72 year old on Prep??

PozDaddy916

I just communicated (on Adam4Adam) with a 72 year old who is on Prep.

He even admitted he rarely has sex. 

I think that’s a bit too much. Even on the off chance he does get pozzed the chances of him dying from AIDS is nil since it takes 8-10 years to become a health issue. If he decided to get on an antiviral after diagnosis it would not even be a health issue.  He is more likely to have kidney issues from taking the Prep to prevent HIV. Doesn’t make sense to me but big pharma loves it. Have people take drugs they don’t need.

Only he and his doctor know the full range of his health issues. I think medical decisions are best left to the patient and his doctor, and don’t need to be armchair quarterbacked by an online acquaintance. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 8

• 2 weeks later...

Why not?

A friend of mine seroconverted, and he knew because he had persistent colds, sinus infections, and flu symptoms that wouldn't go away for 2 months and made his life a bummer.  This is because the virus was taking out his immune system. He was 50.  He had tested negative within the year.  I don't want to be judgy about fetishes around the virus, but in practicality it can have severe, fatal consequences, along an excruciating, debilitating journey, and have effects that can be felt rather early.  A 72 year old could still have 50 years to live (unlikely, but possible), and as he ages, his immune system likely weakens naturally.  It's not the age to open his system up to anything that could weaken this farther--what was an annoyance and a real bummer to my friend could have meant death for him 25 years later.  Medically it makes total sense to me.

He may not have sex frequently, but when he does he wants to be a cumdump....so why not enjoy it without fearing he'll die earlier, or be sicker or more in the hospital?  Why not at any age?  Why are we so suspicious of PrEP? 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, looking4chubs said:

i have a fuck buddy in his 70s who got on prep. his reason is that while he loves to be bred raw, he is also married with children and grand children, and does not want to get sick because then someone would start asking questions

Yes, oreo/ autocomplete sauId oreo for prep!

Yes, your friend's prep probably just hides IN plain sight with other medications he takes daily  . Its so hot to think about a married to a woman grandfather taking prep because he has a lot I Iof unprotected sex with multiple men.

On 1/30/2019 at 2:14 PM, Kennethk13 said:

I just communicated (on Adam4Adam) with a 72 year old who is on Prep.

He even admitted he rarely has sex. 

I think that’s a bit too much. Even on the off chance he does get pozzed the chances of him dying from AIDS is nil since it takes 8-10 years to become a health issue. If he decided to get on an antiviral after diagnosis it would not even be a health issue.  He is more likely to have kidney issues from taking the Prep to prevent HIV. Doesn’t make sense to me but big pharma loves it. Have people take drugs they don’t need.

Lot of misconceptions here. 

Yes, an untreated HIV infection can take years to lead to AIDS, but that doesn’t mean it won’t cause health problems. Seroconversion illness (aka “fuck flu”) itself, especially in older folks who might have other health conditions, can be pretty serious. And in folks with weaker immune systems to begin with, the progression to AIDS might be much faster.

Also - yes, there’s a risk of kidney function issues with Truvada, but the risk does not increase substantially with age unless you already have another kidney issue (something any doctor would screen for before starting someone on Truvada). 

I am also not following your logic in saying that “it would not even be a health issue” if he took ART after getting HIV, but taking PrEP is somehow more likely to cause kidney issues? There’s a risk of kidney issues with most antiretrovirals.

And don’t get me wrong, as a public health worker I’m not a fan of a lot of things that “big pharma” does in the US, but if you really think PrEP is a ploy to “get people to take drugs they don’t need” in order to sell more drugs, don’t you think they would rather people became HIV+ and needed multiple/more expensive drugs?

I work with multiple MSM in their 70s who take PrEP, and it’s a perfectly valid option to reduce their risk of HIV infection. I like that it empowers them to have the kind of sex they enjoy at a time in their life when they can finally let loose, after living through some of the worst periods of rampant homophobia and the terrifying early days of the AIDS epidemic.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

17 hours ago, barecub85 said:

Lot of misconceptions here. 

Yes, an untreated HIV infection can take years to lead to AIDS, but that doesn’t mean it won’t cause health problems. Seroconversion illness (aka “fuck flu”) itself, especially in older folks who might have other health conditions, can be pretty serious. And in folks with weaker immune systems to begin with, the progression to AIDS might be much faster.

Also - yes, there’s a risk of kidney function issues with Truvada, but the risk does not increase substantially with age unless you already have another kidney issue (something any doctor would screen for before starting someone on Truvada). 

I am also not following your logic in saying that “it would not even be a health issue” if he took ART after getting HIV, but taking PrEP is somehow more likely to cause kidney issues? There’s a risk of kidney issues with most antiretrovirals.

And don’t get me wrong, as a public health worker I’m not a fan of a lot of things that “big pharma” does in the US, but if you really think PrEP is a ploy to “get people to take drugs they don’t need” in order to sell more drugs, don’t you think they would rather people became HIV+ and needed multiple/more expensive drugs?

I work with multiple MSM in their 70s who take PrEP, and it’s a perfectly valid option to reduce their risk of HIV infection. I like that it empowers them to have the kind of sex they enjoy at a time in their life when they can finally let loose, after living through some of the worst periods of rampant homophobia and the terrifying early days of the AIDS epidemic.

It's good to see some debate here. I am 68 and married with children and grandchildren. I was offered PReP as part of a 3 year trial of 10,000 in the UK which started around a year ago. My kidney function has reduced slightly but remains within normal parameters but, due to this, the medics now test my kidney function every 6 weeks rather than every 3 months. I do not lead a promiscuous life but it only takes one poz cumdump right? However I am considering stopping PReP. Not an easy decision but then life is complicated.

Guest Memphian
On 2/8/2019 at 11:34 AM, spermy71 said:

A 72 year old could still have 50 years to live (unlikely, but possible)

Then he would tie the record for the oldest human to ever live, according to Guinness!  Unlikely indeed!  

We're talking about a slippery slope.

If a 72 year old shouldn't be on PrEP, should someone who insists on continuing to smoke be given any type of cancer treatment, or be given oxygen for difficulty breathing?

Should someone who won't stop drinking, be treated for liver damage?

Just because someone wouldn't take a medication for certain reasons, including age, should everyone not be able to take it?

At the very least, we seem to be talking about age discrimination.