Undetectable questions

Guest descartes70817

It usually takes a viral load in the hundreds of thousands to infect you, so if you lined up maybe 50,000 undetectable guys you MIGHT get enough active virus to overhelm your immune system - unless you already have a weakened immune system. If you are taking any medication for auto-immune problems (psoriasis, rheumatism, IBS, etc) you probably don't have much of an immune system already and even one undetectable load might do the trick.

I know we are all a bunch of sleazy bareback whores deep down inside, but this thread is, in part, why sites like this should exist.  

I came of age sexually in the mid-90s.  There was still a huge amount of stigma from the dark days of HIV/AIDS in the 80s, so much of the sex education for gay men (that we learned from the free clinic and university campus groups) at that time basically amounted to:  if you bareback even once, you'll get HIV.  I know the medical knowledge wasn't quite what it is now, but there was still lots of fear around the topic.  There didn't seem to be enough education for negative guys around things like viral loads, etc., nor were there many forums like this where one could ask what it was like if they tested HIV+. We all need a safe space to talk about these things in a non-judgemental way.

To answer the original question, though, undetectable guys are (strangely) the safest guys to bareback with.  At least we get tested every 3-6 months and are on treatment to keep the virus suppressed.  I'd say as long as you're sticking to sex only and not really indulging in "enhancements", you'll be fine.  My actual conversion happened during a rather dark 12 month period of intermittent meth use.  It does impact your immune system in a way that made it easier for me to seroconvert; plus, I wasn't exactly being picky when my ass just wanted a cock perenially plugged inside it.  

Do bear in mind, though, that although UD guys are safe from an HIV standpoint, you still have those other pesky STIs to worry about.  PrEP won't save you from syph, ghon, clap, herp, and so on.  

• Like 2