I'm Not a Bot/ Can't follow any site Links

Kayne

What gives? every tim I click a link to a partner site from here on Android i get rhe following page. What am I doing wrong, and how do I fix it?

"Bots are not allowed to access this URL. Please follow the directives in our robots.txt file.

Sorry you encountered an error. Details about this error have been written to our logs and will be reviewed to make sure it doesn't happen to other users."

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators
On 11/20/2018 at 6:27 AM, Kayne said:

What gives? every tim I click a link to a partner site from here on Android i get rhe following page. What am I doing wrong, and how do I fix it?

"Bots are not allowed to access this URL. Please follow the directives in our robots.txt file.

Sorry you encountered an error. Details about this error have been written to our logs and will be reviewed to make sure it doesn't happen to other users."

On 12/3/2018 at 8:49 PM, DarkroomTaker said:

Bots are not allowed to access this URL. Please follow the directives in our robots.txt file.

Me too.

Late last month I installed reCAPTCHA v3 on the new sites I'm developing. All the links go through a script on the new sites, which is why you're encountering the problem with links. Then about a week later I installed it here, but it has a different function here. Let me back up and explain… reCAPTCHA v3 never actually shows you a CAPTCHA. The idea is that it monitors your activity on the site to see if you're doing things that seem suspicious. It's looking for patterns of behavior that a bot would make that a human wouldn't make. It then combines that with what Google knows about your IP (reCAPTCHA is a Google service), and probably some other details, and then gives me a score back whenever I ask for it. So installing it here lets Google see your pattern of behavior and should help them figure out you're human.

According to reCAPTCHA, about 40% of the traffic on my sites is bot traffic. Clearly some of the traffic they label as bot is human, which is why you're complaining. The issue is that bots were throwing off my stats, and another webmaster I know actually had some of his sponsors close his accounts because the bots were using his outbound links to find sites to test stolen credit cards.

I need to think about what to do. One option is to give you a reCAPTCHA v2 challenge (the "I'm not a bot" things you're probably familiar with). It will be a few days before I get around to doing something. I possibly won't get to it until after the holidays.

And just for reference… Men.com is also using reCAPTCHA v3 for logins, though they do revert to v2 when it says you're a bot. Guess I'll need to do the same, unless I think up something else.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Administrators

I'm just wondering if any of you are still having this problem? Looking at my daily stats, the % of bots dropped from being regularly around 40% to ~10% about 10 days or 2 weeks ago. I suspect it took Google that long to figure out what "normal" looked like for my sites. Now that it know what normal humans do, it's finding less suspicious activity, which, if true, means fewer of you would be blocked when trying to go to sponsor sites.

I should also mention that I checked the code and my code was only blocking people who were rated as the most suspicious. Google's rating scale goes from 0 to 1 with 0.1 meaning "almost certainly a bot". Those were the only folks I was blocking.

Given that no one else has posted in the thread I'm assuming the problem solved itself. If that's not the case, please let me know.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy, and Guidelines. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.