Is my CD4 count too high?

Hey guys.

Last week, I went for (what should have been) quarterly labs, but was actually the first time in almost a year I’ve been to the doc. I know, I know, I know it should be done regularly, but it has been a very hectic year....

Anyway, the doctor called me yesterday and gave me the results. All looked good she said, with the exception of cholesterol triglycerides were a bit high. Otherwise, VL undetectable, CD4 1700, all STD’s negative, etc.

When she mentioned my CD4 was 1700, initially I thought, “WOW! That’s great!” Last time I was checked, I was around 900 or 1000, can’t remember exactly. When I first started meds five years ago, after three months, I was 1100. I’ve never been THIS high though.

So I Googled around. And I found that “normal range” is 500-1500... which means I am out of the normal range. I am finding a lot of resources on how being too low is a bad thing, but almost nothing on what it means if I’m too high. Does anyone know what it means to have a really high CD4 count? Should I be concerned at all? 

3 hours ago, poptronic said:

Hey guys.

Last week, I went for (what should have been) quarterly labs, but was actually the first time in almost a year I’ve been to the doc. I know, I know, I know it should be done regularly, but it has been a very hectic year....

Anyway, the doctor called me yesterday and gave me the results. All looked good she said, with the exception of cholesterol triglycerides were a bit high. Otherwise, VL undetectable, CD4 1700, all STD’s negative, etc.

When she mentioned my CD4 was 1700, initially I thought, “WOW! That’s great!” Last time I was checked, I was around 900 or 1000, can’t remember exactly. When I first started meds five years ago, after three months, I was 1100. I’ve never been THIS high though.

So I Googled around. And I found that “normal range” is 500-1500... which means I am out of the normal range. I am finding a lot of resources on how being too low is a bad thing, but almost nothing on what it means if I’m too high. Does anyone know what it means to have a really high CD4 count? Should I be concerned at all? 

I don't think there is any reason to be concerned... You are like a SUPER MAN ! 

Guest descartes70817
4 hours ago, poptronic said:

Hey guys.

Be happy the number is that high. It's taken me 2-1/2 years to get my CD4 cell count up to 380

21 minutes ago, skylon said:

That's like having a penis that is too big

Well, ask my buddy about that, he’s 12 inches. For him it’s more of a curse because he likes to fuck deep and many guys he says can’t take more than half his dick.... I’m always more than happy to ride him straight down to the balls though!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ConversionPiglet said:

A CD4 count that high is usually an indication of a current or just ending infection.  The body makes a lot of white blood cells (WBCs) to fight off the invading infection; so were you sick recently?  (cold, flu, seasonal allergies, just to name a few?)

I did just get over a wicked case of bronchitis... took me almost 3 weeks to kick it. Still have a tiny bit of a residual cough, so that could have been it. 

Just as stated it’s likely the recent infection that got the number higher. But no don’t worry at all. That just means what you’re doing with meds and such is working. 

Doctors don’t even worry as much about lower CD4 counts now as long as the person doesn’t seem to have any other problems.  I have two undetectable friends with CD4 counts in the 300’s but are perfectly fine, and their doctors said that just might me the way their body is, HIV or not. 

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
On 6/6/2019 at 5:13 PM, poptronic said:

Well, ask my buddy about that, he’s 12 inches. For him it’s more of a curse because he likes to fuck deep and many guys he says can’t take more than half his dick.... I’m always more than happy to ride him straight down to the balls though!

Send him my way, I'll take him to the balls both holes, hope he is Poz too.

• 2 weeks later...

Nothing to be concerned about.  Mine has gone as high as 1200 before, but there have been wild swings over the last 6 1/2 years of being poz.  In the UK now (at least at my clinic), they don't even check your CD4s every time if you're maintaining an UD viral load.