Throwing your life away for miss Tina - Addiction Issues

Truversebb

Yes I’ve been around people that did it, more like “poor man’s coke” than for sex. Some great people but they absolutely will not stop. 

I’m old enough to remember 714’s. That won’t kill you unless you try to drive LOL and it just makes people more affectionate, not more raunchy. 

If I had to sum up how I felt about the guys in our community that make the choice to start using I keep coming back to one strong feeling. And it’s one that some may object to due to it dumping a level of responsibility that they don’t think is fair. I’d like your feelings on what I’m about to say. THE USE OF METH IS AN ACT OF TREASON TO OUR COMMUNITY. 

30 minutes ago, Truversebb said:

If I had to sum up how I felt about the guys in our community that make the choice to start using I keep coming back to one strong feeling. And it’s one that some may object to due to it dumping a level of responsibility that they don’t think is fair. I’d like your feelings on what I’m about to say. THE USE OF METH IS AN ACT OF TREASON TO OUR COMMUNITY. 

For me, the word "treason" suggests betrayal; it also has some moral undertones in my hearing. i may be pretty sensitized to that sort of thing because i came from (out of) a conservative religious culture.  It's not a word i would use.

As a healthcare provider, i see (and care for) people when meth goes wrong.  People who need heart transplants (but rarely qualify) because meth use fucked theirs up. Most come in with altered mental status (AMS). AMS can run the gamut from catatonic to, often, violently irrational.  They are some of the most difficult patients to care for, they usually require 1:1 care because, in their altered state, they are often a danger to their self and others.  They may exist, but i have never cared for a meth patient who was not self absorbed and unreasonable.  Even when they are dying, they want to party.  When doing a psychological assessment,  many (most) meth patients end up regressed to toddler stage of development and they throw tantrums to try and get what they want.  They're not fun people to be around, let alone try to care for. 

Rationally speaking, about 85% of the people i care for are there because of lifestyle choices, and i'm being generous, the number is probably higher.  It's hard for me to moralize about meth patients making a choice and not include the other 85% who made choices that affected their health, but are socially acceptable. Most of the diseases i deal with in critical care are caused by diet.  Heart disease, the number one cause of death in most countries, is mostly preventable. Too much Applebees, KFC, McDonalds, Lays potato chips, steak, ice cream, bacon,  etc. etc. etc.. lol  

my point is, i can rationally argue (with study evidence to support my contention) that most of us make choices that have deleterious individual and social results.  Which is not to suggest that i think it's okeedokee to use meth, i don't.  But i do know that the reasons we (all) make choices can be very complex.  Some choices make better sense than others. E.g., while pizza can kill you, it takes longer than meth does to kill your heart or brain.  

my inclination is to try and help people understand the consequences such choices can have without leveling moral judgement (not saying you are doing this). i have found the best thing is to find alternative choices to replace the more damaging ones.  We all want pleasure, but some pleasure choices are more costly and short lived than others... so the idea is to try to find things to fill that space/need/want that are healthier for the individual, and by extension, the community. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, tallslenderguy said:

For me, the word "treason" suggests betrayal; it also has some moral undertones in my hearing. i may be pretty sensitized to that sort of thing because i came from (out of) a conservative religious culture.  It's not a word i would use.

As a healthcare provider, i see (and care for) people when meth goes wrong.  People who need heart transplants (but rarely qualify) because meth use fucked theirs up. Most come in with altered mental status (AMS). AMS can run the gamut from catatonic to, often, violently irrational.  They are some of the most difficult patients to care for, they usually require 1:1 care because, in their altered state, they are often a danger to their self and others.  They may exist, but i have never cared for a meth patient who was not self absorbed and unreasonable.  Even when they are dying, they want to party.  When doing a psychological assessment,  many (most) meth patients end up regressed to toddler stage of development and they throw tantrums to try and get what they want.  They're not fun people to be around, let alone try to care for. 

Rationally speaking, about 85% of the people i care for are there because of lifestyle choices, and i'm being generous, the number is probably higher.  It's hard for me to moralize about meth patients making a choice and not include the other 85% who made choices that affected their health, but are socially acceptable. Most of the diseases i deal with in critical care are caused by diet.  Heart disease, the number one cause of death in most countries, is mostly preventable. Too much Applebees, KFC, McDonalds, Lays potato chips, steak, ice cream, bacon,  etc. etc. etc.. lol  

my point is, i can rationally argue (with study evidence to support my contention) that most of us make choices that have deleterious individual and social results.  Which is not to suggest that i think it's okeedokee to use meth, i don't.  But i do know that the reasons we (all) make choices can be very complex.  Some choices make better sense than others. E.g., while pizza can kill you, it takes longer than meth does to kill your heart or brain.  

my inclination is to try and help people understand the consequences such choices can have without leveling moral judgement (not saying you are doing this). i have found the best thing is to find alternative choices to replace the more damaging ones.  We all want pleasure, but some pleasure choices are more costly and short lived than others... so the idea is to try to find things to fill that space/need/want that are healthier for the individual, and by extension, the community. 

Very well laid out.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/27/2018 at 8:31 AM, submissivebottom74 said:

Being an addict in recovery, it is the wiring of the brain. You truly have to understand addiction to understand an addict. For myself, it was not a choice the first time, as it was put into KY jelly without my knowledge or permission. After that, I was hooked. Yes, I am one of those people who threw my life away. A master's degree in education, 20+ years of teaching, all lost to her. But I could not stop, it took my family forcing me to move back with them and our village to make sure I was kept busy. If it weren't for that I would be dead. But again, it took a lot of love and patience, and I know I have received the biggest gift in the world.

It's nice to hear some people still had people that cared. I've become resigned to fact that I'm going to die and there's no way out.

• 2 months later...