MEDS while travelling out of country...

Hey, pigbros!

I wondering if anyone has encountered any problems with taking and storing meds (PREP or HIV) in your carry-on or suitcase when you travel to different countries. I hope to be travelling to Eastern Europe in September. Some countries there have become very regressive when it comes to LGBTQ rights and freedoms. Living in Canada, I don't have to worry about it. But travelling, I'm a bit worried. Thoughts? Experiences? Advice?

I might not be the best to advice you on this topic. But I should think that the regressive policies of the Eastern European countries is very much a question about which specific country/countries you have in mind. The one country I know the best is the Czech Republic, where I have never experienced any issues with bringing meds in my carry-on or cabin luggage. I guess those countries who are EU member countries are not going to prove any trouble in this regard. Another thing is, that even some of these countries are somewhat homophobic. 

If by Eastern European countries you're thinking about the former Soviet republics I'm afraid I can't offer any advice ... but I guess it's common knowledge that these countries are not very kind to any sexual minority group.

I know that Poland and Hungary are EU members, while Ukraine is seeking EU membership. Ukraine in 1990-1991 was the first ex-Soviet republic to de-criminalize homosexuality. Then a few years ago due to what neighbouring Russia was doing, Ukraine's parliament again re-criminalized it. In any case, all these 3 countries are very conservative and regressive in terms of LGBTQ policies and rights. You have to be very careful about hook-ups. You just might be taken into an alley and pulverized to death. I don't want that at all. Dane, I'll just have to pack my PREP in my suitcase and not my carry-on.  

• Upvote 1

I would pack your PrEP in your carry-on and not in your suitcase. Just in case your suitcase gets lost in transit. Loads of people have medication in their carry-on. I don't think customs will even ask what it is if it looks like prescription meds. And in case they do ask you can always say you have diabetes or something.

Poland and Hungary are part of the Schengen agreement (Ukraine is not an EU member) so if you don't travel directly to these countries but have a stopover in a different EU country first (like France, Netherlands, Spain for instance, not UK...) you won't even go through customs in those countries.

• Upvote 3

On 6/8/2019 at 9:23 AM, Read1 said:

Hey, pigbros!

I wondering if anyone has encountered any problems with taking and storing meds (PREP or HIV) in your carry-on or suitcase when you travel to different countries. I hope to be travelling to Eastern Europe in September. Some countries there have become very regressive when it comes to LGBTQ rights and freedoms. Living in Canada, I don't have to worry about it. But travelling, I'm a bit worried. Thoughts? Experiences? Advice?

I had a similar concern/question, @Read1

From my younger gay doc who suggested to me to keep all vitamins, supplements and meds in my carry-on, because your suitcase may get lost (and eventually found) but your carry-on comes with you immediately upon disembarking a plane flight. Good advice!

• Like 1

@Read1 - I travel a lot internationally.  Don't put your meds in your suitcase.  They are often late, misplaced or worse (lost/stolen).  Then you are screwed.

I have a pill dispenser (7 day) and put my PrEP in with my vitamins, arthritis meds etc... I have never in 20 years had anyone go through my medicine. As pointed out by others, if you are in Schengen, you go through passport control once for the entire EU and not bothered again.

You are wise indeed about 'cruising' in certain countries.  But it is good to be cautious when travelling in countries where you aren't 100% sure anyway...... meet in public etc.

Enjoy the travel - but I wouldn't sweat the pills thing too much ... in my opinion.

Cheers

• Upvote 1

I out my HIV meds in a vitamin bottle in my carry-on and never checked in bags as these can get "lost". 

For over 10 years, I have travelled this way to US, UK, Hong Kong, Thailand and Singapore with no problem. I make a point not to travel to "hostile" countries.

I have travelled a lot post retirement... I generally pack 5 days worth of prescription medicine in my carry on..the rest in original packaging in the checked baggage. Have never had any checked baggage go missing (the quality of your airline??????) Am like the previous poster "not to travel to hostile countries". 

• 9 months later...
On 6/12/2019 at 9:10 AM, PG1961Canada said:

@Read1 - I travel a lot internationally.  Don't put your meds in your suitcase.  They are often late, misplaced or worse (lost/stolen).  Then you are screwed.

I have a pill dispenser (7 day) and put my PrEP in with my vitamins, arthritis meds etc... I have never in 20 years had anyone go through my medicine. As pointed out by others, if you are in Schengen, you go through passport control once for the entire EU and not bothered again.

You are wise indeed about 'cruising' in certain countries.  But it is good to be cautious when travelling in countries where you aren't 100% sure anyway...... meet in public etc.

Enjoy the travel - but I wouldn't sweat the pills thing too much ... in my opinion.

Cheers

Have you traveled to Dubai? I've been wanting to go there on vacation, but will I have a problem if I bring my ARVs with me? Friends say that even your regular multivitamins may be scrutinized in the airport by the authorities.