My first day on PrEP question

concerned1

I went to the sexual health clinic and had my PrEP impact trial consultation today - the doctor did a rapid base test for HIV which was negative and he then gave me my PrEP after we discussed everything about it. 

I've decided to take it daily and I've been given Emtricitabine/Tenofovir disoproxil. It is one tablet every day. But the doctor said for my first day I must take two tablets. I took a tablet today once I returned home from the clinic at 3pm. Two hours later at 5pm I remembered that I was supposed to take two tablets for my initial dose on my first day, so I just took the other tablet then. 

Is this ok? 

Edited by concerned1

• 1 month later...

I guess it would also depend when you first had unprotected sex after starting. I am on event dosing, so I take two tablets a minimum of 12 hours before BB anal, one on the day of intercourse, and one the following day, and have been told that is as effective as taking daily. I am an occasional bottom, mainly due to lack of opportunity.