Should I go off prep?

wood

So #1, I don’t want hiv, so let’s make that clear now. But here’s the rest of my story. I’ve been on prep since July 2012, prep came out in April 2012, so suffice to say I was one of the first in the country to be on it. In that time I was a huge hoe for a while. However life changes and now I’m with a guy who is neg on prep himself. 98% of the time we only fuck each other and the 2% where we play with others it’s undetectable guys or others on prep. 

I don’t have any side effects from truvada but at this point I don’t really need it either. Frankly I’m pretty lucky that the sex with my guy is better than almost any other sex I have. We are both Vers and get and give what we want. My main reason for possibly taking a break is just to give my body a break from medication I don’t really need. I still have plenty on hand as well so if a sex party or something comes up I could easily do on demand dosing.  I trust my guy sexually and we are very open and honest with each other but I also know that can change. However I also know he isn’t planning on stopping prep anytime soon. So what are your guys thoughts? 

• Upvote 1

Guest BBBoyfromTN

Stay on Prep. You never know when some unexpected fun might come up and the last thing you want to do is have to wrap to enjoy it. I have a bud who's been on Prep two years and just recently had to stop as his bloodwork showed possible kidney issues. He turned into a total slut with Prep and wound up having to have very uncomfortable conversations with regular fuck buds and was stunned to find out many of them lied about being neg and genuinely didn't really know their statuses. Some guys had also lied to him about being on Prep and didn't know their statuses either. As he said, he was playing Russian Roulette with a bullet in every chamber and didn't know it. He also found it hard to modify his behavior and ask guys to wrap or pull out to cum. He's let a few really hot guys fuck him raw and cum inside him even though he knows he shouldn't have. Old habits are incredibly hard to break, and if you're high or drunk you could forget you're not on Prep all of the sudden. When Prep first came out I was approached by a group giving it away to at-risk sexually active HS teens. I wished I'd have taken it as maybe I might not have pozzed. If you have the means to stay on Prep you really should!

• 8 months later...
Guest CuriousDallas

Stay on Prep. You never know what can come up. I’ve travelled twice since going on Prep and forgot my meds both times. The first was only four days where I didn’t take it and the second was also four days. Im sure I was covered even after four days but was nervous barebacking that last day. I’ve got an HIV test coming up in October so we’ll see

On 9/14/2019 at 10:23 AM, CuriousDallas said:

Stay on Prep. You never know what can come up. I’ve travelled twice since going on Prep and forgot my meds both times. The first was only four days where I didn’t take it and the second was also four days. Im sure I was covered even after four days but was nervous barebacking that last day. I’ve got an HIV test coming up in October so we’ll see

I did.  

It would have been a silly decision to stop and my partner and I have had a few partners together since then, so it makes sense that we both take it.