REPUTATION POINTS

Guest takingdeepanal

Glad I found this thread as there has been a question puzzling me for awhile

If you like a post

is there / what is the difference between an “upvote” and the heart, “like”

dose one or the other boost someone’s reputation score more than the other?

thankd

Just now, onlyraw said:

If you like a post

thankd

I believe I read there is no difference between the upvote and the heart (like). 

5 hours ago, onlyraw said:

If you like a post

thankd

As noted, there's effectively no difference between the two. Some of us have our own reasons for using one over the other, either always or in particular situations, but you can use either one and have the same impact, generally speaking.

The site owner, RawTop, posted something on this in another thread back in 2021:

9 hours ago, Pozpunk said:

Great so China (CCP) has arrived I guess we’ll be unable to do things and we’ll be looking up or down at eachother based on…. But aren’t we all judged for being in this pervy joint in the first place. 
reputation ha

I don't see any chains pinning you to this site. 

More importantly: sites like this are a community, not just a free-for-all where anything goes. Societies and communities *always* have rules that have to be obeyed; it's what makes it possible for a bunch of people to interact with each other even when they may have disparate goals and ideas and beliefs.

The nice thing about reputation points working as they do is that they aren't "brownie points" awarded by the site management for agreeing with them or whatever. They're the sum of positive and negative reactions given by others in the community. As such, if most people here like personal sexploit tales (like those found in the "Your last load" section (which has over 17,000 posts at this point), they can encourage more of the same by liking and upvoting those kinds of posts.

And for those who appreciate good health care information, likewise, liking and upvoting posts in the Health and HIV forum that are useful and convey good information boosts people's willingness to participate.

Ditto for the fiction section, the bugchasing section, the straight and bi section, the fetishes (hard core and soft core) sections, and more.

There are only a handful of things you can't post about here; otherwise, it's pretty much wide open. Some things that fit, however, may be more (or less) popular than others, within this particular community. That's just how the world is.

• Upvote 1

• 1 year later...
On 6/9/2020 at 5:03 AM, rawTOP said:

The reputation system is what it is. In the end if you're a good member you'll get way more up votes than down votes. But people who are truly disruptive or spamming the site will get way more down votes than up votes and that will prevent them from moving to the next stage of membership.

So don't worry about it.

As I (slowly) build the new sites I'll try to take stuff like this into consideration. IMHO, what's needed is to see if someone's negativity is shared by others. So if they consistently down vote things other people are up voting, then that's a problem. The percentage of their votes that are down votes should also be within certain limits (1 or 2 standard deviations from the mean). So I get what's needed, I just can't fix it right here and now.

You have a moderator that went through and down voted everything he was seeing from what I can tell. So we have an issue. Moderators should not get to vote because they can give you points and such. Funny to see it is a moderator downvoting what others are upvoting and marking with other positive type marks. This goes directly against what you said in this statement.

27 minutes ago, lilloveboy said:

You have a moderator that went through and down voted everything he was seeing from what I can tell. So we have an issue. Moderators should not get to vote because they can give you points and such. Funny to see it is a moderator downvoting what others are upvoting and marking with other positive type marks. This goes directly against what you said in this statement.

Moderators are members, too, and participate in the system just like everyone else. It's true that they can mark infractions, but as far as I know, all the moderators can see all the actions other moderators take, and if there's a problem, I suspect any rogue moderator would be reported to the site owner.

And I say this as someone who's been both upvoted AND downvoted by the moderators, and occasionally received an infraction for going too far. As RawTop noted, the current system "is what it is", and when a completely rebuilt site becomes available someday, he'll be able to account for things like someone whose "votes" are consistently against the general prevailing wisdom. That's just not possible right now with the software tools this site has.

I also say this as someone who's been the target of a concerted "downvote" campaign more than once. It is what it is, and I keep posting, and enough people do appreciate the points I make enough to upvote or thank me such that the occasional "downvote bomb" doesn't really affect my reputation score, apparently.

• Upvote 2

• Moderators
1 hour ago, lilloveboy said:

You have a moderator that went through and down voted everything he was seeing from what I can tell.

So we have an issue. Moderators should not get to vote because they can give you points and such. Funny to see it is a moderator downvoting what others are upvoting and marking with other positive type marks. This goes directly against what you said in this statement.

From what you can tell? You provide no information about that, and it certainly didn't happen to your posts. If you're going to throw around accusations, don't be vague. That's tantamount to libel. If you're merely basing that on what someone else said, quote them rather than asserting that you can tell, which implies that you've got observations of your own.

As for Moderators reacting differently than the membership at large, sometimes they do, and sometimes they don't. No different from the reactions of various member differing, which they also do. And Moderators have a perspective that gives us additional parameters for evaluating posts. Just as an example, the single downvote I could find for any of your posts was from me. I didn't do it because of the content, I did it because that content was totally inappropriate in the Health forum. A lot of regular members don't necessarily notice which forum something is in, but Moderators do, because it's part of our job.

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, viking8x6 said:

From what you can tell? You provide no information about that, and it certainly didn't happen to your posts. If you're going to throw around accusations, don't be vague. That's tantamount to libel. If you're merely basing that on what someone else said, quote them rather than asserting that you can tell, which implies that you've got observations of your own.

As for Moderators reacting differently than the membership at large, sometimes they do, and sometimes they don't. No different from the reactions of various member differing, which they also do. And Moderators have a perspective that gives us additional parameters for evaluating posts. Just as an example, the single downvote I could find for any of your posts was from me. I didn't do it because of the content, I did it because that content was totally inappropriate in the Health forum. A lot of regular members don't necessarily notice which forum something is in, but Moderators do, because it's part of our job.

I think you should have probably stayed out of it because I was not talking to you! Beings you got involved to be clear to everyone this is the moderator that I was speaking about. Stop down voting people’s post. You sure do like to make trouble a lot. 

Edited by lilloveboy
  • Downvote 4

On 2/25/2024 at 7:31 PM, Fuk-u-viking8x6 said:

Stop down voting people’s post. You sure do like to make trouble a lot. 

I might be in the minority here, but I think it's really not that life-changing. Yeah, we enjoy hot stories, we relish the illustrations. We cum buckets and buckets of balljuice.  I have been there...trust me. I too have been downvoted. But it was over something that, in reflection, wasn't important, and starting in negative territory is not that significant. I licked my (self-inflicted) wounds, went away to cool my thoughts and came back. I contributed and went from newbie to enthusiast. OK, not that fabulous, but it's a goal to get to get up to the next rung.  We"re all here to help each other. Life is fucking tough. There are people taking away our fundamental rights...I mean, this site is a valuable resource, but it's also entertainment.....the f'in best entertainment, but it's still entertainment.