Descovy for PrEP works as well as Truvada

rawfuckr

Results for the Discover trial that was trying to see how well Descovy works as PrEP. Descovy is a reformulated Truvada for lower kidney and bone density loss side effects.  http://www.aidsmap.com/page/3464259/?fbclid=IwAR2NypmC3wlxtGV1B6EO560cWZykyxLtk9BjYbBPbqguKwr4OJS5V29dTcc

Those are the results. 5000 men enrolled, ~2500 on Descovy, ~2500 on Truvada.  22 infections: 7 infections from prior pill intake, 13 during study but with no adherence due to levels measured...   2 infections 1 on Descovy and 1 on Truvada with low drug levels so likely poor adherence there too.

TLDR; Descovy works as well as Truvada for MSM and has less kidney and bone density loss side effects.  Not FDA approved for PrEP yet although it will likely happen now. Don't expect insurance to pay easily for Descovy as PrEP.

• Upvote 1

I've been one of the guys in the study.  It's coming up on 2 years now, and I haven't known which drug I'm on.  I'll find out at the next visit in May.   It was supposed to go for over another year, but the Dr said due to the results they will likely be canceling the study early and going for FDA approval as the primary Prep drug.  As a study participant all visits, medicine and labs were free (and I even got a small check!), and at the end of the study I am given the new drug for one additional year.  I had to go through a screening initially to make sure I was high risk enough to be a worthy test subject, and you continue to answer questions on an ipad about how many times you've topped raw and bottomed raw since the last visit.  I don't usually keep track of my fucks, so as a vers guy that was a fun fact to see myself swing more top to bottom from one season to the next lol.  My favorite hookups were the guys I got to check off under the top AND bottom column, and it made me realize how few guys actually flip fuck :(

I assume it will be covered the same as Truvada.  I wish it was a different manufacturer so there would be some price competition, but it's still Gilead.  Based on my experience I would def do more clinical trials in the future.  I just read on here yesterday about 2-1-1 method for using Prep for guys that have less frequent sex.  I think that's a pretty common method in other countries, which must have been tested at some point.  Every new drug and quantities etc all have to be tested.....I'm a good guinea PIG since I have plenty of high risk sex and even though I'd rather stay neg, I wouldn't flip out if I turned poz :)   willing participant I guess!!

• Upvote 5
  • Thanks 1