H.I.V. Is Reported Cured in a Second Patient

https://www.click2houston.com/health/london-patient-might-be-second-to-be-cured-of-hiv

As of the time, the article appeared online, there is a strong possibility that HIV may soon be treatable as if any regular type of infection.  As far as the treatment itself is concerned, they did say that how it's done won't be for everyone, but at least we're getting closer since we now have 2 that appear to be cured.

Keep in mind, this is about those that have regrets or may choose to get it out of their bodies, not those who are active chasers (there's a place of discussion for that),

For those that are curious about this, what do you guys think?

I wish to do a bit of speculation here.

Let's say this works and becomes a viable cure. How many of us BZ guys would queue up for it? Who would go and get the cure, and try to get infected again? I imagine a weird convo to be something like this.

Guy 1: I have to go the clinic for the HIV cure again.

Guy 2: What is this, the fourth time for you now?

Guy 1: Something like that. I'm such a whore, LOL.

Guy 2: Make this the last time, okay?

See how weird that would be?

1 hour ago, leatherpunk16 said:

I wish to do a bit of speculation here.

Let's say this works and becomes a viable cure. How many of us BZ guys would queue up for it? Who would go and get the cure, and try to get infected again? I imagine a weird convo to be something like this.

Guy 1: I have to go the clinic for the HIV cure again.

Guy 2: What is this, the fourth time for you now?

Guy 1: Something like that. I'm such a whore, LOL.

Guy 2: Make this the last time, okay?

See how weird that would be?

I'm confident that an insurance healthcare provider would not cover habitual treatment if a trend was discovered. I imagine the costs of such a treatment would be too high to be treated as antibiotics or the morning-after pill, paid out-of-pocket or by insurance. 

1 hour ago, cityjock said:

I'm confident that an insurance healthcare provider would not cover habitual treatment if a trend was discovered. I imagine the costs of such a treatment would be too high to be treated as antibiotics or the morning-after pill, paid out-of-pocket or by insurance. 

The politicians would force them to after LGBT activists screamed that not paying for serial multi-million dollar AIDS treatments was "killing LGBT communities." Then the insurance company lobbies would make sure they got taxpayer reimbursement with 390% markups. 

• Haha 1

This was apparently reported in the NY Times, i think it's legit.  But reading the article, the similarity is that each case resulted after a bone marrow transplant in cancer patients.  That's an extreme process that involves "conditioning" where the immune system is virtually neutralized (ironic, eh?) to help prevent rejection of the transplant. Chemo or radiation therapy is used to do this. i'd be interested to read the journal reports on this as i suspect that it's that destructive process that ends up killing off the the virus too.  With meds, the virus is suppressed to the point of "undetectable," but manages to hide... apparently the process of getting a bone marrow transplant gets the 'hidden'  or "undetectable" virus as well.  Not a wonderfully viable option and not likely to replace suppression as an option unless you are crazy rich, want and can afford the procedure. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

This  has made the media in Australia too..  @tallslender guy.. the bone marrow was obtained from a guy who was resistant to hiv infection. The "new" patient had the transplant and some two years later they cannot detect any signs of the hiv virus in his blood.

This is going to be a massively expensive exercise to eliminate hiv from everyone. - assuming that they can find enough people who are immune and are prepared to go through the pain of donating bone marrow. - mind U money talks!

Sorry, The London Patient Is In Remission, Not 'Cured' Of HIV

Don't let the headlines confuse you or Trump convice you that we can cure HIV. That's not how to erradicate the virus.

https://goo.gl/As3xx7

I think most people missed the real point, that is not the cure, rather what we may learn from the fact that after the transplant the virus seems to be gone.

Edited by Veytoss
  • Like 2