Democrat or Republican?

Londonbear

Governments change but the lies stay the same. As Joe Orton observed, scratch a liberal and you’ll find a fascist bleeding. I just resent being expected to vote a certain way because of what I do with my genital organs. The guy I’m with could vote for mice for all I care. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, RawPlug said:

Governments change but the lies stay the same. As Joe Orton observed, scratch a liberal and you’ll find a fascist bleeding. I just resent being expected to vote a certain way because of what I do with my genital organs. The guy I’m with could vote for mice for all I care. 

At least in this country - something you may not have to worry with, assuming you're in Manchester England and not, say, Manchester New Hampshire - one of our two major parties very definitely wants to control what you do with your genitalia. I find that I'm rather more inclined to support the party that isn't trying actively to criminalize what I do with mine. Your mileage may vary.

As for the idiocy that liberalism is just a coating over fascism: bless your heart.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BootmanLA said:

At least in this country - something you may not have to worry with, assuming you're in Manchester England and not, say, Manchester New Hampshire - one of our two major parties very definitely wants to control what you do with your genitalia. I find that I'm rather more inclined to support the party that isn't trying actively to criminalize what I do with mine. Your mileage may vary.

As for the idiocy that liberalism is just a coating over fascism: bless your heart.

It was a quote. But one I have often found out to be a truism through experience. 

• Like 2

Just now, BootmanLA said:

Again, bless your heart.

If you don’t accept that the current cancel culture doesn’t bear it out, then I doubt we shall agree and suggest we respect each other’s different opinion and leave it there.  

• Like 1

Since I think "cancel culture" is yet another myth by pissed-off white supremacists who are pissed off that they don't control the world in its entirety any more, yeah, I suspect we won't agree on much. That said, I'll respect your right to have any opinion you want, which is not to say I will respect the opinion itself.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, BootmanLA said:

Since I think "cancel culture" is yet another myth by pissed-off white supremacists who are pissed off that they don't control the world in its entirety any more, yeah, I suspect we won't agree on much. That said, I'll respect your right to have any opinion you want, which is not to say I will respect the opinion itself.

Well, I’m not sure the recent shrill attempt to cancel JK Rowling was a myth - or was propagated by white supremacists, but there it is. 

• Like 1

Of course it's a myth. Has Rowling been silenced? Of course not. Has she been banned from any platforms? No. Is she still fabulously wealthy? Yes. If she were to go back to writing as opposed to living on the proceeds of what she's made to date (for which I do not fault her, mind you), would she likely have a publisher for her work? Yes.

The problem is that for conservo-libertariats, who scream "free markets" at every opportunity and who think it's an intolerable burden on a bakery's rights to be forced to treat gay and straight engaged couples alike when ordering food for a wedding reception, it's suddenly a 180-degree turn when that market says "We find your opinions loathsome and we don't want to patronize you any longer." They demand freedom to express an opinion and then scream "cancel culture!" when they discover a huge number of people simply won't listen to them, and the free market decides it no longer wants to invest money in a losing bet.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, BootmanLA said:

Of course it's a myth. Has Rowling been silenced? Of course not. Has she been banned from any platforms? No. Is she still fabulously wealthy? Yes. If she were to go back to writing as opposed to living on the proceeds of what she's made to date (for which I do not fault her, mind you), would she likely have a publisher for her work? Yes.

The problem is that for conservo-libertariats, who scream "free markets" at every opportunity and who think it's an intolerable burden on a bakery's rights to be forced to treat gay and straight engaged couples alike when ordering food for a wedding reception, it's suddenly a 180-degree turn when that market says "We find your opinions loathsome and we don't want to patronize you any longer." They demand freedom to express an opinion and then scream "cancel culture!" when they discover a huge number of people simply won't listen to them, and the free market decides it no longer wants to invest money in a losing bet.

Well, all I will say to that is that I went out and bought JK Rowling’s new book and not because I wanted to read it, or ever will, to counter the shrill, hysterical voices who did seek to cancel her, whether we want to believe it or not. 

• Like 1

Here’s one of the quotes that got JK Rowling in trouble:

“I refuse to bow down to a movement that I believe is doing demonstrable harm in seeking to erode ‘woman’ as a political and biological class and offering cover to predators like few before it," she said.

Most of it is just idiotic blather, but the final clause in which she embraces the paranoia that trans people (and by extension gays) are predators is just fucking harmful bullshit and deserves condemnation.

As is the silly-ass buzz-phrase “cancel culture.”  If the right-wing runs a boycott against Target for supporting gay rights or a Kodak commercial featuring a gay wedding, well that’s just fine, individuals using the economic power of the marketplace to express an opinion. But if individuals turn that same economic power against a right-wing darling or company, then it’s “cancel culture” and listen to the howls and screams.

If Rowling expresses an opinion some people will like it and some won’t.She isn’t special and she isn’t immune and she doesn’t earn kid-glove treatment  because she wrote some bestsellers. 
If you want to call it cancel culture well, as BootmanLA said, bless your little heart. Me, I’ll call it bovine excrement.

Edited by BBArchangel
  • Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, faggotbitchboi said:

Frankly my dears, I don't give a damn!

Probably the most sensible attitude, and I don’t know why I got drawn into the bloody argument in the first place as I’m basically a political nihilist. It’s a plague on all their houses as far as I’m concerned.