PrEP and Sex Drive

pupCakes

On 8/4/2020 at 1:44 AM, Hintyt said:

It’s widely reported that sex lives steeply decline after starting prep.   

Can you point me to the research you're referring to here? I can't find anything in my searches so far...

Going on PrEP a few years ago brought out the inner pig and slut in me after far too long without being so.  Never found any problem with it.  But this COVID thing has seemingly sapped my libido and packed far too many pounds on here.  I was a pig before, but now I fear I'm a hog!  😞

On 1/6/2019 at 3:06 PM, pupCakes said:

Has anyone found that taking PrEP reduces their sex drive? About a week after I went off PrEP, just long enough for it to get out of my system I think, my sex drive sky rocketed. 

That sounds like a promotional ad for this website.

I went off PrEP for 8 weeks over lockdown but am back on daily prep for over 2 months now. My sex drive has remained constant throughout although it may not be a great experiment as I had no access to bareback sex during lockdown, only with myself.

Actually the other liberating effect of PrEP is my willingness to fuck with POZ guys. Previously I had notionally to treat everyone as a risk and use condoms or decline to fuck. I never asked people or knew what their HIV status was but suspect I’d have avoided sex if I knew someone was positive. Now I still don’t ask guys their status but sometimes I see it on a profile especially on BBRTS and I willingly fuck with them raw. In terms of sex drive this increases the opportunities for sex and reduces the stress. But it is also liberating in an emotion political sense somehow, one never wanted to shun people consciously but the risk of infection caused an almost instinctual drawing back, it seems that PrEP more than condoms helps restore solidarity and casual intimacy between gay men, or at least in my case. Prior to PrEP I never knowingly allowed an HIV+ guy to fuck me (they may well have done so, statistically it’s likely) subsequently it’s an unremarked common occurrence.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

I haven’t noticed any change in my sex drive since taking prep. What I have noticed is less inhibition, though that is more psychological than physiological. In recent weeks I’ve been taking 4-5 loads a day, at least 3 days a week (I set up my own GH] and it’s been amazing. The prep hasn’t diminished anything.

• 2 months later...
On 8/15/2020 at 11:39 PM, BB4fking said:

I went off PrEP for 8 weeks over lockdown but am back on daily prep for over 2 months now. My sex drive has remained constant throughout although it may not be a great experiment as I had no access to bareback sex during lockdown, only with myself.

Actually the other liberating effect of PrEP is my willingness to fuck with POZ guys. Previously I had notionally to treat everyone as a risk and use condoms or decline to fuck. I never asked people or knew what their HIV status was but suspect I’d have avoided sex if I knew someone was positive. Now I still don’t ask guys their status but sometimes I see it on a profile especially on BBRTS and I willingly fuck with them raw. In terms of sex drive this increases the opportunities for sex and reduces the stress. But it is also liberating in an emotion political sense somehow, one never wanted to shun people consciously but the risk of infection caused an almost instinctual drawing back, it seems that PrEP more than condoms helps restore solidarity and casual intimacy between gay men, or at least in my case. Prior to PrEP I never knowingly allowed an HIV+ guy to fuck me (they may well have done so, statistically it’s likely) subsequently it’s an unremarked common occurrence.

I experienced very much the same thing as @BB4fking wrote. I was very shy in meeting guys and very rarely fucked bare, so PrEP was really a liberation for me. I never used a condom ever since and didn't ask the guys for their status neither. Furthermore, every load I receive makes me even hornier and willing to take more cum. So I didn't experience any negative effect on my sex drive at all.

• Upvote 1

My own experience has been awkward somehow. I've definitely become more self-conscious about other diseases, now that I'm aware of what a pain in the ass all the tests and treatment are. Often literally, in the case of those awfully painful shots to treat syphilis. Is this a turn off unless I know for sure the other guy is either on prep/tested recently? Yes.

My biggest annoyance is the nausea though. It's difficult to feel horny when feeling this constant lingering nausea, and the fact that I'm using it on-demand definitely doesn't help my organism getting used to it. 

1 hour ago, bluewind said:

My biggest annoyance is the nausea though. It's difficult to feel horny when feeling this constant lingering nausea, and the fact that I'm using it on-demand definitely doesn't help my organism getting used to it. 

There's no guarantee that taking it daily would resolve this, but it's not out of the question, either. If you regularly consume a particular product (and drugs being dissolved in the digestive tract count), your body may - again, MAY - develop the means to counteract the ill effects.

I develop gastro issues when I eat Lebanese food, which I like (the food, not the issues). When I'm on a kick of eating it regularly, my gut biome tends to develop whatever's needed to counteract that - but only if I eat it regularly. If I stop for 2-3 months and go get some, it's back to square one.

Something like that MAY be an issue with on-demand PrEP for you. If you can swing it, you might try 90 days of daily use and see if your body stops reacting badly.

No one seems to use condoms up here in Toronto. Everyone is either undetectable or on prep and that’s cool; but I guess no one really asks either. Pre covid we had some great sex party spaces where everyone had fun and there was zero stress about hiv. It was more if there was that connection. Before prep I was barebacking all the time, but after prep I had even more sex....

Edited by PozFetishTo
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 1 year later...
On 1/7/2019 at 7:37 AM, justsexnowatl said:

I doubt it's the actual drug, but the high risk phase you're entering has you all horned up.  I was on tried and "proven" Truvada for about 2.5 years when I decided to be part of a clinical trial for a new prep drug.  I had been vers but topping more due to supply and demand, but when I started the study I pretty much turned into a cumdump taking multiple loads at the bathhouse and sex club and private parties for the first 6 months.  The rush of not knowing about the new drug put my sex drive through the roof, and I wanted to "put it to the test".  Even though I'm not a chaser, the risk of not knowing about the new drug was hot as fuck.  I had never bottomed like I did during that initial possibly risky phase, and I fucking loved it.  The new drug is Descovy and proving to be just as effective but less side effects (bone density, kidneys), so it turns out I wasn't at much risk, but I totally surprised myself how much of a cumdump bottom I became when the potential risk started.  I swung back to being fully vers, and I'm glad since I don't wanna give up breeding hot muscle sluts like you pupcakes!! :)  

It's so sexy.

My sex drive temporarily increased after I started PrEP many years ago. It was freeing to not have to worry about condoms and fucking bare almost all the time made me realize how much ai had actually hated condoms. Also I no longer had any guilt when I fucked bare, which was the freeing part I think. But the initial rush faded and other factors took over for my sex drive ,(self image, depression, stress, etc).

I did stop PrEP for a time during COVID and did not notice any change to sex drive after stopping nor after I resumed once lock downs ended.

On 1/7/2019 at 7:37 AM, justsexnowatl said:

I doubt it's the actual drug, but the high risk phase you're entering has you all horned up.  I was on tried and "proven" Truvada for about 2.5 years when I decided to be part of a clinical trial for a new prep drug.  I had been vers but topping more due to supply and demand, but when I started the study I pretty much turned into a cumdump taking multiple loads at the bathhouse and sex club and private parties for the first 6 months.  The rush of not knowing about the new drug put my sex drive through the roof, and I wanted to "put it to the test".  Even though I'm not a chaser, the risk of not knowing about the new drug was hot as fuck.  I had never bottomed like I did during that initial possibly risky phase, and I fucking loved it.  The new drug is Descovy and proving to be just as effective but less side effects (bone density, kidneys), so it turns out I wasn't at much risk, but I totally surprised myself how much of a cumdump bottom I became when the potential risk started.  I swung back to being fully vers, and I'm glad since I don't wanna give up breeding hot muscle sluts like you pupcakes!! :)  

U are such a slut.