PrEP adherence

concerned1

I take daily PrEP...and started off by taking it religiously at 5pm every day. 

But this only lasted a couple weeks and then I started slacking. By that I mean I haven't been taking it at the same time every day. But I have still been taking it daily. I have only missed one day so far  (when I was about two weeks in) and have been taking it for almost 4 weeks now.

The first time I took it at a different time other than 5pm, I realised I hadn't taken it and took it at 8pm. Then other days I did go back to 5pm but some days it has been at 7pm or 9pm or even as late as 11.45pm .....Basically, I have been taking it every day but my timings have been all over the place. I know some timing flexibility is OK, but as I say, it really is all over the place now and has got to the point where it is a different time almost every day!! Today it was 9pm and yesterday it was 4pm.

Can I go on with PrEP like this? Am I still protected against HIV in this way? Can I continue barebacking or should I stop BB sex until I've got back into taking PrEP at the same time at the same time every day? I'm scared. 

• Like 1

Recent research has shown that event bases dosing and four day a week dosing are just as protective. 

Four day a week dosing is to be done after one week of daily dosing. It is 2Ts and 2S. Tues, Thurs, Sat and Sunday. So as long as you are doing this you get the same protection as daily dosing

9 minutes ago, concerned1 said:

Thanks for the info,...I remember the doctor telling me about the 4 day a week dosing. But what about taking it daily but at different times each day? 

If you forget and its within 12hrs of the time you usually take they say take it.  If its over 12 hrs, wait til next regular dose. That's a good rule of thumb for any potent prescription medication

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, fillmyholeftl said:

If you forget and its within 12hrs of the time you usually take they say take it.  If its over 12 hrs, wait til next regular dose. That's a good rule of thumb for any potent prescription medication

So from what you say, I should have adequate protection against HIV if I am taking my PrEP daily, but at varying times each day? Like for example,: 5pm today, 9pm tomorrow, 3pm the day after etc? So long as it's every day? 

1 minute ago, concerned1 said:

So from what you say, I should have adequate protection against HIV if I am taking my PrEP daily, but at varying times each day? Like for example,: 5pm today, 9pm tomorrow, 3pm the day after etc? So long as it's every day? 

that's for the occasional time when you forget.  You should try to take it daily at about the same time every day. 

Guest gwmcatcher

So long as it’s everyday varying by a few hours either way should have no impact on effectiveness.   Same for poz guys on meds. The active ingredients of the meds stay in your system 36 hours or so. 

2 minutes ago, fillmyholeftl said:

that's for the occasional time when you forget.  You should try to take it daily at about the same time every day. 

Oh, I've been taking it at different times each day for a little while now. It won't be protecting me now then I guess? What should I do? Stop taking it for a while (I don't know...maybe a week?) and then start over again and try to adhere to the same time every day? What should I do?

2 minutes ago, concerned1 said:

Oh, I've been taking it at different times each day for a little while now. It won't be protecting me now then I guess? What should I do? Stop taking it for a while (I don't know...maybe a week?) and then start over again and try to adhere to the same time every day? What should I do?

Your protection is probably fine... just going forward try to take it at about the same time daily.  If you forget a dose 1 X per month or take it late that's not a problem at all