Possible TOS violation.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Administrators

I've reviewed the thread and discussed my thoughts with moderators (e.g. @drscorpio). The thread has merit for a couple of reasons…

First, there's at least one person in the thread who commented that they found it reassuring that it didn't just happen to them. It can be really isolating and personally devastating if you think you're the only one who got (or is getting) molested. It's empowering when guys realize that quite a few others went through similar experiences. When I was in college the gay men's support group I was in had a high percentage of guys who'd been molested (about half as I remember). It's a topic the gay community needs to discuss frankly and honestly.

Second, the thread challenges the black and white way that most people see child molestation. There are guys in the thread who were devastated by the molestation, and on the opposite side of the spectrum, guys who sought it out and enjoyed it (at which point it's only molestation in a technical legal sense), and there were plenty of guys in the middle as well who had a combination of both experiences – or were just generally rattled by the experience. For these guys it made them see their bodies and their sexuality in a different light. Whether that's good or bad is for them and their psychologist to figure out. But the point is that this isn't a black and white issue. IMHO, it's really bad that our laws are so rigid in how they see things.

But generally the thread keeps to only presenting the perspectives of "victims" (even if they were willing victims). It gives no voice to the "abusers", which is totally in line with the TOS I've set up for the site.

• Upvote 1

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy, and Guidelines. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.