Indeterminate HIV results on PrEP

RawSex28

15 hours ago, Fistcumslut said:

I’ve read a lot (not only in this forum) about neg on PrEP and poz on meds but I still have my doubts, IMHO the second situation is safer... all those tests that claim you are neg (even if indeterminate) only state that at the moment you “probably” are neg, don’t forget the latency time of the virus, so... frequently start an stop the PrEP could in my opinion induce a med resistance to the virus.

Poz people regularly on meds are usually undetectable and they don’t have the fear to become poz.

I would NOT say that is better to be poz but if you want stay neg don’t expose yourself to viruses and other bacteria, don’t do unprotected sex, don’t share rigs.

I’m a barebacker, I love it no matter my own or my partner status, but previously I’ve considered and accepted all the possible consequences and I ‘m ready to take any meds, only when necessary, to remove or keep under control any possible MST I could get, in order to protect myself and the others.

Status is irrelevant if you keep yourself in good health and yes I’m feel free... well quite free, I’m married 😉.

My only fear which I don't think is based in reality but I do worry that people may become positive on PrEP, but PrEP is surpressing the virus enough to give false negative results and then the second prep is stopped, you'd convert to pos. And I have seen a few posts that "my very first fuck after PrEP pozzed me"  and maybe they have been pozzed for years but only show it when prep is stopped.

That might be totally unscientific but it's only been a few years where we are supposed to feel safe while barebacking on PrEP, which goes against the 30+ years of what we used to know.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
Guest FinalDL2021

There is something about prep, that does not sit well with me, I just have this gut. Feeling, its going to backfire on a lot of people. 

At least not using it, I know what I am dealing with, and what my odds, are; I don't have to worry about my balls falling off 10 or 15 years from now, metaphorically speaking.

11 minutes ago, Futile2Resist said:

There is something about prep, that does not sit well with me, I just have this gut. Feeling, its going to backfire on a lot of people. 

At least not using it, I know what I am dealing with, and what my odds, are; I don't have to worry about my balls falling off 10 or 15 years from now, metaphorically speaking.

I get sense, and when I first heard about it in the testing phase in 2011, I thought the same.  However, study after study after study have proven this fears to have no justification.

As for the "backfiring" comment, what else were people going to do to stop the spread of HIV!?! Condoms don't get used, people were not getting regular HIV tests, and people were continuing to get infected at pretty much the same rate for the past 20 years, despite treatments that made people unable to spread it.  PrEP is LITERALLY the only thing that has slowed new infections.      

As for the general toxicity of the medication, Tenofovir and Emtricitabine (the two medications in truvada) have been out or in testing for over 20 years at this point, and have successfully been used in immunocompromised individuals who are almost always more susceptible to medication side effects.  Tylenol has more side effects than Truvada...

Really I think in some point you trust in science or you don't.  Dont get me wrong there are plenty of times science has been wrong, but it literally always beats blind belief, prayer, fear, etc.   

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1