If another HIV like outbreak occured today would you stop barebacking.

wood

Would you stop barebacking in another deadly epidemic?   

136 members have voted

1. 1. Would you stop barebacking in another deadly epidemic?

• Yes
    • No
    • Only raw with monogamous partner

Just as the topic states.  Say today another viral outbreak occurs in the gay community and its spread by sex.  Thanks to modern science we know its deadly and can find it sooner, and test, but there is no cure, and no immediate symptoms.  Its just as contagious as HIV, meaning you may or may not get it with each sex act.  However if you do get it its almost certain you will be dead within five years.  You will watch friends and loved ones around you die, and as gay men we will probably lose another whole generation.  So the question is, do you stop barebacking? the poll is there and elaborate if you respond. 

Sidenote, try and keep the fantasy factor to a minimum, and answer in what you would really do.   

Edited by wood

While still it's not an epidemic proportional outbreak, we already have the med resistant strain of HIV CRF19 and gono, making their debut. I haven't really been keeping up on their progress and any progress on effective treatments for them though, so am not really fluent in any further information. With the CRF19, it's progression and incubation to full blown were stated elsewhere as to be from 3 to 5 yrs into full blown and termination, depending on one's immune system.

Even given that information and knowledge, I'd have to say for myself at this time, I'm not or would not turn back from barbacking at any rate, even if some more new strains and or variations of other non-treatable STD's come along. It's just too late for me to have any worries about it at this time.

4 hours ago, wood said:

Just as the topic states.  Say today another viral outbreak occurs in the gay community and its spread by sex.  Thanks to modern science we know its deadly and can find it sooner, and test, but there is no cure, and no immediate symptoms.  Its just as contagious as HIV, meaning you may or may not get it with each sex act.  However if you do get it its almost certain you will be dead within five years.  You will watch friends and loved ones around you die, and as gay men we will probably lose another whole generation.  So the question is, do you stop barebacking? the poll is there and elaborate if you respond. 

Sidenote, try and keep the fantasy factor to a minimum, and answer in what you would really do.   

Some other deadly virus is a near certainty. I have taken anon loads at ABS but my usual M.O. was always to seek out interesting people and not care about diseases. My standards might go up but it’s hard to say. 

Well, well. .What a veritable wet blanket on the party!

An epidemic with symptoms as horrible as I've seen several friends wither away from, I'd be devastated!

But maybe we'll allready reached singularity* by then, and enjoying sex we can't even dream of today.

*the hypothesis that the invention of artificial superintelligrnce (ASI) will abruptly trigger runaway technological growth rrsulting in UNFATHOMABLE changes to human civilization....

• Like 2

i was around for the first 'deadly outbreak,' it actually occurred when i first started having sex with men.  i watched my brother die from AID's, it was horribly sad and soul crushing to watch. He had already suffered enough as a gay man growing up in an era/culture of ignorance and rejection.  In spite of that, i pretty much never practiced 'safe sex' because, for me, it wasn't sex if it was contained or restricted. i tried. Hell, i was religious and married, i tried to not be gay. Didn't work, the need/drive to connect was way bigger than the threat of a gruesome and untimely death from a disease.  i don't figure any of that has changed, and i'd just be at risk again. 

• Upvote 1

Guest FinalDL2021

I have been barebacking for a year now, and can't imagine going back to condoms. I have already accepted that mind-set, that each time I take a load, anon or otherwise, it can change the outcome of my life.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest FinalDL2021
On ‎1‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 9:36 AM, Natural-bttm said:

We all have an expiration date, we just don't know when it is.  Live happy and for the moment always. 

my philosophy as well.