Oraquick and false positives

GiveItAChance

Hello!

so it might have happened...I did my oraquick test yesterday and it read positive! It was a shock to see two lines (positive) instead of just one(negative). I was wondering if anyone has ever experienced a “false positive” result on oraquick before?  According to oraquick’s own website the odds are very slim but it does state: 

A false positive is when an HIV test shows that a person has HIV when they don't actually have it. 

Conditions that can lead to a false positive HIV test are: 

* Lyme disease, 
* syphilis (SIF-uh-lus), 
* lupus, and 
* other conditions.

A couple of months ago I did test positive for syphilis and was treated for it  but, oraquick’s own website says it could trigger a HIV false positive on their own test. Anyone have any thoughts on this? Heard of anything on false positives? 

Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/10/2018 at 4:51 PM, barecub85 said:

False positives are pretty rare, but either way you need a blood test from your doctor to confirm the result.

On the other hand false positive results for syph are quite common. I often come up as positive until they retest. Off topic I know but might be useful to some

22 hours ago, JamesD50 said:

On the other hand false positive results for syph are quite common. I often come up as positive until they retest. Off topic I know but might be useful to some

I think what you’re referring to is a serofast reaction. The usual blood test for syphilis looks at antibodies your body makes when you’re infected with syphilis - and those antibodies often persist in the bloodstream for some time after an active infection is treated. So it’s not necessarily a true “false positive” - you *did* have syphilis at one point, and there are just leftover antibodies circulating.

There are also several other diseases and conditions (including autoimmune diseases like lupus and rheumatoid arthritis, or other diseases caused by bacteria similar to syphilis, such as Lyme disease) that can cause the test to be positive for the type of antibodies that occur with syphilis - in this case, although the test isn’t necessarily a “false positive” for the antibody, it is not a true positive for syphilis.

• Upvote 1

• 5 months later...
Guest BBBoyfromTN

I only know I’m poz from Oraquick so this is making me rethink if I’m really poz or not. Dunno how I’d feel if I discovered I wasn’t really poz.

Guest Omnivore
7 hours ago, BBBoyfromTN said:

I only know I’m poz from Oraquick so this is making me rethink if I’m really poz or not. Dunno how I’d feel if I discovered I wasn’t really poz.

Considering how active you are (from your stories on here), it would be a surprise if you weren't poz.

• 3 months later...
Guest FinalDL2021
On 11/10/2018 at 1:53 AM, GiveItAChance said:

Hello!

so it might have happened...I did my oraquick test yesterday and it read positive! It was a shock to see two lines (positive) instead of just one(negative). I was wondering if anyone has ever experienced a “false positive” result on oraquick before?  According to oraquick’s own website the odds are very slim but it does state: 

A false positive is when an HIV test shows that a person has HIV when they don't actually have it. 

Conditions that can lead to a false positive HIV test are: 

* Lyme disease, 
* syphilis (SIF-uh-lus), 
* lupus, and 
* other conditions.

A couple of months ago I did test positive for syphilis and was treated for it  but, oraquick’s own website says it could trigger a HIV false positive on their own test. Anyone have any thoughts on this? Heard of anything on false positives? 

Thanks!

So if you have not been exposed to any of the above mentioned, your chances of getting a false Positive are slim? I would like to test more frequently, since I am more sexually active now that I live in the SF Bay Area; I don't want to be going to the clinic every week.

Guest FinalDL2021
1 hour ago, Pozlover1 said:

I’m not a Doctor but as I understand it you will FOREVER test Positive for Syphillis antibodies. Possibly the Oraquick reads them as HIV antibodies

I haven't been exposed to syphilis yet, at least that I am aware of.

• 5 weeks later...
Guest FinalDL2021

Another thing that came to mind, is I have a friend (FB) that I will be spending this weekend with, he is undetectable; could even a small-minute amount of HIV trigger a false positive with an Oraquick test? 

• 4 weeks later...
Guest SecretCumWhore

I’m pretty sure I caught syphillis for the first time, took an oraquick (correctly) no eating or drinking 30 mins prior and hiv test was negative. Didn’t have any false positive.  However if the box states this, it must have come up in the studies and even verified that they were indeed negative for hiv but previously positive for syphillis 

Still waiting on the syphillis lab results.  Don’t come in until next week. Not a fan of waiting as my body feels off. Lose sexual appetite and don’t feel 100%.   

Edited by SecretCumWhore

Guest SecretCumWhore

Stage 1 of syphillis is similar to many other things. Stage 2 is red dots around your entire body (small red dots in all areas, random, and may not itch at first but as they increase it will). Muscle fatigue and you’re tired a lot even with caffeine.  Stage 3 is very dangerous to your organs, heart, and brain. With truvada or any hiv meds it’s important to do blood checkups as well 

• Moderators

One of the dead giveaways for Stage 2 is if the rash of red dots extends to the palms of your hands. When I had Stage 2 a few years back, my doctor told me that syphilis is just about the only thing that will give you a rash on your palms.