Prep, STIs and HIV

Cutedelicategay

Question for all you Prepsters....is it fair to link Prep to rise in other STIs? Secondly as in individuals not on Prep, getting infected by STIs increases their chances for HIV infection, is it the same for individuals on Prep? Will STI infection increase chances for HIV infection in individuals on Prep?

• Moderators

I think until someone does careful research it will be hard to tell if STI rates are going up because people on PrEP are getting infected more often or just because they are getting tested more regularly so more infections get caught. I know I was bad about going for a long time without any STI checkups before I went on PrEP. 

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/24/2019 at 5:26 AM, drscorpio said:

I think until someone does careful research it will be hard to tell if STI rates are going up because people on PrEP are getting infected more often or just because they are getting tested more regularly so more infections get caught. I know I was bad about going for a long time without any STI checkups before I went on PrEP. 

Me too. I didn't test for something like 5 or 6 years. When I did eventually get tested again, I had gono and syph (which have both been treated and cured since). I fucked hundreds upon hundreds of guys in the 5 years or so before I got tested again and the majority of those guys I fucked bareback. I find it hard to believe I only got infected with only 2 STI's, given how many guys I'd ducked bareback...so I'm thinking even if you get an STI (like gono or chlyamidia etc) and don't get tested, maybe they just go away and clear up on their own after a certain amount of time? And BTW I would imagine PrEP has resulted in a rise in STI rates due to the fact that more people would be doing bareback (hence why they're on PrEP)...that's quite logical to assume, I'd have thought. But hey, it doesn't really matter as most STI's can be treated and cured easily, unlike HIV. 

Edited by concerned1
  • Upvote 1

I dont' think there is a relation between other STDs and Prep, other than the fact that maybe who use prep has more sex so it just a game of numbers.

Prep doesn't make you more or less exposed or vulnerable to other STDs.

Edited by Veytoss