat ironically — and before I go to bed, she bites me and also puts her claws out slightly to try to draw my arm back into petting her. So there’d be multiple meanings to that sort of tattoo; not only the “I’m here” thing but also the ideology of how a cat shows her master affection.

That’s a great idea @Leather69 — Thanks! :)

• Upvote 1