How long for PrEP to work?

concerned1

Hi everyone. So, I've recently joined the PrEP community. I'm now taking part in the PrEP impact trial here in the UK.

Anyway...my doctor told me during my PrEP consultation that I should avoid barebacking until I've been taking the PrEP for 7 days. He said this was because it will not be effective until after 7 days. So ok....i just googled it and Google gave me a link which says it takes 20 days  for PrEP to work!! I don't know if my doctor is right or if Google is right! 

Can I start fucking raw after  7 days or do I need to wait for 20 days?

You are good to go after 7 days of daily dosing.

Tip: Get a SMTWTFS pill dispenser so you know you took your pill that day, also I have an alarm set on my phone to remind me. 

Welcome to the Truvada whore gang 

Edited by orionboy1
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Guest Memphian
On 1/20/2019 at 11:35 AM, concerned1 said:

Hi everyone. So, I've recently joined the PrEP community. I'm now taking part in the PrEP impact trial here in the UK.

Anyway...my doctor told me during my PrEP consultation that I should avoid barebacking until I've been taking the PrEP for 7 days. He said this was because it will not be effective until after 7 days. So ok....i just googled it and Google gave me a link which says it takes 20 days  for PrEP to work!! I don't know if my doctor is right or if Google is right! 

Can I start fucking raw after  7 days or do I need to wait for 20 days?

Agree with the others that seven days is fine based on what my doctor told me, and research I did back when.

1 hour ago, srider said:

7 days is more than enough time. Nurse here who works in sexual health. 

Pharmacist here, and I second the nurse. There was a trial called the IPERGAY trial that looked at the use of “on demand” PrEP. “On demand” meaning that PrEP was only taken around times of intercourse. Patients would take their first (double) dose 2-24 hours prior to sex and would only continue (with single doses) for two days after sex. Despite the short time on the drug, this still resulted in an 86% drop in seroconversion. A week of regular daily dosing is quite sufficient.

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...
Guest ff-whole

Oeps, I read somewhere here that the day before double dose and then you should be good to go...
Next day I took a nasty load in a gay bath house...
And promptly three or four weeks later I had a nasty flu. I always seem to get them after I bareback and scares the shit out of me but there was a guy coughing real close so I think it might have been him...
Now this was in december and I have been taking my Prep and the cumloads...
Two weeks ago I have gotten a itchy skin rash. Heat bubbles on my arms and hands. So I went to test my blood. They used one of those twenty minute pin prick tests and I got one line... All good apparently. Not sure if the Prep will disguise the thru result and I still might be HIV+ or the rash is something else entirely.
Anyway, after the test I went straight to the gay sauna again and immediately was fucked by a nice fat dick, Condom covered, but I retrieved the condom and emptied the load into my ass. In the steam room I sucked another fat dick and swallowed the load... wow the old guy was really happy I sucked him good. A little later I had a youngster really gay versatile who really was looking for a top as well, however I turned him and he fucked me hard and short and shot his load not inside but on my ass... too bad, but I shoved it right back into my asshole... that was it for this afternoon.
I hope the rash will disappear soon... I'll take another test in a month to see if I am still negative. 

• Moderators
On 2/8/2019 at 12:40 PM, Opensesame said:

Could be secondary phase syphyllus symptom. Check webMD for full list, and get tested. 

If the rash is on the palms of your hands, it is almost certainly syphilis. My doctor told me that it is one of the few infections that will make you break out on your palms. 

• Upvote 1

On 1/24/2019 at 8:39 AM, Usccocksucker said:

Pharmacist here, and I second the nurse. There was a trial called the IPERGAY trial that looked at the use of “on demand” PrEP. “On demand” meaning that PrEP was only taken around times of intercourse. Patients would take their first (double) dose 2-24 hours prior to sex and would only continue (with single doses) for two days after sex. Despite the short time on the drug, this still resulted in an 86% drop in seroconversion. A week of regular daily dosing is quite sufficient.

So do you think PrEP could be used as PEP?

7 minutes ago, bihairy said:

So do you think PrEP could be used as PEP?

I wouldn’t go quite that far. This is still pre-exposure prophylaxis because you need to take the first double dose prior to the exposure. The subsequent doses are to maintain antiretroviral concentrations during the period of time that the virus would be capable of replicating. I would not recommend waiting until after an exposure to take only Truvada. After an exposure, there is really only evidence right now to support full-on PEP.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest SpermaFF

In Latvia there are may be 10 gays who use Preps :))) May be more, but they are invisible for me in Internet.

Funny story, I know!