Who has changed my story?

On 5/24/2019 at 12:22 AM, pervinmt said:

Just understand, I take no issue with fixing spelling or extremely awkward punctuation. What I take issue with is changing thoughts or words that need no changing.

For example, I wrote, "Matthew still lives at home, which I like, and saves expenses. He was never much of a partier, good kid, and has all the freedom he wants."

It got changed to, "Matthew still lives at home, which I like, if only as it saves money. Matthew was never much of a party kid, instead he was a genuinely pleasant kid, which meant we gave him all the freedom he wants."

This is not at all how my character would speak. He never would have said "genuinely pleasant," or, "if only as it saves money." I like to write as people actually talk. I'm not writing a flippin Jane Austen novel. This is what I find offensive, changing the characters I'm creating. 

It's often the case terrible writers will try to correct better writers in this way. This is because they struggle to think, let alone write.

He thinks maybe he's teaching a fourth grade English class (where his changes would still suck) but what he's changing has nothing to do with modern fiction writing. Can you imagine the butchering this guy would do editing Hunter Thompson or Bret Easton Ellis?

• Upvote 1

On 5/24/2019 at 4:32 PM, rawTOP said:

The moderators look out for trigger phases that can get this site in trouble. In this case "good kid" is quite borderline, especially in the context. The word kid has to be used VERY carefully otherwise Google (and the FBI) may start thinking we're promoting things we have no intention of promoting. I suspect that was the intention of the moderator in this case.

The point being, there are things moderators think of that you don't think of. They don't take on work for themselves just for the hell of it. They do it to protect the site. Just because you don't understand what they're doing doesn't mean it shouldn't be done.

"Party kid" doesn't trigger more than "good kid?" That's very, very hard to believe.

• Administrators

READ THIS!!

Beyond this post I'll allow only one type of comment… Anyone posting other types of comments will have them deleted/hidden, and if they persist, I'll give the person an infraction.

Give me the URL of a post that's been changed. In particular I want the URL for the particular post, not the URL at the top of the page. To get the post URL right click on the "Share this post" icon just above and to the right of the post. Post that URL and tell me what's changed. I'll look into it to see who changed it. I'm particularly interested in recent changes (last few days).

I'm not really interested in what people think about what's happened. I want to know who did what and when. As I mentioned above, I think I know how it happened. And I just need to make sure I've got it fixed. There's limited information on moderation changes, but there is some – enough for me to figure out the source (but not enough to roll back the changes).

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy, and Guidelines. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.