Bone density issue question

verbalBTTM

Been waiting and watching to see if Prep is the miracle claimed or just another disappointment. I've been extremely grateful to the Prep discussion board on here in being so foward and honest. 

My question for the group is concerning the side effects particularly the bone density issue. Is Prep disrupting the calcium replenishment cycle, or is it disrupting other minerals. Basically I'm looking for a mitigation strategy without having to supplement with vitamins as that would add to an already stressed detoxification system. 

Thanks in advanced. 

37 minutes ago, Pozlover1 said:

I take L-Carnitine for bone density and L-Methionine for myelopathy. About every few days or if my hips start hurting. I am on Atripla. 

Have you ever tried Turmeric for the inflammation

Noticed those 2 supplements you take seem to generally be for kidney and liver health and antiviral properties. Have you ever tried a Keto diet rich with coconut oil along with intermittent fasting. Found it detoxed me rapidly and cut inches off my waist line in a few weeks. 

Food for thought literally

I've been in a clinical trial for two years now for Descovy to be used as prep.  The primary reason being long term bone density issues as well as other side effects.  It has proven to be equally effective (pretty much 100%) except where guys have not taken it enough to be fully in their system.The study is supposed to go for over another year, but I was told they will probably end it quite soon for FDA approval, then it will be the primary Prep drug.  Go ahead and start with Turvada though - then when Descovy is the "go to" drug you can switch at that point.  It's the same two active ingredients - just a different ratio of the two drugs, still made by Gilead - so most likely equally expensive!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, verbalBTTM said:

Have you ever tried Turmeric for the inflammation

Noticed those 2 supplements you take seem to generally be for kidney and liver health and antiviral properties. Have you ever tried a Keto diet rich with coconut oil along with intermittent fasting. Found it detoxed me rapidly and cut inches off my waist line in a few weeks. 

Food for thought literally

Thank you. This is working for me. My Doctor monitors fat in my urine for kidney problems and those two supplements stop my hip pain almost instantly. I also take 4 Centrum and 3 B-100 a day, along with 500 mg of Lysine. Occasionally some liquid B-12. All this is working.

As I understand it the Keto is basically cutting out carbs, and works for weight loss. I have seen it work in two cases. My weight is stable, if a little high.

I have tried Tumeric and did not feel any better or worse. 

Flushing out “toxins” is a bad idea, as the HIV meds are “toxins”. I love coconut but as you know it is pure cholesterol, the bad kind, as is palm oil which is in a lot of food. I don’t avoid palm oil or sodium but I do read ingredients and avoid Propylene Glycol, Aspertame and bright food coloring  totally.

I drink Arizona Green Tea and never drink sodas. 

It goes without saying I do not drink, smoke or do drugs, but I do drink coffee. 

My CD4 is great and I walked almost a mile Saturday in a 35° drizzle. I had enough clothes on, and something around my neck. 

I have a Chiro adjustment every two weeks.

anyway this is what is working for me. 

42 minutes ago, Pozlover1 said:

Thank you. This is working for me. My Doctor monitors fat in my urine for kidney problems and those two supplements stop my hip pain almost instantly. I also take 4 Centrum and 3 B-100 a day, along with 500 mg of Lysine. Occasionally some liquid B-12. All this is working.

As I understand it the Keto is basically cutting out carbs, and works for weight loss. I have seen it work in two cases. My weight is stable, if a little high.

I have tried Tumeric and did not feel any better or worse. 

Flushing out “toxins” is a bad idea, as the HIV meds are “toxins”. I love coconut but as you know it is pure cholesterol, the bad kind, as is palm oil which is in a lot of food. I don’t avoid palm oil or sodium but I do read ingredients and avoid Propylene Glycol, Aspertame and bright food coloring  totally.

I drink Arizona Green Tea and never drink sodas. 

It goes without saying I do not drink, smoke or do drugs, but I do drink coffee. 

My CD4 is great and I walked almost a mile Saturday in a 35° drizzle. I had enough clothes on, and something around my neck. 

I have a Chiro adjustment every two weeks.

anyway this is what is working for me. 

Glad you've figured out a good plan for yourself. For me Turmeric kills any joint pain and cuts down or kills any inflammation plus it has a great taste for me. I use nutritional yeast (not fortified) to get my B vitamins & combine that with oil of oregano and a trace mineral formula. 

The keto diet is more than staying away from carbs but certainly a large component of it. For me and a few friends it's trummed our waists and other parts of our bodies while adding consistent energy throughout the dat. My friend notified me today that her diabetes has now been reclassified as pre-diabetic along with clearer skin. So i put that in the recommended category. 

I guess toxicity is another question i have, since prep is a toxic substance. I wonder how that would react with my molecular hygrogen regiment. It's done wonders for arresting physical signs of ageing along with increases in energy & libido. But hygrogen might be bad for maintaining an adequate supply of the drug in my body to shield me from HIV infection.

Anyway thanks for sharing

I’ve asked two very close friends this same question: one is a pharmacist and the other is a Nurse Practitioner that worked at Planned Parenthood for several years. They both told me the same thing:

There is definitely a link between Truvada and lower bone density - both my friends have seen this side effect in the clinical setting.  However, this link is very poorly understood.  First, all side effects for Truvada are based on previous studies of HIV+ treatment (not prevention).  Second, sonce HIV treatment requires more than Truvada as PrEP, it is in unknow which drug(s) actually cause bone density loss or if it is a side effect that only occurs with a medication cocktail.  Also, as shown above, HIV alone can lower bone density.

Ultimately, both said the risk was very low and they were unaware of this side effect in PrEP based users.  Also, Truvada is much more effective than anything else (including condoms).  For me and my man, the benefits far outweigh the risks.  We get to be the kind of whores we want to be without the worry.  

• Upvote 1

Guest gwmcatcher

I was on truvada and later Atripla for 15 years before starting to get minor bone density issues. Doctor switched me to another med and put me on Vitamin d 2000iu a day. 

No longer an issue  as others have said  the benefits of prep greatly outweigh a side effect that may take 15 years to show up