REPUTATION POINTS

Guest takingdeepanal

Guest takingdeepanal

I replied to someone's topic without attacking them or mocking them - however, they downvoted me. They downvoted me again when I asked them to explain the initial downvote

Is there a system which can be put in place whereby members have to explain why they are downvoting comments? Some of us work to build our reputations - and don't see why some people find the need to be petty in their hiding behind their keyboards.

Edited by takingdeepanal

I noticed that too! Some odd characters 'red-smudging' fairly innocent stuff for what reason? Not vile enough? Not crude enough? Not self-destructive enough? Too 'nice'?

You would expect more broad-minded tolerance on BZ where we have everything form innocent newbie bb-sympathizers to hardcore party whores running their lives on empty. We don't all run at the same speed. As to what I read (personally): there is LOTS where I just cringe. Guys wanting to 'destroy themselves', guys wanting to get every disease in the book like HIV and VD are exotic pets. Or guys wanting to be castrated and what not... I just cringe and move on. NO COMMENT, no 'reaction'!!!

On the same vein: when you look at U-tube and find ANY timeless and incredible music video from PINK to Pink Floyd to Linkin Park... (for example) doesn't matter... with all the TENS of THOUSANDS of likes there is always at least a few hundred thumbs down. So you can't take it personally. Maybe a 400lbs curmudgeon in the basement of his parents' house HATES IT, because he is recalling the popular kids in high-school making out to 'comfortably numb'  and him sitting alone in the dark... who knows

As to 'people hiding behind key-boards' on BZ: I WISHED there was a feature where we could BLOCK our content from the rare piss-ants who repeatedly rain on the parade without explanation (because truly, there isn't a good one)...

And YES, we work HARD on our slut, whore and SUPERSTAR statuses lol 

• Like 4
  • Upvote 5

• 10 months later...
  • Administrators

The reputation system is what it is. In the end if you're a good member you'll get way more up votes than down votes. But people who are truly disruptive or spamming the site will get way more down votes than up votes and that will prevent them from moving to the next stage of membership.

So don't worry about it.

As I (slowly) build the new sites I'll try to take stuff like this into consideration. IMHO, what's needed is to see if someone's negativity is shared by others. So if they consistently down vote things other people are up voting, then that's a problem. The percentage of their votes that are down votes should also be within certain limits (1 or 2 standard deviations from the mean). So I get what's needed, I just can't fix it right here and now.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, rawTOP said:

IMHO, what's needed is to see if someone's negativity is shared by others. So if they consistently down vote things other people are up voting, then that's a problem. The percentage of their votes that are down votes should also be within certain limits (1 or 2 standard deviations from the mean). 

Seems like a useful tool for people, go to their recent activity and if everything is negative, now you know something useful about them.

If the operators of this site had infinite time on their hands, showing a distribution of people's votes on their profile would be interesting.

CORRECTION:  You can already do this!  Click on people's "REPUTATION POINTS" and it will show you how they have voted.  GREAT SYSTEM!

Edited by 408curious
Correction

• Administrators
13 hours ago, 408curious said:

CORRECTION:  You can already do this!  Click on people's "REPUTATION POINTS" and it will show you how they have voted.  GREAT SYSTEM!

Can you explain exactly how / where you see that data?

7 hours ago, rawTOP said:

Can you explain exactly how / where you see that data?

On each person's profile is their reputation points. If you click on that box, it takes you to the breakdown of "Reactions Given", further breaking that into each possible reaction. Also listed is "Reactions Received", which is also broken down into each possible reaction. I could screenshot it and send to you @rawTOP

On 7/14/2019 at 1:31 PM, rawsatyr said:

I noticed that too! Some odd characters 'red-smudging' fairly innocent stuff for what reason? Not vile enough? Not crude enough? Not self-destructive enough? Too 'nice'?

You would expect more broad-minded tolerance on BZ where we have everything form innocent newbie bb-sympathizers to hardcore party whores running their lives on empty. We don't all run at the same speed. As to what I read (personally): there is LOTS where I just cringe. Guys wanting to 'destroy themselves', guys wanting to get every disease in the book like HIV and VD are exotic pets. Or guys wanting to be castrated and what not... I just cringe and move on. NO COMMENT, no 'reaction'!!!

On the same vein: when you look at U-tube and find ANY timeless and incredible music video from PINK to Pink Floyd to Linkin Park... (for example) doesn't matter... with all the TENS of THOUSANDS of likes there is always at least a few hundred thumbs down. So you can't take it personally. Maybe a 400lbs curmudgeon in the basement of his parents' house HATES IT, because he is recalling the popular kids in high-school making out to 'comfortably numb'  and him sitting alone in the dark... who knows

As to 'people hiding behind key-boards' on BZ: I WISHED there was a feature where we could BLOCK our content from the rare piss-ants who repeatedly rain on the parade without explanation (because truly, there isn't a good one)...

And YES, we work HARD on our slut, whore and SUPERSTAR statuses lol 

I am just now reading this but could not have said it better myself.  Work together, not against each other.  

• Administrators
2 hours ago, breedmedeeper said:

On each person's profile is their reputation points. If you click on that box, it takes you to the breakdown of "Reactions Given", further breaking that into each possible reaction. Also listed is "Reactions Received", which is also broken down into each possible reaction. I could screenshot it and send to you @rawTOP

Interesting. It doesn't work on my admin profile, but on my regular user test profile I see what you're talking about 👍. Weird that admins are lacking the feature.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, rawTOP said:

Interesting. It doesn't work on my admin profile, but on my regular user test profile I see what you're talking about 👍. Weird that admins are lacking the feature.

For what it is worth, other people can tell when I like/react to their posts. I sometimes get thank you messages. I cannot see who reacts to my posts. 

• Upvote 2

On 6/9/2020 at 8:03 AM, rawTOP said:

The reputation system is what it is. In the end if you're a good member you'll get way more up votes than down votes. But people who are truly disruptive or spamming the site will get way more down votes than up votes and that will prevent them from moving to the next stage of membership.

So don't worry about it.

As I (slowly) build the new sites I'll try to take stuff like this into consideration. IMHO, what's needed is to see if someone's negativity is shared by others. So if they consistently down vote things other people are up voting, then that's a problem. The percentage of their votes that are down votes should also be within certain limits (1 or 2 standard deviations from the mean). So I get what's needed, I just can't fix it right here and now.

Standard deviation. Unpleasant memories from Stats in business school 😔

16 hours ago, rawTOP said:

Yeah, that's bizarre that on your admin account you can't see that. At least now you know about it and can check from your test profile. 😊 Glad I could help, Sir!

Edited by breedmedeeper
spelling error

On 6/11/2020 at 1:00 AM, drscorpio said:

I cannot see who reacts to my posts. 

That is strange. I can see who reacted to a particular response and with what type, i.e. Upvote, Like etc. I can also see the overview that @breedmedeeper mentioned. Although you cannot break that down further to details.

• 1 month later...
On 6/12/2020 at 2:52 AM, NLbear said:

That is strange. I can see who reacted to a particular response and with what type, i.e. Upvote, Like etc. I can also see the overview that @breedmedeeper mentioned. Although you cannot break that down further to details.

Yeah, just found mine.. i recieved a Red smudge and I gave 7 Reds, I remember a nasty poster who has since been banned for trolling.

But someone said on here, to ignore and move on. Good advice.

On another note, I cannot do anything with this data though. 

Guest takingdeepanal
On 7/13/2019 at 12:56 PM, takingdeepanal said:

I replied to someone's topic without attacking them or mocking them - however, they downvoted me. They downvoted me again when I asked them to explain the initial downvote

Is there a system which can be put in place whereby members have to explain why they are downvoting comments? Some of us work to build our reputations - and don't see why some people find the need to be petty in their hiding behind their keyboards.

I asked a simple question - yet @raw773 chose to downvote the post. Can you please explain what was so offensive that you had to do that?

Edited by takingdeepanal